HybridZ

FJ20 motor source

jl87ma

I guess I might be the best one to answer this. I sourced three brand NEW FJ20 engines from Chowini Motorsports along with over $10K in go fast FJ goodies. All bought through Nissan in Japan this was back in the '80s when FJ stuff was available. I knew the owner of Chowini which was how I got these FJs in the first place.

I sold one of these complete engines brand new with sidedrafts Mikunis and some trick Toda pieces on it to none other than Adam Corolla - host of the "Man Show". The other went to a very wealthy business man in New Jersey (last year) and the last went into my Datsun 720 pick-up, which had some very hot Nismo, HKS and Toda parts and it belted out around 225hp (conservative). My Datsun truck took 6years to build (!) but made three magazine features and is now owned by a Datsun Collector in So-Cal.

Dave at Arizona Z-Car had one complete engine for sale (a used motor) but that found a new home and Nissan Motorsports had a whole bunch of FJ stuff around for sale in 1996/97 (I spoke with Chuck at Nismo many times about this stuff) when they raced the FJ in the stadium trucks and all those parts were scooped up really quickly by enthusiasts who were wise and knew that parts would be getting rare, they were pretty cheap too from Nismo!

You can no longer get these engines from Nissan in Japan (that I know of anyway) and FJ stuff and interest in drying up really, the SR and the VEVK 4 cylinders are the new hot tickets on the street and track.

If you currently look at Yahoo Japan Actions there is only a few auctions for FJ stuff and the odd high mileage beater engine, 5 years ago there was litterally pages and pages of FJ stuff on there, showing that interest has fallen dramatically.

Australia is a great source for FJ stuff as it is a highly coveted engine there.

BTW, give me and FJ over a SR anyday!

Yasin

J Hot imports in Atlanta have them from time to time. I know a turbo motor, transmissionand wiring harness with computer was bought from them by one of my closest friends for under 1K. True they are out in Georgia but you cannot always have it all in Ca. The above mentioned motor will be set in his car this summer. Brand new FJ stuff is still available from Nissan Japan. I bought the rebuild kit for the above motor while I was on vacation for under $300.

I sold one of these complete engines brand new with sidedrafts Mikunis and some trick Toda pieces on it to none other than Adam Corolla - host of the "Man Show". The other went to a very wealthy business man in New Jersey (last year) and the last went into my Datsun 720 pick-up, which had some very hot Nismo, HKS and Toda parts and it belted out around 225hp (conservative). My Datsun truck took 6years to build (!) but made three magazine features and is now owned by a Datsun Collector in So-Cal.

Dave at Arizona Z-Car had one complete engine for sale (a used somewhat high mileage motor) but that found a new home and Nissan Motorsports had a whole bunch of FJ stuff around for sale in 1996/97 (I spoke with Chuck at Nismo many times about this stuff) when they raced the FJ in the stadium trucks and all those parts were scooped up really quickly by enthusiasts who were wise and knew that parts would be getting rare, they were pretty cheap too from Nismo!

BTW, give me and FJ over a SR anyday!

Yasin

I've seriously heard him tell that story many times on different forums(nissan minis, hybridz) and on ebay as well. never get tired of hearing it. by the way, i was the one that bought the FJ20 motor from dave of arizona z car, he told me it wasn't a high milage engine though, 60k Kilometers, but yeah, i guess not as LOW MILEAGE as yasins ZERO MILEAGE engines, i seen some pics of the engines he had, still had the cross hatchings in them when he took it apart to verify it,

anyways, there is a seller on ebay called j-hot, based out of georgia, don't know much about them, bought a crossmember for a FJ20 from them, turned out not to be the correct crossmember, it was for an FJ20, just not a N/A one, heres a link to some FJ20 stuff thier selling but every once and a while, they sell FJ20 motors complete with wiriing, ecu, trans, etc for about 1,200 bucks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Nissan-Skyline-DR30-R30-1983-FJ20-OEM-Radiator_W0QQitemZ110090539070QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33602QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

just a few months ago they had a TUNED fj20 motor, one built by a tuning shop in japan with valvetrain parts, turbo parts, and a mines ECU, anyways, email them and see if you can get an FJ20 from them, just do me one favor, DON'T GET IT RUNNING BEFORE I GET MINE RUNNING!!!

• Like 1

Wow Thans For The Replies Guys I Appreciate It. Sorry I Have Not Responded. Well After Searching I Have Located An Fj20 Motor I Will Not Be Going Turbo As Turbo Is Not My Style.

This Car Will Be Swapped Into A Datsun 1200, Similar In Size To A Mazda Rx-3 And Te37 Toyota. Anyways, I Wanted To Know What Tranny You Guys Would Recommend. Something Strong And Reliable. The Motor Does Not Come With The Tranny So A Tranny Other Than The Fj20 One.

I Know You Guys Will Tell Me Just Go Sr20 Cause Its Lighter And More Readily Available But The Sr20 Has Been Done So Much I Just Dont Wanna Do That.

The Car Will Be Used For Daily Driving As I Want To Enjoy The Car When It Is Completed. I Have The Japanese Flares That Are The Same As The Yellow Tomei Sunny So I Will Be Running Some Pretty Wide Tired Like 9's Or 10's.

I Want To Produce About 220 Ponies Nothing Wild As I Will Build The Suspension And Choose The Right Gearing So This Car Will Be A Rocket. Apat From Being A Daily Driver I Also Want To Be Able To Take It To Road Coarse Races, Open Track Runs Basically.

So Yeah Thats What Im Thinking As Of Now. I Know The Swap Will Be Intensive So I Have Talked To John C Himself And He Has Quoted Me On The Job. This Car Will Be Done Right The Firts Time No Shortcuts.

So Again What Tranny Would U Guys Recommend. I Also Need A Manifold For The Fj As I Will Be Running Mikunis For Now And Then Switching To Itb's. If Anyone Knows Where I Can Get One Please Let Me Know.

Thanks Once Again

you capitalized every single word in your post.

:shock:

Wow Thans For The Replies Guys I Appreciate It. Sorry I Have Not Responded. Well After Searching I Have Located An Fj20 Motor I Will Not Be Going Turbo As Turbo Is Not My Style.

This Car Will Be Swapped Into A Datsun 1200, Similar In Size To A Mazda Rx-3 And Te37 Toyota. Anyways, I Wanted To Know What Tranny You Guys Would Recommend. Something Strong And Reliable. The Motor Does Not Come With The Tranny So A Tranny Other Than The Fj20 One.

I Know You Guys Will Tell Me Just Go Sr20 Cause Its Lighter And More Readily Available But The Sr20 Has Been Done So Much I Just Dont Wanna Do That.

The Car Will Be Used For Daily Driving As I Want To Enjoy The Car When It Is Completed. I Have The Japanese Flares That Are The Same As The Yellow Tomei Sunny So I Will Be Running Some Pretty Wide Tired Like 9's Or 10's.

I Want To Produce About 220 Ponies Nothing Wild As I Will Build The Suspension And Choose The Right Gearing So This Car Will Be A Rocket. Apat From Being A Daily Driver I Also Want To Be Able To Take It To Road Coarse Races, Open Track Runs Basically.

So Yeah Thats What Im Thinking As Of Now. I Know The Swap Will Be Intensive So I Have Talked To John C Himself And He Has Quoted Me On The Job. This Car Will Be Done Right The Firts Time No Shortcuts.

So Again What Tranny Would U Guys Recommend. I Also Need A Manifold For The Fj As I Will Be Running Mikunis For Now And Then Switching To Itb's. If Anyone Knows Where I Can Get One Please Let Me Know.

Thanks Once Again

Funny how you are asking about transmissions. I had been researching transmission combinations all day for another persons car. (The project I will be helping with this summer mentioned above). From what I gather. This is what I know. I do not have the transmissions in front of me but I can verify everything this April when I am in Florida working the swap. The FJ20 transmission is identical to the turbo 280zx T5. The Fj and L6 share the same bellhousings as well. Now we all know that the KA tranmsission can be swapped over to work with the l6 as long as you use the L6 bellhousing and counter shaft bearing. This may be an easy fix for you as the 240sx is in every junkyard around. However the gear ratio's in it are better suited for turbo applications. That being said look for a 4 or 5 speed z car transmission. I am unsure what driveshaft mods will be needed. (longer or shorter). Hopefully between the different seies 1 , regular 240 and 280zx driveshaft something bolts in. If not then an aftermarket driveshaft is not that expensive, relatively speaking. ----After thought----The Fj is a great torque producing motor and the turbo models are absolutely great. However I personally would not bother with the engine if it were not a turbo. Money could be spent else where and have a nice, reliable easy to source parts motor combo. However I do understand the I WANT TO BE DIFFERENT mindset. This is the disease that sent me spiraling out of control building my KAKIMOTO spec 3.1 motor. $10,000 later I am close to starting it for the first time. As soon as BRAAP sends me my cam...

the fj20 trans is actually closer to the L28 280z trans. pretty much all nissan trans of that era are pretty close. the only difference between the fj and the l28 trans is the bell housing is clocked just a little bit to the side, but you can do the bell housing swap and it would work fine. the length is the same, trans mounts are the same, when i put the fj20 into my 280z i aligned it using the trans, so same trans mount, same 280z driveshaft, it was actually quite easy.

what people in Australia and japan are doing is putting rb25 trans to the FJ cause it holds more HP. you just need to modify the bell housing but instead of swapping them over, you just cut the top dowel off and redrill it to the left a little bit. go to fj20.com and search for transmissions, its layed out pretty clear.

also, what you can do is find the kit that allows people to put a 300zxTT trans to the L28 ( like garrett's) and since the bolt pattern is the same, just follow the same procedures with the fj20 motor, the adapter plate, and the TT trans and it should work, HOWEVER, i do belive it would be cockked to the side a little bit, so maybe the people who make the adapter plate can redrill the holes on the adapter plate to the side a little bit. hope that helps....by the way, FJ's are KICK ARSE!

• 2 weeks later...