HybridZ

Beautiful Port and Polished N42 on eBay...

slownrusty

Guest 280ZForce

Yes, a nice piece indeed, but I believe it is only ported, NOT polished my man Yasin :wink: otherwise the intake and exhaust ports would be bling blingin

and that would hurt the flow. at least on the intake side.

and not to be a jerk, but 196cfm@.600" lift with 28in of vacuum on the intake?? I got 210 out of an N47 screwing around at 1 fast Zs shop, with the same numbers.

merely an observation.

polished on the intake side would hurt flow. If you polish it ot a mirrior finish, it hurts it.

this was stolen from some site....

A course surface causes the air touching it to tumble and form a thin cushion of air. This is called a boundary layer. The boundary layer acts like a lubricant to the other air flowing in the port.

A smooth surface flows well too until the drag it causes makes it tumble also but it tends to create huge waves which effectively reduces the size of the port. These waves build and collapse at an incredible rate so what you have is a "part time" port.

heck its not just ported, it flowbenched. you can also say there is quite the difference to that statement. i can port, no numbers to support the work i have done. it can actually hurt the flow if you do one thing and not another, or in the wrong area.

Stock is 176 out of the intakes. Yea thats not a big percentage increase, but he should of stated stock numbers, so we know percentage increase on the same flow bench. I get about 225 cfm, on a 176 stock port. I see why it didnt sell.

NEW standard is 28 inches, not 25 anymore, BUT it DOESNT matter what were talking about as for PRESSURE, as one should always have a graph plotted, of before and after results on the SAME flow bench for percentage increase reasons. It should show ALL lifts, all the way to .650". Heres some of my early work.

P90FlowDataAt25inches_18998_image001.gif

P90FlowDataAt25inches_18998_image002.gif

My customers recive a excell spread sheet with all of the test and pressure numbers, and percentage increase.

Im sorry but i really do not understand what the 28" of water is and cfms things like that could someone explain what it is or a site where i can find out what it is... im intrested in port and poslish and doing some dome work for my head but i would like to understand what exactly it all is....

1 fast Z is correct. Flow benches are like dynos. You need before and after comparisons on the same machine to see what kind of real gain was achived. Flow #'s is also not the endall to performance of a head, there is much more to consider.

True there is much more to consider, I have HUNDREDS of runs down the 1/4mi track, to backup my work.

Can you say that the other guy doesn't have hundreds of runs to back up his work? I think until the other guy shows up to defend himself this thread is not worth too much. I'm inclined to close it if nothing meaningful comes out of it very soon.

Without knowing the exact nature of the porting and talking to the guy that ported it, it would be hard to decide whether or not it's worth the money. Flow #'s are great, but a monkey can make high flow #'s. Without the trust of the shop that ported it, you don't know if you're getting a well thought out port design, or one that someone just messed around with until he saw high numbers on the bench. I'm in no way implying that this guy doesn't know what he's doing, just that ebay can be filled with junk, so it's best to research it out and talk to the shop that did the work before you commit that kind of money.

Like I have heard from another reputable porter, Even without a flow bench, as long as your customers keep coming back for your work, and they like what their purchasing, thats all that matters. I have the same reasoning, if your customers love your work, they love how it performs, and you have proof to back up your work, what else matters?