HybridZ

which ass. lube to get?

2003z

getting ready to put my engine back together. Its in the oven right now, curing the powdercoat. Not sure which brand/spec of lube I need for the assembly.

If anyone saw my other threads, it turned out I got the wrong sized rings originally. That problem is taken care of and now I am only waiting on the harmonic balancer I bought off of ebay (and the seller won't respond with a status :< )

I like to use this stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anal-Eaze-Desensitization-Cream-1-5-oz-lube-NIB_W0QQitemZ270029004761QQihZ017QQcategoryZ36436QQcmdZViewItem?refid=store&gclid=CKT7kOKVm4oCFSCzgAodoUWhhg

Sorry man, with a thread title like that, you had to know it was coming...I've got some assembly lube made by permatex that I didn't really like, it was too syrupy, and got my hands all sticky. I used it when I was changing my head since the one I was using had been sitting for a long time. It worked fine, I just didn't like the side effects.

I like to use this stuff...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anal-Eaze-Desensitization-Cream-1-5-oz-lube-NIB_W0QQitemZ270029004761QQihZ017QQcategoryZ36436QQcmdZViewItem?refid=store&gclid=CKT7kOKVm4oCFSCzgAodoUWhhg

Sorry man, with a thread title like that, you had to know it was coming...I've got some assembly lube made by permatex that I didn't really like, it was too syrupy, and got my hands all sticky. I used it when I was changing my head since the one I was using had been sitting for a long time. It worked fine, I just didn't like the side effects.

sounds like a personal problem. ha ha

jimbo

... now I am only waiting on the harmonic balancer I bought off of ebay (and the seller won't respond with a status :< )

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. The ebay ad does say it takes up to 4 weeks since it is a custom item that they order from the manufacturer. I won't be buying anything through a seller like that again.

Any brand from your local auto parts store will work just fine. Only use it on bearing journals, including the cam bearing journals. Only use cam break in compound on new cam lobes. If the cam is used, coat it with motor oil. I typically fill the engine with oil with the cam cover off, so I can pour it all over the cam and valve-train. Only use motor oil to lube the cylinder walls and pistons.

If you haven't done so, make a engine primer with an old disty shaft for attachment to a drill. This way you can see that you have oil everywhere, including the cam. I'm sure someone has posted details on how to make one a bunch of times on this site.

Pete

aha...another person has powdercoated their engine block! :-D

J/k...

Did you coat it your favorite color Mike?

I used the red tube (astroglide?) of stuff from autozone and I really liked it while putting my block back together. It's fairly easy to clean off of your hands too.

Good luck with getting your motor back together!

Dan

I was going to do candy lime green, but Teresa convinced me not too, in case I ever change the color of the car. Next was candy black, but all the texture of the block didn't work and it looked like silver dots all over, so I went with mirror black.

Its mostly assembled now.