HybridZ

Rotary? I think so...

Guest cozy

13B Twin Turbo JDM w/ 5 Speed Transmission... $1,450. All I have to do is fab up some mounts, drop it in, and figure out what to do for an EMU. I was thinking of getting the APEXi PowerFC to manage the RX7 Rotary. Also, I know this is gonna drop the weight of the front of the car... and I wonder how this is going to effect performance and ride of the car. I dunno, what do you all think? Should I drop the 13B 1.3L in my 1973 Datsun 260Z? I think I should... why not?

Talk to Owen and Auxilliary, they've both done it (well, not with the turbo I don't think, but the rotary anyway-Owen and Aux, correct me if I'm worng?). There was a pretty good thread about Aux's car going with pictures, it should be easy to find, I think it's called "so you want to swap a rotary into your datsun" or something like that.

* edit * that thread is actually still on the first page of the other engines section, like 10 threads down from this one

After reading and looking at the photos of stuff... it sounded like a good idea at the time... but sounds more like a hassle than anything. So... I think I'm gonna go a different route. And I know before I say it... most people will say "go with the SR20DET" but I was thinking about putting a KA24DE in my Z... but it's hard to find a complete engine and transmission for it. I dunno... I might stick with the L24(found out my car is a 240Z not a 260Z)... or go for the Small Block swap. But a KA24DE would be cool too.

hard to find a ka24de? they're dime a dozen. Any s13/s14 guy that is doing an sr20det swap has a spare motor, likely in running condition.

and yes, your Z is a 240. 260 was '74 only.

I assume you mean a turbo KA block, because it's really pointless to swap in an NA KA24DE.

you should also note that there's a nissan 4 cylinder forum

well, my weight of the Z was 2430 with 1/2 tank of gas, 4 piston caliper swap, no rollbar, '73 year heavy bumpers and a spare tire, and r200

now I have a 71 bumper (25 lbs lighter because of mounts), an autopower rollbar, a rear sway, and wankel. we'll see

• Administrators
a fully loaded 13B weighs as much as a cast iron small block ford with aluminum heads IIRC. The LSx engines are lighter.

I'm not entirely convinced of that. I believe its generally agreed that a SBF is lighter than a comparably equiped SBC. In weighing the LS1, its not as much lighter as frequently touted...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115995&highlight=ls1+traditional

I'm not disagreeing with you... I don't have enough concrete data to unequivocally say one way or another. I'm just a little skeptical on HOW much difference there really is.

well, my weight of the Z was 2430 with 1/2 tank of gas, 4 piston caliper swap, no rollbar, '73 year heavy bumpers and a spare tire, and r200

now I have a 71 bumper (25 lbs lighter because of mounts), an autopower rollbar, a rear sway, and wankel. we'll see

I believe Cozy was just considering the engine itself.

I recently realized those damn iron plates are pretty heavy when I rebuilt my rotary. It'd be nice to have some of those aluminum ones:-)

• Administrators
Hmm, there was a long list online of different engine weights, can't find it now...I thought I remember the 13BT being pretty heavy. Who knows?

Ahhhhh... the 'T' could easily make all the difference. If we're talking factory sequential turbos, I suspect you're correct... it's probably a fairly heavy package.

Ahhhh, all the weight with half of the torque; should make a nice combo :mrgreen:

Davy

I made up my mind... after buying "Building Budget Performance Small Block Chevys" by David Vizard... I think I'm just gonna go with a SBC swap... and then putting a 2JZ in my 80 Chevy Stepside...

Wow, good thread. It's added a bit of humor to my day. Thanks guys.

Cozy, really REALLY know what you're going into before jumpinh in. I obviously don't know much about you yet, but nothing you've said so far has screamed "I know what I'm talking about". The SBC should be doable with anyone with the tools for it, but you never now...

...and good luck with the 2jz project.

I'm proud of the knowledge I do have for only being as old as I am(17)... most of my knowledge is in Chevrolet stuff though, specifically in the Small Blocks and in the Chevy Trucks... but I'm working on expanding my knowledge into other brands and hybrid combinations... which is partly why I subscribed to this forum, because I would like to learn alot more about all makes and models.