HybridZ

Ron Tyler diff mount rev A

Roostmonkey

Heres some pics of my version of Rons bracket.Thanks to Ron and Pete for documenting the design. I cut this on a CNC plasma machine and then ran the 2 pcs thru a timesaver. I used 7 ga cold rolled steel and tig welded the joints. If I decide to produce some of these, they'd be mig'd.Let me know what you think.

RonTylerBracket007.jpg

RonTylerBracket009.jpg

RonTylerBracket002.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamNissan

I think it looks really good roost, cant wait to see more.

I would run the side welds all the way to the corner though, for the extra inch of weld you will gain ALOT more strenth and stability.

Guest TeamNissan
Its welded on both sides but I agree for a couple more inches of weld it'll be a better part.

I dont mean its not going to hold or anything and I think you did a good job welding it. Just for the peace of mind is all lol.

Looks great! I dont mean to dog your effort here at all. In fact I much admire your hard work to our Z community.

My question is, how can you manufacture this part and expect it to fit every car?

I only say that when I did mine the angles and pieces per the print did vary quite enough that the vertical plates would have not purchased down against the tunnel properly on a 30+ year old car. That and different hybrid transmission locations to diff relationships can alter this part enough where room for final shim pinion adjustment might be out of tolernace in some cases.

There are too many variables here to nail this part to a print and say its golden.

The print to me is only a "reference" to his basic great design layout.

JustinOlson and olie05, You nailed it! "I'm interested in a weld it yourself kit."

I dont expect this to fit every car.And I have no intention of doing all the leg work to come up with one that does.I merely copied a proven design (by some) and , in my opinion made it a little cleaner. Ther are so many hybrid combinations between tranny's and diffs that a one size fits all pobably doesnt exist. As for a weld it yourself kit, the reason I made this was to get rid of all the welding involved on the original design.That one consisted of 6 parts, I dropped it to 2. If thats what your looking for, you should just stop by a local shop and have them shear up some blanks for you and weld up your own.If you feel that the originaly sized part will fit your car and your interested in what Ive done, let me know.Thanks for your inputs

Looks good.

If you guys read back through olds posts most guys say the part does fit exactly. Some guys have rolled these things out 10 at a time, and others built them from the blueprints without a single trial fit. They all fit so this should work fine. A weld up kit really makes no sense, because if a person can weld they can easily make there own from scratch.

The only caveat is this design won't fit on the early early Z's with the pushed forward diffs. Would be a simple matter of some grinding and redrilling the body bolt holes to make this one work.

How thick is that steel?

roostmonkey, let me see if i understand what this will fit. s30 z cars, q45 diff swap?! if so, sign me up-been waiting [patiently] for someone to fab a front mount for the q45 swap. in fact-put me down for 3 [me, evilz and flames]-all shipped to my address!

let me know...

Read the other " Ron Tyler mount " posts for info regarding fitment. This is Rons/ Petes design, I just copied it and cleaned it up a bit.Pop n wood said what I meant to say. If you can weld, you can fab.As for the Q45 mount, Id be happy to make some but I dont happen to have one kicking around to design from. If anyone has done this and is willing to share the dwgs, Email them and you can have the first one I make.

roostmonkey-i can't tell from your sig, where are you located? you seem [at this point] the most likely hybrid'r to mfgr the q45 front mount. perhaps someone has drawings for this mount-ron tyler style. i know there are a number of us [who, like myself, don't have the fab/weld skills or tools] waiting for someone to step in, make and sell the q45 front mounts.

1 tuff we met at your convention a couple of years ago. I'm from MA and I have the candy green 240 thay was belching 4' flames at the Glen. I would be glad to make the Q45 mount, I just dont have one and given all the other projects in the works already, I cant see my getting one anytime too soon.As we said, if theres someone with the dwg, I'll whip some up.

The Q45 mount is a completely different animal from the RT mount. The problem isn't going to be finding someone to build them. The problem is what design should be built.

A member named Qwick240Z had posted his Q45 front mount and offered to have several made up, but got totally flamed for his efforts. I don't think there is one definitive design for the Q45 mount. Seems like everyone has their own way of doing it.

I'm interested in a weld it yourself kit.

Justin

Hmm... maybe a JTR kit... or another vendor here??

EDIT: But maybe a reasonable fee should go to the original designer for use of the concept....