HybridZ

New garage for my toys

Clifton

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks great!, keep us advised as it gets completed!

at least in my opinion,concrete block is so much nicer compared to wood /steel.

BTW its going to be a huge help to your hobbys results

(having a decent place to work)

and no matter how big it is its just a touch smaller than IDEAL, trust me!

Very nice. Looks like you're taking up a good chunk of your backyard with that beast. How did you convince your significant other to let you do that?

Hopefully the giant spider won't try to make it his home.

:eek:

Didn't take up too much, just the side yard, it's a fairly big lot (for this area). We bought the house with the intentions of me putting a garage there, plus she gets to have a clean front garage and my parts cars moved out of the other side when this is done.

I'll post updates as I get more done. I think it's going to go a bit slower now that I'm about to the scaffolding stage.

BTW its going to be a huge help to your hobbys results

(having a decent place to work)

and no matter how big it is its just a touch smaller than IDEAL' date=' trust me![/quote']

Ya, I wanted it wider (40') but didn't want to get too close to the pool and I had to say 10' from the side wall. Didn't want to go deeper either or I couldn't get a trailer in front and close the gate. I know it will fill up fast but the 73' will stay in the other garage so that should help.

I worked on grouting the verts and bond beam yesterday, picked up some scaffolding too. I'll probably finish grouting today. Ya, I'll let you know when I get there.

The spider is just rebar with a big rock for the body and little one for the head. I'll get a better pic, it was real easy to make.

a reasonably well built concrete block garage normally falls in the $35-$60 a square foot range, depending on factors like the extent of the electric and plumbing work,& building codes ,material costs,labor,and area of the country, mine cost close to $55 a sq complete but then I did everything top notch and above code, but keep in mind theres some minimal set costs and its usually cheaper PER SQ FOOT to build a bigger garage up to about the 36 foot width where the truss costs and roof costs start to skyrocket, EXAMPLE lets say you wanted a 36f x 60f garage(2160 sq feet), vs a 46f x 46f (2116 sq ft) I can garantee a 46f x 46F without center support collums would cost significantly more

i drew up the plans for clifton to go to the city with. he asked at one point if he had to have elect in there. i think all of us building a shop would need elect. i also think clifton has a problem with athourity.

Clifton - "can i call it a storage shed?"

Me - " uh, that is a pretty big storage shed with a garage door. i think they will see that."

C - "can i say i am amish?"

M - "uh, you live in ther wrong part of the country. just put it in already and be done with it."

he was getting bids that were pretty high for the masonry, the building cost out here is stupid.

the shop is a duplicate of what dave at azcar has in his back yard. big enough to have a large mess in.

cant wait to see it there clifton.

jimbo

When I put in my block rear fence I asked how high can it be, after they told me six feet from the ground I simply raised the ground. :)

you are not the only one. the typical block fence that you see around houses technicaly do not meet code. they just look the other way. walls under 6' do not need to be engineered, but go 6" over and the footing gets to be stupid and the rebar in the wall is not nice either. if i remember right, a small 2' retaining wall and a 6' site fence needed almost a 3' wide footing.:icon56: have to design it to hold back air not dirt. this is on a wall that is constructed of 8x8x16 cmu. not the crap fence block and pilaters every 10'.

scottsdale, az now wants me to engineer 1' retainig walls. i have done rounds with the plan reviewers because you can by the anchor wall blocks at the HD and stack those up but not a block wall.:evil: WTF. i know i will blow a cork when i start to build my house.

jimbo

JIM... You know better than ANYONE that these permits and engineering requirements have nothing to do with safety or logic. It's all about raising money for the city, hah!!