HybridZ

How to use MegaSquirts boost control for $24

proxlamus©

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen a wastegate that opens and shuts faster than my eye can see when I am making a full throttle run through 3rd and 4th gear??

Full boost is on for quite some time, seconds. Wouldn't the LED work in this case. Even if the wastegate opens and shuts during full boost portin, it will not cycle that fast.

The boost controller doesn't just open the waste gate at a certain pressure and then leave it open (this is how a manual valve works), it modulates it on an off very rapidly. This is how more precise control is obtained. It is essentially a feedback loop. The ECU monitors manifold pressure, and then changes the duty cycle on the pressure valve to maintain a preset pressure. This is why the configuration control parameters for the boost control are so important.

The IAC algorithm is trying to maintain a stable idle, where the boost controller tries to maintain a stable manifold pressure. But the way it modulates the IAC valve on and off is similar to a boost controller. Yes, the MSII could do it, but it would take some significant code changes.

Just my two cents here.... it's been a long-held rule that 30 hz, or 30 events of any kind was the limit for the human eye to detect... but there has been a long standing debate in the gaming world about this, because many serious gamers/hardware modders were convinced otherwise. When gaming, the FPS performance (Frames Per Second that your video card will render the games graphics) is important, especially to the "Shooter" genre... if you are running 30fps (equivalent in this discussion to 30hz) and your opponent was capable of 60 or 100+hz.... he had an advantage in the twitch response times. The difference between 30 FPS and 60 in most games is easily discernible, and for some players, the difference between 60 and 120 is noticeable as well. In the past few years there have finally been scientific studies that have muddied the waters, but at least proved that there was no set in stone limit for our ability to discern these minute and rapid changes.

Almost completely off-topic, but it relates in that someone with decent eyes who is looking for these differences to begin with will probably have more latitude than you might think. More important in this instance would be the medium you use to display the oscillations... many devices will not show the cycle accurately, or will not be able to go from completely dark to completely lit and back again as fast as your signal does... and will appear to be constantly on, or will show a flicker with insufficient extremes for you to easily see. Anyone who has bought or considered buying an LCD monitor will know this phenomenon as "Ghosting"... pixels that can not cycle as fast as the input does, and therefore leave a ghost image trail behind moving images.

• 1 year later...

You know I think the biggest problem is my 021u code.

I tried switching once to 029 and I don't know what happened but no matter what the settings my car ran like absolute crap. I couldn't figure it out. So if 021u works.. it works lol.

Maybe I'll try to update again over the next few weeks. Then maybe the unit will work!!

• 2 weeks later...

Although i didn't read the whole thread, it seemed people said MS2 can't use this. But actually, there is MS2 Extra, which is a pretty feature rich developed codebase. It's what i'll be using.

Also, the "experimental" Boost controller originally implemented for MS extra wasn't actually done the best i don't think. I know they made some significant changes recently to the MS2 one (which was originally the same as the MS1 extra one). Apparantly it responds at lot better now as the got the PID algorithm working better. They also modded the idle algorithm too (which is PID as well).

PID = Proportional, Integral, and Derivative values. Wiki has a good description of it in case you're wondering how these things work.

Mark

I believe that this thread was started so long ago that MS2 extra did not exist. Now it does so it should offer a lot of advantages. Over the last two years I have not come across anyone on the net that is using MSI or MS2 extra to run boost control. Maybe someone is doing it now and will come forward.

I believe that this thread was started so long ago that MS2 extra did not exist. Now it does so it should offer a lot of advantages. Over the last two years I have not come across anyone on the net that is using MSI or MS2 extra to run boost control. Maybe someone is doing it now and will come forward.

We've used MS1/Extra for boost control on several of our project cars. The best way to make it work is to force it into open loop, where it runs pretty well. We never did get the closed loop mode working. GM boost control solenoids, and the EBC solenoid we now sell, work well at 19.5 Hz.

As for MS2/Extra boost control, we have tested open loop mode on the bench and found it's pretty straightforward to implement, but we have not yet tested it on a car.

• 3 months later...
Well i wired this up last night and im going to be using the ebc valve that diy sells. ill let ya know how it works!!!

Subscribed, keep us posted, I am very anxious to see this work after so long.

Adam Slver