HybridZ

Possible steering rack u-joint source -Woodward

FWIW,

When I went through this exercise I discovered that the bearings in these U-joints are a proprietary bearing, exclusive to Nissan only.....meaning only Nissan is allowed to purchase them. I checked the numbers on the bearings and found them listed in a common bearing cataloge with a foot note "PROPRIETARY". Maybe a letter to the right person at Nissan could allow us to purchase these bearings since its been quite some time since these car were sold. Just a thought to ponder.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good news guys. I just heard back from Tony at Woodward, he said these WILL be produced, and should be ready in about 3-4 weeks. He also said the first one was mine :) He's currently waiting for the broach to be returned from hardening.

EDIT: I also forgot to add, I'm fairly sure they will be available in both a weldable 9/16 dia, and splined for use with their stock car style racks.

• 2 months later...

Bump this sucker up.

I have aquired 4 racks from 1972 and 1973 240Zs. I also have 3 steering columns. I have even more intermediate shafts. They all show some signs of wear. 2 complete steering systems are functional and usable. 2 of them are trashed and unusable. I have pretty much decided that I will need to replace the entire steering system with aftermarket parts when I decide to do this right.

• 3 weeks later...

An update for everyone and sorry for letting this fall by the wayside. I exchanged some emails with Tony at the end of May and he told me some horror stories about workers getting injured (outside of work) etc, said the broach blanks were semi finished, and had to go to heat treating after that but did not give any ETA. I emailed him again late last week and have not heard back, which is unusual. I'll keep bugging him for an update. Unless there was a very large setback, I would expect them to be ready very soon.

You might contact the guys at MSA about buying a few dozen of these. I would think they could more than recoup there investment, and the added quantity count might kindle a little more interest from the guy making them.

Black Dragon auto would be another source of component count.

You might contact the guys at MSA about buying a few dozen of these. I would think they could more than recoup there investment, and the added quantity count might kindle a little more interest from the guy making them.

Black Dragon auto would be another source of component count.

Actually Tony at Woodward has not expressed any concern with recouping the cost. I've told him there aren't any other producers and a strong followng with the cars, which was probably enough for him. I contact MSA when initially trying to get these produced and did not receive any response them, but as a thank you to Tony I will inform them of this.

Also, I just spoke with him on the phone, he reassured me they WILL be produced, but again has suffered some delays, he estimated another 2 weeks at a minimum. Apparently the foundry which they've dealt with for the past 30 years has burned down and all of the tooling vaporized as a result. They're slowly digging their way back out....

We spoke a bit about welding them. He recomended MIG over TIG because of the lower temps and also recomended using a ER80SD-2 wire, which has the most desirable properties.

Be careful with this fella. There is going to be some developement work to get them right. If he makes servicable parts then he will be able to sell them.

I was forced to put some effort into finding 2 good steering systems. I am building a track car with wide tires. I needed at least ONE set of spares to justify using the stock parts.

I have had no luck with JY steering parts. Most of the S-30 cars in the yards are relatively new arrivals and they are almost always worn out with a quater-million miles on them.

The good finds are at swap meets and some of the E-Bay sellers who pick over swap meets. I managed to find a brand new OEM rack with the matching brand new jointed shaft. Ten years ago I found a nearly new column that had been shelved 30 years ago from a rear ended 240Z. The rest of the servicable stuff consists of really nice low miles parts from peoples aborted projects. I spent 2 years hunting this stuff down.

The servicable factory parts are becomming harder and harder to find. This fella shouldn't worry about selling parts. People will demand them one way or another. He should be more worried about another manufacturer making a large lot of them and swamping the market.

• 3 months later...

Good news, the steering joints are now available, this is no joke! Again, a big thanks lbhsbZ, he was the sole Hybrid member to step up and send me an additional rack gear example.

I was told fitment was good on the two samples I sent and the same holds true for the current rack on my car. Tony has sent me two versions of joints with bores opposite the rack side, one smooth bore .56†weld-able, the other .750-20 splined for use with the entire line of Woodward Steering products. The overall quality is very good. I would like to start a group buy, please see that section.

100_0066.jpg

100_0065.jpg

I’ve thought of a few solutions for the joint on the steering column side. The first would be cutting off the splines on the other end of the steering shaft, drilling and welding to the steering column. Or, Woodward also sells a .750-20 male spline weld in stub, part # ST201A, for 3/4 OD x .120 wall tubing. The column OD is about 3/4" as well: it would be drilled to 9/16†ID and the stub welded; the intermediate shaft to the rack would then be .120 wall tubing of course.

Again, if welding directly on the joint, Tony actually recommends MIG over TIG because of the lower temps and also recommends using a ER80SD-2 wire, which has the most desirable properties.

Also, somebody PLEASE tell me if the S130 cars and any other Nissan models share the same spline/diameter, I’m assuming this is the case.

OK... I see the part number referenced. Part number ST201A to fit 0.120 wall 3/4" OD tubing. The column shaft end would need to be drilled with a 33/64 or 0.51562 in order to get a good fit.

The actual dia of the stub adaptor would be nice to know. But I figure it to be .51" or slightly less. If you use a 9/16 drill you will have a considerably loose fit between the stub and the shaft. A 0.5" drill would be too tight.

• 6 months later...

I thought I would bring this up again since I am in the final stages of my project car.

I have completed the front suspension parts and installed them all. I figured I would post a pic of the final product.

steeringintermediateshaft.jpg

I thought I would bring this up again since I am in the final stages of my project car.

I have completed the front suspension parts and installed them all. I figured I would post a pic of the final product.

steeringintermediateshaft.jpg

Exelent! Nice Work!