HybridZ

Which ECU Should I go with (FAQ)

Careless

Once that's done, I can make a JPEG or PDF comparison chart, so that you can directly compare them.

I was at Barnes and Noble stores this weekend and was in the automotive section and came across one of those engine management for dummy books.... didn’t realize there was one. BUT on the first page it had listed every EMS I have ever heard of except SDS and MEGA S with all the specs and what it could and couldn’t do. sounds kinda like what your looking for, NO????

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the AEM ECU yet. Out of all the other systems that I've looked into, this one has the most flexability.

http://aempower.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=950

It's Plug & Play, but don't let the fool you. Once you plug it in it will need alot of play time before you can get it running. It has the capabilty of controlling nearly every aspect of the motor. The down side is that it is also probably one of the most complicated systems to get running.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the AEM ECU yet. Out of all the other systems that I've looked into, this one has the most flexability.

http://aempower.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=950

It's Plug & Play, but don't let the fool you. Once you plug it in it will need alot of play time before you can get it running. It has the capabilty of controlling nearly every aspect of the motor. The down side is that it is also probably one of the most complicated systems to get running.

Don't forget to mention the cost!

But if look at the fact that it is also a boost controler, and comes with a wide band O2 for about $2,100, it's not that bad of a deal. But yeah it is a big nut to swallow!

hey hey hey...

take the "swallowing" and the "nutts" to the Girlfriend/Wife thread.

:lmao:

j/k. hehehehe... I HAD TO! YOU SET 'EM UP! I'LL KNOCK 'EM DOWWWWN!

• Administrators

In your opinion, what are its stand-out features?

But if look at the fact that it is also a boost controler...

Is it a flat boost controller or does it allow boost trims based on RPM, vehicle speed, air temp, water temp, throttle position, various auxiliary inputs, valet mode, others? Does it allow a potentiometer, switch (or switches) to be used to adjust boost on the fly? Overboost protection?

If you don't know the answers to these types of questions, you're not done 'shopping' :wink:

so... 3 bus rides, and I'm half way through the corky bell book.

by my bus ride home tomorrow, i should be well on my home-stretch, probably looking over the glossary...

than it's onto my EFI management systems book.

Are there any portions of this book that anyone would deem out-dated in regards to common practices or available parts at the time before I plan my system out?

I will indeed be going N/A for the first year or two on this engine. so I doubt I'll even make factory turbo horsepower with my RB30/26 N/A setup, but I'd like to prepare the system for a low-boost application in the future, perhaps running 10:1 with boost between 7 to 10 psi.

are there any special features or bundles or devices that i should be paying close attention to when I read this book in regards to N/A?

But if look at the fact that it is also a boost controler, and comes with a wide band O2 for about $2,100, it's not that bad of a deal. But yeah it is a big nut to swallow!

Aye 2100 bucks! I dont know who your AEM dealer is, but I've sold AEM's like that for way cheaper

I put on a group buy a few months ago with the EMS, sensors, and a wideband for like 1850

• Administrators

Not trying to say the AEM is not a powerful quality system. AEM is successfully being used by many tuner shops, but for the prices quoted and features, I can’t imagine that the AEM is any more flexible than the WOLF v500 especially for the price. I recently purchased the WOLF V500 for much less than $2100, and will be using the V-500’s boost control features for my MPFI supercharged DIS V-8 powered Z.

Boost control in “one tenth” of a percent resolution in 125 RPM steps up to 16,000 RPM! Several boost trim controls based on several inputs such as water temp, air temp, TPS, or pretty much any other input you would like “trim” boost with…

Also, WOLF can run staged/blended extra injectors etc, (i.e. the extra injectors can be Methanol and have them “blend” with boost etc…).

The thread linked below covers Haltech, AEM, WOLF, and discuses some of the benefits of each.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=117313

I took a picture of my V-500 on my lap top and highlighted some of its boost control features.

Boost1Large.jpg

V51-1Custom.jpg

V52Custom.jpg

In your opinion, what are its stand-out features?

Is it a flat boost controller or does it allow boost trims based on RPM, vehicle speed, air temp, water temp, throttle position, various auxiliary inputs, valet mode, others? Does it allow a potentiometer, switch (or switches) to be used to adjust boost on the fly? Overboost protection?

If you don't know the answers to these types of questions, you're not done 'shopping' :wink:

The answers to all your questions can be found here. http://aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=62

Much easier to cut and paste, then explain everything. :willy_nil

The Wolf 5 looks like a nice system as well. It seems as if thw Wolf and AEM are the most similiar. But the AEM is still "Plug & Play"

• Administrators
The answers to all your questions can be found here. http://aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=62

The Wolf 5 looks like a nice system as well. It seems as if thw Wolf and AEM are the most similiar. But the AEM is still "Plug & Play"

Correction.. WOLF is also plug & play for many manufactures including the NISSAN RB engines.

Wolf supports plug and play for the following Nissans as listed on their web site…

Z-32 with VG30DE and VG30DETT

S-13, S14, S14A, S15 with SR20DET and CA18DET

R32-R33 GTST with RB25DET

R-32, R33, R34 GTR with the RB26DETT

And these other manufacturers..

BMW, Holden, Mitsubishi, NISSAN, Subaru, and Mazda coming soon.

• Administrators

I have read many spec. sheets and brochures, including the one you linked. What I was looking for is what tickles YOU. What floats YOUR boat is the goal, regardless of what's important to Careless, Braap, myself... or a brochure.

Wolf *is* "Plug N Play" for various engines, including the RB. V500 recently superseded V4 and the maps are somewhat lagging. Although, I'm expecting Wolf to be caught up in a few weeks... the transition into a vastly new product almost always incur's some teething.

Man, I'm definately going wolf for my RB30/26 build.

My father is an electrical engineer and I have a bit of an electrical background being under his wing often times, and It just looks like the best system for the price when compared to units of similar stature. (not saying that it lends me any credability, but from what i've read i totally understand)

One thing I like about the WOLF is that it's almost as if they're trying to stay away from the Multi-Tier model line-up and offer the best system for the best price, rather than split features off into different models. thats an advantage and a disadvantage as far as determining the level of tuning required by each individual. But i think having the option to decide to go further and farther is a bit of a nice bonus fail-safe.

What I was looking for is what tickles YOU. What floats YOUR boat is the goal, regardless of what's important to Careless, Braap, myself... or a brochure.

What I like the AEM (Floats my boat) is the fact that it is, for the most part, an all in one unit, and the degree of flexibility that it gives you. Now that I know more about the Wolf V, I will take a closer look at it.

What scares me about the AEM is that I'm not an experienced tuner"YET".

The Wolf appears to be a bit more intuative than the AEM.

Does Wolf have a support forum like AEM?

What I like the AEM (Floats my boat) is the fact that it is, for the most part, an all in one unit

I see really no difference in the AEM or the Wolf if that's the reason you like the AEM. cause the Wolf is a stand-alone, through and through.

• Administrators

What scares me about the AEM is that I'm not an experienced tuner"YET".

The Wolf appears to be a bit more intuitive than the AEM.

The only system that I've ever used that was easier to tune than Wolf is SDS. Wolf is very intuitive. Drivability is also top-shelf... The belching and bucking stories I've seen and heard about some systems isn't 'included' with Wolf :wink:

Does Wolf have a support forum like AEM?

The short answer is no, not exactly.

Wolf systems have been very trouble free overall. This limits most of the tech support to configuration and understanding how the system works. Most of the time, the complexity of the system revolves around the configuration process. Since Wolf can interface with almost any sensor, trigger, ignition, etc, the number of choices in the config. menu can be a little daunting to the first time user. If you buy a Plug N Play, the config. will already be done. If you buy a universal fit, your dealer should help you with, or provide you with, the correct configuration. Wolf relies heavily on their dealers to provide the necessary support. You should feel free to contact him/her with your tech questions.

I don't have every answer. No one does. If I can't answer a question, I have my own 'support group', be it Wolf themselves, other dealers, etc.

Additionally any Wolf customer can contact Wolf directly via email or phone.

Of course, If enough of you buy systems, maybe *I'll* start a support forum :wink:

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I picked up and read the Jeff Hartmann book. It's an excellent book for beginners. It is, IMHO, way over priced for what it tells you. I was expecting piles of dyno sheets showing the various timing/afr combo's along with datalog screenshots showing you how to analyze the data the various ecu's. Some of the info I have seen in magazines except the magazines went into more detail than the book.

And I'd like to know if anyone has looked at the fjo system.

Well, I picked up and read the Jeff Hartmann book. It's an excellent book for beginners. It is, IMHO, way over priced for what it tells you. I was expecting piles of dyno sheets showing the various timing/afr combo's along with datalog screenshots showing you how to analyze the data the various ecu's. Some of the info I have seen in magazines except the magazines went into more detail than the book.

And I'd like to know if anyone has looked at the fjo system.

I have been reading the same book, and I find that it's overly repetative, and not as descriptive as i would like to be.

not as much formula as well as certain application specific insight.

for example, it makes no mention of what's better to use in a certain situation, or has examples of work concluding the theories in the book. like Alpha-N vs Map vs Speed Density or what have you.

it mentions them, describes them, but doesnt break them down or compare them very well.

good book though =)

I'm almost done. this book is taking me about 5 times longer than the corky bell book now. the typography is quite dense and small.