HybridZ

Stuck 240Z Brake Drum

If you have a blow torch handy. heat the center of the drum in between the studs and around the very center of the hub,get it as hot as possible,smack it a few times with a hammer twak.gif between the studs.if this doesn`t work the first time,repeat and follow by quenching with a liberal flow of water from a garden hose until completely cool,then smack it again twak.gif

Got the drum off.

Don't do this if you have good drums...I drilled all the way around the hub with a 3/8 drill bit being careful not to score the hub. The drum finally pulled away after I drilled the last hole. Lots of rust on the hub. Found that the shoes were soaked with brake fluid and the adjuster was jammed.

Original plan was to rebuild the front brakes first. At this point I think I'll just go ahead and rebuild the rear brakes.

Learned some things about Z brakes. The cylinders and the stock shoes are different on the left and right side. The after market shoes (Raybestos) I bought are the same for both right and left sides. The seem to fit ok. I tried to buy stock Nissan shoes but none could be found locally. Once I get the rears rebuilt I would like to try the Ferodo "Green Stuff" shoes and Metal Master front pads. Anyone out there using the Ferodo shoes?

Miles

Miles,

Too bad you did not follow Dan Juday's tip first about my tutorial on removing troublesome brake drums . Everything was there to save you a lot of pain and mess.

IMO, applying heat or drilling the aluminum brake drums should be your very last course of action. If you did not permanently warp or damage your drum you are most lucky.

Now that you have one off, you might want to check the other side as well. Cleaning up the rust and crude down to solid metal inside the drum, especially around the both the contact surfaces around the studs is also a wise idea to prevent the problem reforming quickly.

Note, a reader of my article wrote me to say that he had found that using a slide hammer hooked over the fins was a good alternative to using a block of wood and hammer from the backside, as I recommended. I'd have to agree mostly with the exception that the metal hook could do more damage than the wood approach.

Good luck,

Eric Neyerlin - owner of ZPARTS.COM

Eric

I did follow the artical, but that passenger side drum would not budge. I tried repeated heat, hammering and even dry ice to no avail. The driver's side drum was deeply grooved so I decided to just go ahead and do a 100% rebuild on the rear brakes including new drums. The stuck drum was also deeply scored as the previous owner evidently couldn't get the drum off either and let the shoes wear to the metal. When I am done all front and rear brake components will be new except for the hard pipes.

Thanks

Miles

I have to agree with Miles - sometimes those methods just DON'T WORK. I tried everything on that brake removal link, and none of it worked for me. Mine was frozen on, wouldn't come off with heat (15 minutes of propane torch), hammer, sledge hammer, grinding, etc. Shoe release switch didn't do anything, and the parking brake was off. I wound up dropping the whole strut assembly, removing it with the disk brake, taking an impact gun to the stub axle nut (27 mm socket, i believe), and then just whacking it with a sledge to get the drum off. It was frozen shut wit rust.

Guest Anonymous

Take a disc grinder to those drums and cut them off like a doctor does an old cast. Sounds like they are not worth saving anyway. A guy can tear and break everything up trying to get off what he will discard any way. I busted up more good parts removing junk from them. Cut it out. A lttle vandalism settles your frayed nerves. A relative of mine with a shop has a lot of various cheap wrenchs for the sole purpose to weld on the worn out shoulders of hex nuts or bolts to remove them. If he cannot remove a nut or bolt with a good box end wrench , out comes a cheap wrench and the wire welder.He says it is cheaper to destroy an inexpensive wrench than waste his valuable time on some lengthy removal.

I have never had to play with aluminum drums, but cast iron will always come off with a good soaking of penetrant on the center (PB Blaster comes to mind) and hitting the drum at a 45 deg. angle at 9:00 (3:00 if a righty) far harder than you think you should with a 2 lb. sledge. Works on my Z, '69 Cutlass, Monza, etc.

A shop teacher at Sierra (Sacramento anyone?) showed me years back. Low tech still has a place in the world.

• 9 years later...