HybridZ

Hmmm sway bars??

Hey all, I have been searching for sway bar options throughout this forum and found some good input. I want a stiff setup of for autocross and drifting so I was considering the 1 1/8 front and 7/8 rear suspension techniques kit but I wanted some input from people that have used them. I also read that you want reinforcement up front because of the sway bar being so stiff. Anyone have pics of there setup like this?? Also anyone have any input on if this setup is too stiff or just right? I have motorsport springs with macphearson struts.

Also Im planning on gettin the sportmax 15X8 with 0 offset wheels for my Z. I have seen proxlamus' car with these wheels and they look great. I wanted to go with a lil smaller sidewall and was wondering if anyone had any pics of a Z running these wheels with 225/50r15's. I have seen the pic of the green one but anyone have a car with them on that is lowered, mine is probably 1.25" lower then stock and I just want to see some lowered Z's with these wheels. Any input would be awesome Thanks guys

I would go with the ST swaybars. 1" Front and 3/4 Rear.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=STQ%2D52095&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Check out http://www.baddogparts.com/ for swaybar plates. Click products and scroll down to the bottom.

What class do you want to run in autoX. Not sure what class these swaybar plates are legal in... I think you would be put in Prepared. John Coffey can help you if he sees this post. He helped me out!

I would go 16x8 if you want to run 225/50...

225/50 16 is the correct size.

If you are serious then reinforced bar mounting points and stiffer brackets/bushes are a must, there are searchable pics in the gallery.

Max 25mm front bar, the rear size depends on how much power, how you want the car to handle, etc, etc, smaller there is usually better unless you are looking for oversteer.

Yah, definatly stifen the mounting points. I slapped a 1.125" bar on the front of my 280 (got it used, unknown aftermarket manufacturer, sorry) and it made it handle great... unfortunatly, it's also ripped the front frame rails apart! :x The shear stresses on the sheet metal 'box' of the front rails is actuallly tearing the steal where the sway bar plates are bolted on. There are other issues with my car, so a complete front end teardown and re-build is needed, but if you're car is in decent shape right now, I'd put some re-enforcement in there if you do the heavy sway bar.

I use the ST 1-1/8 and 7/8 set on my 280Z. The car handles flat as a table. I found that it works better on the street (bumps, ridges) if i loosen the endlinks on the front swaybar a little. So if you do go with it. You might want to try rubber bushings instead of poly on the front...or just go with the 1" up front.

If you do use the bigger one, you can always crank down on the endlinks for autocross and back them off for street. It's not quite "adjustable" but slightly "tuneable" that way.

It seems that the real road racers on here go with less swaybar and more spring/shock for track.

I think, thats think, bigger sway bars rather than stiffer springs are the go, although the springs will still have to be much stiffer than stock. I'm told that a drift car is set up similar to a circuit car but with heavier bars to make it slideable.

I've never heard about the mounts getting ripped off from the 1 1/8" bar.

Damn.... now I'm going to look into getting mine strengthened.

My car has the 1 1/8" front and 7/8" rear, it's also lowered almost 3in, it corners very flat. It is very neutral, possibly too much so for my inexperience...

Mario

What do you mean by very neutral? How long have you had your bars on? Also what type of driving do you do? Basically I will be doing mostly street driving but autocrossing and drifting when the events come up. Its hard to practice drifting without doing it illegally but I want to try and find owners of businesses who dont care about their parking lots which is also hard. They had an event for UTI last month but too bad the school screws you over to make you pay $250 for two days.