HybridZ

Quick question about buying a house...

80LS1T

Did you pay asking price for your new or used house?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Did you pay asking price for your new or used house?

• Yes, I payed every penny that the seller wanted
    • No way, I widdled the seller down and got a great deal!
    • Yeah I paid asking price plus some more!

I personally paid the list price, closing and any upgrades such as the third space in my garage. Having said all that the house apraised for 5 g's more than the selling price by the time I closed. The same house now 6 months later is 10 g's more than what I paid. Plus there are no more of the larger lots left so you can't even get one with the big garage any more. We all know the garage is the only room in the house that really maters.

If you buy an inexpenive house, get a new one with a great warranty... then sell it before the warranty expires.

If you buy a used house, never skimp... get one made by a better builder with an excellent reputation for longevity/durability.

I bought a new house that the deal with the original owner fell through on so the builder was looking to move it. I had the option of paying $8k under list, or paying list and having them kick in $8k toward closing. When I went to settle somehow $3k of that $8k got eaten up by various builder fees and of course the good faith estimate of closing cost was in the builder's faith and not mine, so ended up with a mortgage a few grand more than list.

But whether you pay more or less than the asking price is highly dependent upon the current housing market. Really you can't compare a deal 15 years ago with one today. It also is highly dependent upon what area of the country you are in.

having a house value at more than what you paid for it is only good if you are selling it. haveing it appraise fro more also means higher property taxes. that being said, equity is something you can borrow on in case of an emergency, but i see lots of equity being floated at the local lakes. we bought a house for 130k, two years later it is 250k. we scavenged the equity out of it and invested the money. yes it is a higher morgage payment, but the interst is more than than the extra payment amount, so i am making money on the house. check with your local broker for more info.

jimbo

Just don't buy it together! Get it in your name and yours only. If you get married change it to both names later. I've seen many burned.

I got married in 2000. I had purchased my home in 1997 and continued to make the payments in my name from MY SEPERATE ACCOUNT. When my ex and I started having issuses she said my not trusting her was one of the problems and I should refinance in both our names. Luckily I didnt and in late 2002 when we divorced she tried everything in the book to use HER 3 kids and her job cut backs to try to take my house. My lawyer said my keeping it seperate was the key to my keeping it. So even in a Married situation I managed to save my house...

BTW: I actually spent alot of time and patience to find my house. I watched obituaries in my town and looked up addresses on Google hoping to find a property being sold by family of the deceased. Often you can get a good deal when siblings are fighting for cash!!! I even got the 84 El Camino, most furnishings, dishes etc and all appliances in the deal. I bought in 1997 and sold in 2004 for 39k over purchase price. I sold the El Camino for $3500 in 2001 after painting it myself.

This isn't to put a damper on your situation but...

When I married I handed $10K cash over to my father-in-law and told him, "I'm buying the equity in this house." I didn't want to be indebted to him. The house was in my fiance's name. I never had the names changed [stoopid me] because I trusted her. I put tens of thousands of dollars into updates repairs, etc. I had the mortgage paid of by a age 31, which happened to be just about the time the trouble started, hmm... We divorced a few years later and I lost everything. Remember folks... I didn't change the mortgage papers. Lesson learned... the hard way.