HybridZ

LS1 swap update

I agree with Jbk240. I never like the designs of the JCI parts. The instruction is lousy. No customer service at all. The guy sounds like he doesn't need your business. Have you seen the nut serts that came with the CM? Those nut serts are a joke IMO.

I am just glad I had no problem because my car was a 280Z. I feel the pain for you guys. So in the future if anyone has a 240Z I suggest you get just the engine mount from JCI and get the trans CM from JTR. You can get the headers from JTR at the same time too.

Vinh

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That guy at JCI has had a reputation for being a prick for along time. But I don't know about the overpriced part. There is something huge to be said for getting the job done and not having to re-engineer engine location when doing your swap. You are not paying for the stuff by the pound. You are paying for all the time it will save you in getting the job done right the first time.

There are some excellent pics in this thread.

That guy at JCI has had a reputation for being a prick for along time. But I don't know about the overpriced part. There is something huge to be said for getting the job done and not having to re-engineer engine location when doing your swap. You are not paying for the stuff by the pound. You are paying for all the time it will save you in getting the job done right the first time.

There are some excellent pics in this thread.

I agree with you. I have no way of making these parts myself and I do see where it saves a ton of time but like you said him being a prick makes me wish someone else sold the parts. Another member here on HZ is going to trade CM with me because he had for a 240 and needs a 280. This will save me 3 weeks! So in the end, the ball will still keep on rollin.

Clive when you run your fuel lines please post pics and your thoughts.I have read the posts about braided lines and smelling gas-and this is one area I have not decided on.

Precisely why I'm going with 3/8" brake line for my fuel. Bit of a PITA to bend and adapt to the fuel rail but pretty cheap to buy and in the long run safer than braided hose or as my old setup had, just rubber.

Holy S$%T Clive!

I think you ought to change your Major at Howard! You definately have a knack for finding and creating great deals! You have to be one of the most motivated, talented, knowledgeable, hard working young person I have had the priveledge of meeting in a long time, It is young men like you that have renewed my trust in the younger generation of today to carry our country into the future. You remind me of myself when I was your age!

Greg

all, we're not marketing or manufacturing the lines [brake, clutch, fuel] just helping the business by providing them oem lines to serve as the 'masters' to create what you see in the pic [box] clive posted. classictube.com

what clive and i will then do is have them make custom fuel lines from the master [pardon my lack of engineering/pc/speak/terms] cad/cam??. anyway, we can say we want x" diameter line with x fitting at the end. additionally, we'll mount [temp] the new stock fuel line then run them back to them and say-end it here, here and here. i think we'll wind up using a 3/8" line with an fittings at the ends-for both feed & return. this will eliminate the braided line deal i ran.

when i first went to classic tube i got a tour of the mfg facility-pretty impressive and a huge inventory-lots-o-muscle car lines. the take the stock line, use this funky scanner thingy to plot x, y and z axis' then send the info to the computer that tells the bender what to do then viola', it bends. they then take the newly minted line and scan it-the scan is then compared to the master scan. any adjustments are then made and the new master is born.

Holy S$%T Clive!

I think you ought to change your Major at Howard! You definately have a knack for finding and creating great deals! You have to be one of the most motivated, talented, knowledgeable, hard working young person I have had the priveledge of meeting in a long time, It is young men like you that have renewed my trust in the younger generation of today to carry our country into the future. You remind me of myself when I was your age!

Greg

He's a swindler. Don't be fooled! :wink: J/K

Yes, he is very bright and motivated for a guy of his generation. There is hope!

I met Clive here at HybridZ and then in person in CT with his Uncle, we were looking at a totaled 98 LS1 Camaro that he was kind enough to offer to me first. We spent most of the day there getting it started and putting it onto a U-haul trailer. I admired his drive and determination and was impressed with his ability to handle the many things going on in his life at the time.

I wished he lived nearby and could spend some time hanging out with my son, maybe a little inspiration would rub off on him (:wink:)

Yes he is definately a wheeler and dealer but an honest one.

Greg

OK enough kissass9nh.gif before his head blows up!

^^ LOL^^

Greg thanks for the kind words and it means a lot to me. O yeah I go to Alfred University not Howard lol. I try to be as honest as possible when it comes to dealing with others and HZ has been great to me. I met David Palermo aka 1tuffz, who he and his family has treated me like a son. Can't forget Dave aka cygnusx1 who basically got me an internship and has become another "older" friend of mine. And the countless people here on the site I bothered when I was a newbie (which I still am) with questions on top of questions.

Ok back to the SS lines. 1tuffz was in contact with ClassicTube and worked out the deal for FREE SS lines in exchange of masters from a car. I found a running Z that was local to me, stripped it of all the lines to donate. Few other parts were pulled and therefor I sold the car last week on Ebay as a parts car.

Therefor I am not selling SS lines but maybe if this is something quite a few people would like maybe David and myself can setup a group buy.

I will snap pics of Davids braided lines he ran and the temp mount of my oem lines. So basically custom lines will be made using the oem lines as a guide. As for the mgt process at classictube, they use a 3-d axis machine that can trace the oem lines without ever touching it map out exact bends on the line. So an example is...say you have one tube but it has a 45 degree bend in it, they scan right at the tip of the tube where it starts....then scan right before the bend....then scan another point right after the bend and then again at the end of the tube. The computer will calculate that there has to be a bend of 45 degrees between the two places scanned. This was done for my lines and it was pretty cool to see as a demo when I was there.

Update, I know have a 240 CM coming in the mail thanks to another member here! I might even skip Spring Break this year so I can work on the Z in an unheated garage!!!!!!!! Get it done.

Hi Clive,

Yeah everybody on this site has been great, I am a "newbie" to the Hybrid part of Z but have owned a Z car since 1982. As you know I too am about to actually start "wrenching" my HybridZ project car and have and will post a lot more questions than answers.

Sorry for posting un-related to this thread.

Anyway the "Howard" VS the "Alfred" thing is something that happens a little to often when your 54 years old :redface:

Greg

Few days away and I get to work on the Z.....what do I plan on getting done:

1. Install motor mounts and correct tranny CM

2. Trim tranny ears off to make room for the T56

3. Run new SS brake lines

4. Install Motor/Tranny for 1st test fit!!!!!

5. Take lots of pics.