HybridZ

What driveshaft do you start with?

A question for all you sbc 700r4 z guys. What driveshaft do you start with? I have a shortened z shaft that someone said was for a sb ford and tranny, but I don't know for sure. The rear universal on that shaft looks very small. Should I buy a used gm shaft and buy a rear adapter from JTR? What have you guys done? What should I expect to pay for the driveshaft work?

thanks,

Tom

(I did a driveshaft search and read much info, but nothing exactly for my question)

We have always used a GM drive shaft, like one for a camero, need to have the correct front yoke for your tranny, then measure from the end of the transmission shaft to the center of the rear end u-joint flange. Tell the machinist how you measured. My brother Jerry uses a rear adpater that accepts the larger u-joints and fits the 4 hole flange of the rear end.

Hopefully he will see this post and chime in with the part number.

I think we pay around $55.00 to have one cut and balanced if we supply the parts. My brother Jerry gets a lot of favors done with machinist because he is a rep for a automobile parts supplier.

John

A question for all you sbc 700r4 z guys. What driveshaft do you start with? I have a shortened z shaft that someone said was for a sb ford and tranny, but I don't know for sure. The rear universal on that shaft looks very small. Should I buy a used gm shaft and buy a rear adapter from JTR? What have you guys done? What should I expect to pay for the driveshaft work?

thanks,

Tom

(I did a driveshaft search and read much info, but nothing exactly for my question)

most driveshaft shops would rather build you a heavy duty drive shaft to exactly match the application than rebuild and modify old parts of unknown origin,strength and condition, yeah it will easily cost more but you usually get a much better & STRONGER final product

keep in mind that outside dia. wall thickness and the material used have a huge effect on the shock and torque loads the driveshaft can handle, and stock driveshafts were never meant to handle the torque, rpms and shock loads racing puts them thru

I'm only building a street machine. I'll get on it once in awhile, but no road or drag racing.

I have the back half of a z drive shaft and the universal joint looks awful small compared to a GM. I just looked at the JTR website and they have an adapter that works for my 76 260z. Does this adapter fit right into a camaro drive shaft? I'm just trying to get all my stuff in one sock for a driveshaft rebuild. I really don't want a high dollar racing driveshaft for a street runner. What have you guys done is what I'm interested in hearing.

thanks again,

Tom

I just switched from an 700R4 to a turbo 350 so I had to have a new shaft made. I went with all new pieces and spent $350. I'd be happy to sell my removed driveshaft for the 700R4 is you are interested. It is custom built and balanced with greaseable u-joints. If you send me you diff to trans seal measurement I can veify fitment.

Robert

I had a custom one made using the rear adapter from JTR and a Spicer Yoke on the front. Total cost was about $250.00 but I know it's brand new, balanced correctly and stronger than a stock one that has been cut a re-welded. Peace of mind is worth the price.

Wheelman

i brought the steel camaro ds and old stock z ds to the local shop [fleetpride], they cut the camaro trans end and z diff end then welded both to a new steel tube, balanced, painted and handed it back in exchange for $100. 3000+ miles, just over 160mph blast last summer and doing fine. will do the same again once i have the q45 diff installed.