HybridZ

zx "pillar?" cover

V8_DatZun

Well... I did some flared rear fenders... but... umm... must have had my mind on the GTO type, heh, heh... ;)

EDIT: I'll try again later when I'm not so wacko from lack of sleep.

davidk-blu-flares.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean something like this ? I'm in the process of getting the work done now. Check the site in the signature for what it all looks like without the trim or windows

sidevents.jpg

[i really like the smaller window, where would a person find such a window? Would it be hard to do? I imagine it would be harder to finish the inside and make it look right.]Any thoughts ? tia bob

Well... I did some flared rear fenders... but... umm... must have had my mind on the GTO type, heh, heh... ;)

EDIT: I'll try again later when I'm not so wacko from lack of sleep.

davidk-blu-flares.jpg

I like the small window but I also like the curved fender as well, oh well whats is a z-der to do.lol

The rear window isn't done yet, it'll be one of the last things that gets done, they need the window holes while they work on the pantera hatch. The metal guy and I have a few ideas. The first is to start with a plate cut to shape, and then weld rods onto the plate, spaced the same as on the hood vents and the cowl. The other option is to cover it all with a metal mesh, like grill mesh, this would work with the aftermarket msa hood vents. Luckily you can fit whatever you come up with into the recess created for the window. For glass, you could probably go to any good automotive glass shop and they can cut some tinted tempered glass to shape for you.

The interior ? LOL. The inside is all going to be custom anyway, with the pantera hatch and the window mechanism out of a Del Sol, it's going to be very non-stock.

From the Nissan book on designing the 280ZX, the distinctive rear quarter windows were a late addition to several other styles considered at the time. Think they look great, so much better than the +2 style windows, sorry +2'ers. Its all personal preference of course but as the photochops here show, the basic body shape is not bad for an end of the 70's design, even if some of the detail is questionable.

From the Nissan book on designing the 280ZX,...

What book is this ?

I always thought that the zx was designed by two different crew's:

Team one put in the sweeping Z lines, every thing smooth, but not rounded.

Then team two came along:

- Ok lets put in a triangular window to fill that space, oh, and bolt it in so it cant move, while your at it, make sure the bolts are exposed.

- Next, lets cut out the wheel area, I want nice sharp corners.

- Mirrors ? oh I want something big and blocky, and if possible really make them stand off the car.

- Marker lights ? Make them rectangular, and stick them right on the body, not in the bumpers where we have room, and while your at it put spacers under them so they really stick out.

- Gas cap, .... Muahahah :evil:

I'm doing what I can to fix these on mine. When I'm done, I'd love to drive the Nissan dealers and ask "Now would that have been so #%@ difficult"

We need PICS!! :mrgreen:

The rear window isn't done yet, it'll be one of the last things that gets done, they need the window holes while they work on the pantera hatch. The metal guy and I have a few ideas. The first is to start with a plate cut to shape, and then weld rods onto the plate, spaced the same as on the hood vents and the cowl. The other option is to cover it all with a metal mesh, like grill mesh, this would work with the aftermarket msa hood vents. Luckily you can fit whatever you come up with into the recess created for the window. For glass, you could probably go to any good automotive glass shop and they can cut some tinted tempered glass to shape for you.

The interior ? LOL. The inside is all going to be custom anyway, with the pantera hatch and the window mechanism out of a Del Sol, it's going to be very non-stock.

love the gto look mike! and yes that scoop is right on the look! only mine will be a tad taller just mainly for the dragster look. and if you look on www.zfiberglass.com at the SQUARE imsa type flares.. thats kinda what i want on mine only cuz the ZX is already square lol. but i DO like the GTO look... rounds the car more and doesnt give it the choppy look

P.S. im glad to see a thread like this on a ZX this shows that possibly one could make a ZX as rounded and sporty looking as a Z. The ZX is sporty looking also... only its 80's looking sporty 80's were rough on some cars... lol take the nova for example *GAG*

**ALSO** 260DET in that pic of miss canada... she has a camel toe... a BIG one.. lol

What book is this ?

I always thought that the zx was designed by two different crew's:

Team one put in the sweeping Z lines, every thing smooth, but not rounded.

Then team two came along:

- Ok lets put in a triangular window to fill that space, oh, and bolt it in so it cant move, while your at it, make sure the bolts are exposed.

- Next, lets cut out the wheel area, I want nice sharp corners.

- Mirrors ? oh I want something big and blocky, and if possible really make them stand off the car.

- Marker lights ? Make them rectangular, and stick them right on the body, not in the bumpers where we have room, and while your at it put spacers under them so they really stick out.

- Gas cap, .... Muahahah :evil:

I'm doing what I can to fix these on mine. When I'm done, I'd love to drive the Nissan dealers and ask "Now would that have been so #%@ difficult"

Its an official Nissan publication on the design and development of the 280ZX, I don't have a copy but have read it, very interesting, used copies come up for sale occasionally. Remember when the car was designed, styles and tastes change, plus there is individual taste. Personally I don't mind visible door handles and fuel caps, for example.

thats it man... that is IT... that is what i was thinking of.. stock look just wider.. the stock look is square and boxy thats what i wanted to keep... there she is guys... my future dream z... mike you nailed it man.. now is that a sexy ZX or what?? lol im probably going to widen the front a little also just to make it blend in the middle better but man... its amazing what a PC can do.. i knew what i wanted just couldnt EXACTLY picture it... but that is IT! what my z will look like in like... 10 years LoL nah.. maybe 1-2

That is pretty shweeet, I'd prefer it without the raised hood, and with a little flare on the front wheels along the lines of a corvette stingray. But you'd have a hard time dragging me away from it just the way it looks. Extending the rear flares to the door makes all the difference in the world.

You guys are way too kind. Thanks for the kudos though. Okay... Early 60's Vette Stingray-ish front fenders...

With Cowel Hood...

davidk-colors53.jpg

Without Cowel Hood...

davidk-colors62.jpg

Animated...

Z-morph_10.gif