HybridZ

Yesterday was my lucky day! RB26 Arrived!

Booztd 3

Guys

After ordering my motor from http://www.royaljapanesemotors.com last week, I got the call from my older bro that the engine was delivered to his shop yesterday. Being conerned that I was going to get what I was sent pictures of, I asked him what the motor looked like. I was originally sent pictures of this motor.....an R32 RB26DETT

RB26DETT_4.jpg

So I asked him if it was blue........blue he sais? "I dont see any blue on it, it looks stock to me"

So now I get to thinking, great, I dont get the motor they sent me pics of, I probably am not getting the motor they did the compression test on as well. Im guessing I probably got some piece of junk.

Before I started getting my panties in a bunch, he started telling me how clean it looked and he couldnt find any broken clips or anything like that.

I was able to make it down to the shop a few hours later to inpsect the motor and work on a few other things. Upon spotting the motor, a huge smile came over my face......why you ask? This is what they sent me

RB26DETT_R33_01.JPG

RB26DETT_R33_02.JPG

RB26DETT_R33_04.JPG

RB26DETT_R33_09.JPG

Those familiar enough with the RB26 will have noticed on the first pic that THIS IS AN R33 MOTOR! The first thing I checked was the ECU - 24U00. Then I checked the Power Steering Pump, and finally a few big indicators is that the intake plenum paint doesnt chip off, and the motor sensors all have grey connector plugs.

At this point I was extremely excited because I could not find anyone willing to part with an R33 for less than 1000 bucks more than what they wanted for an R32 motor. I'm not sure if it was a mistake or they just sent me what they had, most likely they didnt know what they were sending me. Either way, Im stoked!

Now lets move on to part two of why yesterday rocked so much......

We wanted to get a good jumpstart on the motor and getting it all ready to go in the car, so we started dissasembling things. I already have a buyer for the trans and oil pan, so the first thing to come off was the tranny.

We get the tranny off after a little work and BOOM what do I find?

OS_Giken_1.JPG

OS_Giken_2.JPG

OS_Giken_6.JPG

That right there is an OS Giken Triple Disc clutch setup. I looked around on the internet and it looks like they're selling for 2200 or so. We pulled all the plates apart and they all seem to be in excellent condition. We put the clutch setup on to my new tranny and the input shaft splines are all the same, so I know i'll be able to use this clutch!

All together I paid 3500 Shipped for the motor from royal japanese. They were very easy to work with, they sent out the tracking number the same day, and I got the motor in 5 days from Canada. I could not ask for anything more!

Guest TeamNissan

Congrats, thats a deal and a half right there lol. It does look to me that its a r33 motor but I'm no expert.

I would make sure to check that engine and turbos over with a fine tooth comb too because if someone sprung for that clutch they were surely running the hell out of the motor.

Very nice and clean motor bro.!! I wouldn't get to rapped up in the R32/R33 thing. Long as you get a motor in great cond. like that one appears to be in... you did well.

Thanks!

I was concerned if it was an R33 because its my understanding that I wouldnt need to have the crank machined and then have to install the crank collar. The R33 motors you can just slap the Jun/Tomei/etc pumps on and let her rip, right?

Not to rain on your parade but... The clutch on your motor is a push-type. If my understanding is correct, the later R32 GTR's switched to the pull-type clutch.

Who knows what the previous owner of that motor did. That is the fun of buying used parts. Even the importer/dismantler does not know.

Spend the extra money you saved on freshening it up. Be carefull not to get into the "As long as its apart" syndrome.

The crank collar thing does seem a little over rated like J. Soileau said. Guess it all comes down to what you will be doing with the motor.

My plans are to build this motor with CP Pistons, Crower Rods, ARP Head & Mainstuds, JUN Oil Pump, ACL bearings, and a Tomei HG. That all should be happening in ~2 months. I want to get the motor fit in the car first, and then get it fired up on the AEM EMS before I go splitting the motor apart.

Nice grab...Congrats on youre motor coming in in one piece. Looks very clean and for a good price too $3500 is a steal deal even for an R32 motor makes really no diffrence when you gona be rebuilding the living hell out of it. The clutch is sure nice too.....!!!

I got mine about 3 mounths back it was an R33 motor top notch clean and shinny. The ECU that you have looks like an R33 one i got a take a look on mine to double check.

You mentioned that "few big indicators is that the intake plenum paint doesnt chip off" is that just indicated how much heat it was exposed to or something eles?

Keep us poseted!!

Nice score man.Thats clean. It looks exactly like my motor only cleaner.Mine came with a Nismo twin disc clutch ( pull type). Search around, somewhere I saw a detailed description on swapping from push to pull.Theres provisions inside the bellhousing to easyily make the change. Good luck with the project.

You mentioned that "few big indicators is that the intake plenum paint doesnt chip off" is that just indicated how much heat it was exposed to or something eles?

Nissan actually changed the paint on the R33 plenums. The problem was identified that it woudl just get hot and crack off.

My plans are to build this motor with CP Pistons, Crower Rods, ARP Head & Mainstuds, JUN Oil Pump, ACL bearings, and a Tomei HG. That all should be happening in ~2 months. I want to get the motor fit in the car first, and then get it fired up on the AEM EMS before I go splitting the motor apart.

Good call on getting it running first -- it will save you lots of headaches later, and oh, you won't be sitting on a project several years later like some of us!

I'm using a push type clutch setup, if you don't end up using that style - let me know, I'm interested in your clutch setup.

As for what to look for to tell if its a R32 or 33, check here:

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=160362

And:

Shoot, I can't find it right now... There is a sensor on the plenum which is positioned differently... I'll have to take a look next week.

-Bob

if they sold the motor you bought,than why is it still for sale on the website?

Thats the thing that threw me off, I was sent 4 pictures of the motor that is on their website (blue valve covers), and thought thats what was being delivered. Then this guy showed up.......all in all im quite happy though, I think I got the better end of the deal.

Good call on getting it running first -- it will save you lots of headaches later, and oh, you won't be sitting on a project several years later like some of us!

I'm using a push type clutch setup, if you don't end up using that style - let me know, I'm interested in your clutch setup.

As for what to look for to tell if its a R32 or 33, check here:

http://forums2.freshalloy.com/showthread.php?t=160362

And:

Shoot, I can't find it right now... There is a sensor on the plenum which is positioned differently... I'll have to take a look next week.

-Bob

I will be using the push style setup, see my 'how-to' write-up on the whole tranny conversion I just completed. Its in this forum and should be a few threads away from this one, Its pretty neat!

OK, What are the numbers to this weeks Mega Lotto??!!!

Nice Score!!!!

Haha, thanks, Im thinking its more of a 'patience' pays type thing. I was in a huge hurry to get this motor so I could get the project started and I was bugging jdm-online about their rb26 motors for 2 weeks solid, day after day they kept giving me excuses as to why they couldnt cough up good pictures and compression numbers. I finally said screw it and started looking elsewhere. I got in contact with the royal japanese guys and they picked up the phone every time an answered all my questions and sent pictures (even though they were wrong!!!) when they said they would. They quoted me 3700 shipped and I bargained them down to 3500 :mrgreen:

I had the tracking number the day I paid for the motor and it was delivered within 5 days (including the weekend) of when I ordered.

I would definately recommend them. Talk to Amir and tell him Andy that bought the rb26 sent ya!

I think the motor you received looks to be in much better cond. than the "blue" motor....

You did very good as far as I can tell. :2thumbs:

I agree, this motor looked aweosme when I got it, and it also goes to show you something that whoever owned this car before the motor came out, obviously spent the $$ taking care of it, otherwise there wouldnt be a $2000+ Clutch setup on it. On top of that the belts all looked brand new and the oil even smelled semi-fresh (at least there was no burned smell) Seems to me like whoever had it did a good job maintaining it.