HybridZ

Why Would Some Try & Steal My Plate Sticker?

slownrusty

Gang - Just venting I guess. I recently re-newed my plate stickers tags and on the weekend when I was washing my car, I noticed that someone had tried peeling it off and ripped a decent section off the new sticker.

I was thinking which idiot would do that? I am sure if a cop was to run a plate they can tell if they have a current tag or expired? Seems stupid and pointless?

What are you guys thoughts?

Yasin

That is a very common theft. It keeps them from getting pulled over for expired tags. Whenever I put on a new sticker, I peel off the old one, clean the surface so the new sticker will stick properly, then make numerous cross hatch cuts through the new sticker with a razor blade. That way the sticker can't be taken off in one piece.

If you have 100 years of old stickers applied on old stickers, then you are theft bait. Those come off real easy.

Well i think if someone really wanted a sticker they would just take the whole plate off and peal the sticker off with a heat gun. The best thing to do is cut it with a blade in an X shape and then put a plastic cover over the plate so that he cant even get to it. Unless you got a screwdriver.

I collect plates so i know a thing or two about protecting them. And its about $27 to replace a pair of graphicals with a sticker...and about $16 for a pair of regural passenger tags with a sticker. Thats prices for IL DMV... and down side to it is that you have to go to the DMV to fill in the replacement form and wait for about 4 weeks.

Yep.

A few years back I watched someone heat an auto plate untill it was almost smoking and slid the sticker off. I was perplexed at first untill I saw them later rubber cement it to another car.

Its a ploy to avoid being pulled over. Once pulled over however, it's OVER.

Funny how some folks will work really hard to avoid the real easy way out.

Buy your own!!

Lapsing insurance is the biggy. No insurance, no sticker.

Guest TeamNissan
Delaware started printing your tag number on the sticker, so it cant be used on another car. The police can pull you over to verify that the sticker belongs to the car if they want to. Sticker theft has all but disappeared

Ya jersey needs to work on improving thier system like that. We even still use non reflective inspection stickers I could IN THEORY just print out on my computer lol. The stickers are such a crock too, I got mailed a renewal set fr my old beater. I actualy put them on correctly, preping and all. In front of my eyes on a warm summer day I watched it fall off as I was having a beer and working on a friends car lol.

Delaware started printing your tag number on the sticker, so it cant be used on another car. The police can pull you over to verify that the sticker belongs to the car if they want to. Sticker theft has all but disappeared

Funny that you mention about DE becuase they have a five year registration on there cars. Which gives them a long renewal for their car. And as a matter a fact there plates still have been using the same base as the 1972 to the present and the sticker has the same last 4 digits as youre plate for easy identification of the vehicle. The first and the smartest state Delaware :-)