HybridZ

Strengthening BadDog rails

Guest Crispy Chicken

It all most seems like less work not to use the baddog rails at all. If your going to go threw all the trouble. Trying to make them better and stronger. I'd just go with pete's design and never think about it ever again. Considering they're probably 500% stronger square compared to the u shaped ones.

Derek

It all most seems like less work not to use the baddog rails at all. If your going to go threw all the trouble. Trying to make them better and stronger. I'd just go with pete's design and never think about it ever again. Considering they're probably 500% stronger square compared to the u shaped ones.

Derek

Thats what I've been trying to say!

now post some of your setup so that they can see what we mean. LOL

and some updates might be coolz0r :D

Guest Crispy Chicken

COAwwy3D3wHCUFDRr0Qpw-2JhdFCIPb60280.jpg

MQ+k6-sEy7ZuKAJqP+efx359B5pBkVgw0280.jpg

Derek_3.JPG

The front rails are "2.5x2.5" rear "2x3" .120 wall 11 gauge 3mm thick

front "63.5mm x 63.5mm" rear "50.8mm x 76.2mm"

Oh the floor is all cut out now.. =)

Derek

^^^^^^Makes sense to me^^^^^^

I think for 99% of the applications, the BD rails and sub frame connectors will do the trick. Once welded to the floor pan, they become a box, so for almost all (except for the highest torque) applications, they will greatly increase the stiffness of the stock chassis beyond what would be required. Adding any more metal will just increase weight, unless that level of stiffness is require (that's what she said). :mrgreen:

Man Prefab Rails...what is the world coming to?

I made mine using a bench edge, then welded them in with a torch...while under the car...

Times change, huh?

Sounds like they are a stout product. I made mine out of the same thickness steel as OEM. They are still there 20 years later. But I moved from Japan to SoCal, so longevity of repair parts left untreated on the backside should be good...

Those Maddog rails look heaps strong enough. If you want more rigidity run RHS or similar under the sill/rocker panels. Weld to the OE pinch welds and bracket them across under the floor a few times. Tie the front ends into the tension rod pickups and the backs into the bottom mounting points of a half cage.

Why? Believe it or not the OE rails were removed on my 260Z, completely, and it relied solely on the above described 'perimeter chassis'. That car effectively used up to 300lb springs and handled great on the race track, pics on my site below.

A practical bonus is the sills can then be used as jacking points, anywhere, handy when you are changing over to the R tyre wheels.