HybridZ

questions about this turbo adapter T3 to T3 spacer

bobbyc

i'm gonna put a hx35w on my z...the housing hits the exhaust manifold so it's gonna need a spacer...and i've come across these...looks ideal because of the external wastegate flange. but i'm wondering if anyone has used one...and could tell me the overall length of this spacer and how far out it is gonna put the turbo...i e-mailed the seller and all they could tell me was that all they knew was in the auction. here's a pic

t3t303.jpg

and the link to the auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=250075217440

thanks

Guys,

I bought one of these. Here are some pictures against a ruler.

img2080ia3.th.jpg img2078ci1.th.jpg img2075zj4.th.jpg

img2073hd6.th.jpg img2072bm8.th.jpg img2070ie7.th.jpg

img2081fr1.th.jpg

Biggest issues are that the casting has the wrong bolt pattern for the L6 turbo flange and that there is not clearance to use a stud or bolt to attach it to the exhaust manifold (picture above is of the stock nut for the turbo exhaust manifold studs).

My thought so far is to cut off the stock manifold studs and machine them flat, even with the flange on the manifold. Then drill and install some locating pins to hold the adapter fixed in 2 planes. I would then weld the adapter to the flange on the exhaust manifold (pins allow expansion out of plane to the flange. After that tap the opposite set of holes in the adapter and install new exhaust studs.

Jay

Guest 280ZForce

Jay - maybe this would work better for you...you can shave off the studs and drill and tap the manifold and the adapter flange for the size bolt that you would need to fit on the adapter nicely and just use some loc-tite to make it all good.

Also, I'm assuming since the compressor housing hit the manifold, have you checked to make sure the turbo won't hit the wastegate flange on that adapter?

You mentioned you wanted the wastegate on the bottom of the flange, well you could have it cut off and have the hole welded shut and then have a hole cut out for the new place you want it and weld it back on there. Not sure how much work you want to do to this lil adapter though.

i am running this same spacer /adaptor. ended up taking it to a welder and having it welded to the exhaust manifold. this is the only way I could make it work without reinventing the part. Works great! No steering clearance issues. I am running a garrett t3/t4. had to rotate the center slightly so the stock nissan drain pipe would clear the steering shaft. Sits a bit close to the brake proportion valve so I made a turbo shield from a ss pot to avoid brake fade. An extension pipe for clearance issues has to be made to attach the wastegate [TIAL] in my case. puts the waste gate in the perfect spot to plumb it into the exhaust. I will try to post a pic. tc.

that really helps...i was also thinkin for the wastegate i could just flip the spacer around and run it that way...so it's facing the firewall. i might just get it welded...sounds like the best idea. or if it is a major pita to get this to fit i can make my own with 2 T3 flanges and some metal...might be easier...but this info definately helps...thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bobby! Yes, if you can get the exact measurement of the spacer that would be great. I may follow this route too. It also appears you welded your external waste gate to the manifold. It's looking really good!