HybridZ

New springs and struts.

Guest BronctailZ

Im interested in doing the same thing but do not know if I need the springs. I plan on keeping and polishing the orig 14's. The rear struts are leaking but the car is not sagging. I plan on keeping it mostly classic stock. It only has 52k on it and I just became the second owner. Interested in a nice ride like the original post said. How will the 1" lowering springs affect the ride? I'd imagine by lowering it itll make the 14's more attractive but does that sacrifice ride? Should I just go with the Tokico shocks/struts or will the springs be good for me as well? The only reason why I was going with the Tokico's over the KYB's was on shox.com they turned out cheaper with free shipping. I'd imagine this is going through the original poster's head because he seems to have the same theories I do.

Guest BronctailZ
What do you mean they are leaking? lol

Struts as well as shocks have oil in them. They can leak through seals that hold the oil in them. I cannot teach you right now how they work because this is not the thread to do so. I was looking to see if anyone had an educated answer for me as well as the original poster to this thread.

From my experience with the Tokico HP shocks and springs on a ZX, they're kinda stiff. I have stock springs and struts on my ZX though and hitting a pothole or railroad tracks is rough, but my buddies 83 with the Tokicos is like hitting a curb when theres anything on the road. I'd like to go that route one day simply because it's nice and stiff for cornering, but for right now, I'll stick with stock and get larger rims to improve my handling some. So long as these stock springs don't start to sag like my olds ones did it's fine.

Guest TeamNissan
Struts as well as shocks have oil in them. They can leak through seals that hold the oil in them. I cannot teach you right now how they work because this is not the thread to do so. I was looking to see if anyone had an educated answer for me as well as the original poster to this thread.

They are gas shocks man, the oil leaking out is hydrolic fluid that insolates them.

Teach me? You need to teach yourself lol.

I would agree with naviathan - new springs and struts do stiffen up the suspension. I wouldn't say that it made the ride uncomfortable, but it did change the feel of the car. With the Tokico Illumina struts you can set them to a softer ride level, which helps. Personally if I'm going to replace the springs or the struts I'll do both just to save the time and energy.

(insert another sales pitch here) If you are interested in springs or struts let me know.

They are gas shocks man, the oil leaking out is hydrolic fluid that insolates them.

Both of you guys needs to find someone else to teach yourselves about shocks. Gas shocks still use oil as the damping medium. And ANY shock that is leaking is junk.

What are you talking about dude? Gas shocks are hydraulic. They just have gas in them to prevent foaming of the hydraulic fluid. Struts leak when the seals go bad. Period. If this guy has a leaking strut, then that's what he has. I think maybe you do need some teaching...