HybridZ

Sectioning for MR2/240z-F Illumina inserts. Length removed from each tube?

OK I know sectioning struts has been ran into the ground around here. Before you tar and feather me..yes i searched! I found enough conflicting info to make my eyes cross and to leave me unsure. So please help me before i develop a migraine :)

My car-

240Z strut tubes

Want to use MR2 front and 240Z fronts in the rear.

Will be welding on perches for coilovers at the same time.

My questions-

The 240Z front inserts in the rear will require exactly 2 inches removed from the rear strut tube - correct?

The MR2 inserts in the front will require somewhere between 1.6 and 2" from what I have found..I need the exact amount to remove from the front strut tube please.

Thank you for any help

Jason

Have them in hand. One thing that was recommended to me was to put the strut in the tube and put the nut on the while tacking them together.

Doing this aligns the 2 halfs almost perfectly. I did this and only use a welding magnet to hold them together. The strut inserts slid in and out of the housing easily and without grinding/sanding the inside at all.

There is no set length to remove from each tube and that's thinking about it the wrong way. What you are really doing is making the strut length match the shock body length. Unless you measure the strut tube exactly the same way that I (or others) measure the strut tube, comparing numbers is meaningless.

That being said, if you measure by putting a tape measure inside a completely cleaned out strut tube and make sure the end of the tape measure is centered in the little depression at the bottom of the strut tube, the lengths are as follows:

Front BZ3099 - 13.375" to 13.500"

Rear BZ3015 (with a custom length spacer) - 14.938" to 15"

Well it is unanimous!

I was hoping to get specific lengths since I am having an automotive shop attempt the cut and weld of the tubes. I am not able to weld (yet). But thats alright. I will order the inserts and mark the tubes myself for them to go by.

So would the best way to judge how much is too be cut be simply dropping the new inserts into the tube, install the glad nuts, mark the piston with tape at its lowest exposed point...then pull the insert up against the bottom of the gland nut and again mark the lowest exposed point with tape...then simply measure the distance between the two marks?

Any tips on cleaning out the strut tubes? I had a hell of time pulling one of the old inserts so I know its rusty inside.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...