HybridZ

Pontiac GTO LS2 - what needs changing please ?

Hi Guys,

I have just bought a 2,700 mile LS2 / T56 drivetrain from SchramAuto - it came from a 2006 Pontiac GTO to fit into a 1971 240Z.

Having searched the existing threads I have picked up that I need to change the oil pan for a camaro one but cannot get a picture of EVERYTHING I need to change to make the implementation smooth.

I intend to use the JCI kit but have picked up from searching that one mount is missing ????

Can anyone give me a definitive list please of what I need to do to this drivetrain to make it fit ? That way I can get all of the parts, do all of the mods BEFORE I try to test fit it :-)

Many Thanks

Andy F

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andy,

Sorry I can't be of help (I'm fabbing my own mounts and such), but I wanted to congratulate you on your purchase. I recently bought an '06 GTO LS2/T56 pull out from Schram too and they were a pleasure to deal with.

One thing you will also need to consider (if you haven't already) is the electronic throttle pedal. Minor issue, but something to think about.

Thanks John,

They seem to be great guys, I have spoken to three of them so far.

The fly by wire will probably go... everyone is advising me to put a straightforward cable type throttle on instead.

I know I need the Camaro type oil pan but I do not know if that means changing other things... I have read in threads I have searched about oil pick up pipes etc. These engines are like Elvis here in the UK, we all know about them but very few have ever actually seen them so I have no expertise to call on.

What would be immensely helpful is if someone could give me a simple "do this" list.... ie change the sump (oil pan), swap X for Y, etc etc.

The chassis has been done, strengthened and caged, the suspension has been specced up, brakes sorted, radiator, interior sorted .... not all bought yet but decided upon and worked out. The last piece is sorting the engine fitment.

I too bought my engine from Schram,They are a nice company to deal with.I bought the first LS2 they sold so phone calls had to be made to get most of the parts needed to complete the swap.

We were also told to add a throttle cable intead of the drive by wire.At the end it turned out easier adding the d b w than adding a cable..

on the oil pan you need the camaro pan,pick up,tray and dip stick.

you also need a camaro motor mount if your using jci's kits,I cant recal wich one it is.

Cool, thanks Ulises,

To help out (in England we called the oil pan the sump for example), exactly what do you mean by "the tray" ?

I can research the threads I looked at before, one thread detailed which motor mount. Is it just a stock Camaro mount ? Can I simply order a new one from a dealer or does it need modification ?

Have you fitted fly by wire then ? To me it makes sense because the wiring is there, the map is already there etc etc but for some reason I have been advised over and over to ditch it.

How did you fit it ? Were there any problems or issues ?

I have just checked out some of your threads Ulises.... are you serious ???? a 10.8 with an LS2 ?? I hope so, I did not expect it to be that quick, I was hoping mid 11's

Many Thanks

Andy F

Well I did not do my conversion,Mike (MAS280) is the one.you might want to try and send him a pm.

The camaro mount is a stock one.

The drive by wire,you need the gas pedal and I belive there is only 4 wires going to the ecu.the tuner will take care of this.Talk to who ever is tuning your car and asked him wich is best for him d b w or cable,I'm sure he's going to say cable.Everyone told us to go with cable too....I sold my throttle body and had to buy again,I only lost about 25 dollars.

Go to my cardomain page and you will find pictures of the oil pan set up.I have lots of pictures on parts needed for the swap...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/438021/6

I have only added a small cam, futural f11.Im happy with the results,I won't take much to get her in the 10's...

My stock clutch is now bad,after like 6 1/4 miles passes and less than 4k miles on the swap.....So espect to change it soon after going to the track....

If you have not ordered jci's kit make sure you tell them to give you the correct transmission cross member,I have been reading of guys complaining on getting the one for the 280Z wich will not work on your 240Z.Jci is making buyers pay for the shipping and I know what shipping charges are out of the USA.

This thread has the GM part numbers for the F body sump and pick up stuff

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=118395&highlight=pan

This stuff is pretty hard to find in junk yards. Ebay, LS1TECH.com or GM direct are your best bets for sourcing the correct parts.

Boy, it would be nice if this thread could contain a complete list of to do items for the GTO swap. Even better if it contained definitive part numbers.

I'm going through the sames issue. GM Direct appears to be the way to go for non-USA builders. You can purchase new parts from them for less than some are paying on e-bay. The pick-up tube part number refered to is called a 'screen' at GM Direct - I know there would be a screen on the bottom of the tube but just make sure on that part. Otherwise all the items listed by Pop on the other thread are clear.

I am worried about all the ancillary bits for the engine (pollution gear, etc. necessary down here) so I'm hoping to get a wreck and transplant everything (see below).

One more thought. I'm really keen on an 'over the radiator' cold air intake arrangement and I'm considering setting the radiator back (75-100mm) and lower to facilitate the intake. I know some have tilted the radiator to do this but you might want to give some thought to the 'back & lower' idea. I think that properly executed it would look terrific. Oh, and pass on the problems you encountered so that I can avoid them! You owe it to me after we let you win the ODI series!

http://www.manheimfowles.com.au/find_buy/power_search/index.mpl?unit_key=34276_AU202049423-34276;detail_tab=vinfo;tab=transmission_name;fulltext=;stream=Salvage;vehicle_type_desc=4x4s;vehicle_type_desc=Cars;vehicle_type_desc=Trucks;vehicle_type_desc=Vans;make=Holden;displacement=5.7L;transmission_name=Manual;state_all=1;rm=view_detail

I can add a few things-

The oil pressure sender adapter from JCI will not work with some headers-will be fine if you use his. Mas280 and I moved them to the place where the original

GTO unit was, using adapters. You will need an aftermarket shifter such as the B&M unit as the stock GTO shifter will not fit. I really like the way the B&M shortens the shifts. The only place I could find a stock camaro motor mount was from GM. You need it for the left (driver in the US) side but they are both the same. As stated in previous posts, you need the Camaro oil pan, pickup tube (screen), and windage tray. Also a dip stick and dip stick tube. I also used the throttle by wire.. I think it was easier by far than a cable linkage would be, and it works great. An electronic speedo, or a CableX box for a stock Z speedo, will be needed to use the signal from the VSS on the T56. We all seem to be having tach issues. Ulises is using after market (auto meter) but is not working too well. I am trying to use the stock tach but it is back at JCI trying to get it to work at all. Make sure you get the clutch master cylinder from the GTO as well as the gas pedal assembly. And the wiring harness from all three plugs to the ECM. Two of them go to the engine and trans, the 3rd has all the wires that need to be spliced up to the Z. Also there is a plug near the MAF plug at the front of the engine that you will need to run ignition voltage to for power to the coil packs. I used a big ford 2-speed electric fan I got from JCI. Of course you will need a fuel pump and regulator. Ulises and especially MAS280 were a great help to me with my swap. PM any of us when you come up with questions. My swap took only about a month and a half with only a couple of hours here and there. I couldn't believe how easy is really was.

Mike

Absolutely fantastic guidance, thanks guys, I appreciate it.

When done I will compile a list of everything that was needed with part numbers and post a "how to transplant a GTO engine" thread.

A couple of points came up that I had not considered :

The Shifter : When you say it does not work what do you mean ? The box is the later model T56 with the plastic section below the gear stick. Are you saying it will not fit through the hole in the floor and I will need an adapter of somekind ?

The Clutch Master Cylinder : I will ensure I get it, thanks for the pointer, but I would have thought any decent new master cylinder would work ? Evidently I misjudged that one.

BOY FROM OZ : You owe it to me after we let you win the ODI series!.... more by luck than judgement I have to say :-)

The Shifter : When you say it does not work what do you mean ? The box is the later model T56 with the plastic section below the gear stick. Are you saying it will not fit through the hole in the floor and I will need an adapter of somekind ?

I went to m1noel's car domain site and saw this pic

2505791_25_full.jpg

I went to m1noel's car domain site and saw this pic QUOTE]

I see, thanks, will check out the site. It looks like the standard gear stick (ok, shifter :-)) sits too far forwards and the B+M shifter allows it to sit back by a couple of inches.

Sorry to be a pain but in the UK we have very few big American V8s - where can I get a B&M shifter ???? Is the B&M the one to have ?? Any better options ???

Many Thanks

Andy F

Googled B&M, got to their web site. Looks alot like a B&M 4503 shifter

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=3&subcat=15&pid=334

Summit carries them.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM%2D45043&N=700+400004+4294822078+115&autoview=sku

The internet rules.

Looks like you could fabricate your own shift lever

I love this place !!!! :-)

Thanks for your help, feel like a dipstick for not using google now

So far it seems that I need :

12551577 Camaro/Firebird dipstick tube

12551581 Camaro/firebird dipstick

12558762 Camaro/Firebird oil pan

12558253 Camaro/Firebird windage tray

12558251 Camaro/Firebird oil pump pickup

US Driver side Camaro engine mount

JCI installation kit specifying 240 for the gearbox mount

GTO Clutch Master Cylinder

electronic speedo

electronic tacho

B&M Ripper Shifter

Headers are a problem, I will have to have them custom made. The steering column goes right through the manifold (header) when installed into a RHD car.

The radiator is being made, custom aluminium as fitted to the east African Safari Zs but with in and outs to match the LS2.

Exhausts will again need to be custom mandrel bent. Anything I should know about or be wary of ???? There are plenty of companies here that can do top quality exhaust fabrication.

Fuel tank ........ I am planning an aluminium cell behind the seats going side to side but staying fairly low.... any issues with putting twin pumps in to feed the engine ? I heard fuel tank issues mentioned but no explanation of what to look out for.

Have custom F1 type companion flanges and soon to have F1 type CV driveshafts. Planning to use Modern Motorsports 5 stud billet rear hubs with uprated 280 stub shafts and 5 stud zero offset front billet hubs. Any views or experiences please ?

Brakes will be wilwood, direct bolt on replacements.

Suspension is being done for me by Ohlins - remote reservoir multi valved adjustable.

ZHeadV8 - don't forget that the Pontiac GTO and Vauxall is a Monaro that were built in Oz and there are plenty of after-market suppliers down here (short shifters, etc), though probably not financially viable for US owners with their own large market.

I am also proposing to use a fuel cell but I will be fitting the sender unit from the donor car. Check to see if there are any wrecked Vauxalls in the UK.

Following the demise of the Monaro I believe that GM are to start shipping 40,000+ Commodores per year to the States as Pontiacs G8s, perhaps as Vauxalls to the UK as well, so there should be an ongoing supply for Z transplants.

I searched for months here for a Monaro engine (LS2) but no joy. They are very few and far between because there are very very few Monaros about. They are not selling well here.

Why would u need the original sender unit ?? I can get one if needs be but as I am not an engineer, any guidance will help greatly. I would have thought that any suitable sender would be fine. The original would surely only work properly in the original tank ?