HybridZ

How to use MegaSquirts boost control for $24

proxlamus©

Walk through on how it works.. pictures and install.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=925829

Basically its a small "relay" with 3 wires... and it uses a fast acting valve.

(boost control "kit")

http://www.sparkandfuel.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=39

and ofcourse.. the MegaManual for the boost controller and how to tune

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Hardware_Manual.htm#boost

I am buying the parts this week =)

Ohh.. btw it is tuned using a TPS and RPM map..

so yes you can have 5 psi all the time below 3/4 throttle

then have 20psi at full throttle

or have 10psi till 3,800rpm then kick in to 20psi.. help launch the car

or lower the boost at high RPM's to prevent detonation

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you set this up with same features as what Big Phil is running? I like the feature of how you can adjust the speed of the w/g actuation like on his setup.

I did not know much about how the boost control works with megasquirt untill I already bought my profec b controler. The one big thing I like about the profec, is- On high boost I set it to 16 psi.....well, in 1st gear It hits 16 psi!! I have never been able to hit such high boost in 1st gear? and with the waste gate acuator setting on "sharp", or fast acting, it does'nt just kinda make it to 16 psi in 1st, it goes there instantly!! I mean BOOM 16psi That feels VERY powerfull!

I wonder if you could run both controlers? I do like megasquirts ability to have the boost come down a bit at a certain rpm, say at the drag strip, or on the street, you want 18psi up untill 5800 rpm, that would be nice if you wanted to go flat out, but 5800 rpm was when you wanted to start saving your motor, so you only want 14 psi over that. I like that idea.

edit: Also if you watch my "after tune drive" video, those 2nd gear tire spinning around the corners was 9psi!!! Now I can hit 16psi in 2nd, I've got to make another video!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrOxLaMuS© viewpost.gif

Basically its a small "relay" with 3 wires... and it uses a fast acting valve.

Could the "command valve" on the Holset HE351 be utilized as the "fast acting valve? All of this is very interesting, I just bought a Holset and a L28 turbo shortblock for my 260.

TIA

chris

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrOxLaMuS© viewpost.gif

no.. the command valve adjusts the variable vain technology if I recall.

but I dont know for sure.. worth a shot to do some research

The Holset HE351 is just a later gen HY35. It does not have variable vane technology. The command valve is an electrical selenoid that operates a type of spool valve. It is located on the compressor housing and the wastegate can gets its signal from this valve. I have been researching quite a lot on the Holset site and various Cummins sites. The Holset site expounds on it's superior technology without telling exactly how it works. I will post my findings.

chris

The Holset HE351 is just a later gen HY35. It does not have variable vane technology. The command valve is an electrical selenoid that operates a type of spool valve. It is located on the compressor housing and the wastegate can gets its signal from this valve. I have been researching quite a lot on the Holset site and various Cummins sites. The Holset site expounds on it's superior technology without telling exactly how it works. I will post my findings.

chris

I recently picked up an HE351 and I am really looking foward to see if this will work.

are you going to post up your results? i need boost control and water injector control to work with ms before it would be worth my time to switch over.

Like Pete said, Water Injector Controller has been in the Extra Code for a while, only looked at it in passing, but it's in there...

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ does not ship to international buyers. Can anyone order 5 for me? I can pay you via paypal or just send you dollars in an envelope. It's rather hard to get these parts cheap here in Holland.

What are they, how much, and would they fit in a priority mail package so they get there faster than the turbo exhaust manifold??? You know better than to ask who can pick it up! Order extra, and then lord them over Frank!

PM me the details, and I can do it this week, I'm in-town according to the schedule I just saw, so should have time to pick them up/order, and ship...etc.

Like Pete said, Water Injector Controller has been in the Extra Code for a while, only looked at it in passing, but it's in there...

Why can't I find anyone successfully using ms to control boost? I have searched the msefi website many times with no info available....a lot of people SEEM to have tried, but run into issues, then disappear. Or I'm not looking in the right places. Water injection control will be done using the main tables anyway so extra code won't be needed for what I'm going to be doing.

this only works for a ms 1? not ms2?

So far, only MSnS-E firmware has any support for boost control. Some people have tried using the standard spare output code on MS-II for boost control, but usually this results in boost that bounces around a bit. From what I've heard, it's common for boost to bounce up and down by 1 psi if you're using the generic spare output code.

• 2 weeks later...