HybridZ

Not using gaskets on headers

My limited experience with headers is that they will eventually leak. My new Sanderson headers claim you don't need a gasket at all but to install them with high temp RTV. Has anyone done this, does it work reliably and would you recommend using gaskets anyway? If gaskets are your choice which type of gaskets do you recommend?

I wouldnt' trust sanderson headers on THAT claim for SH*T! The set of Sandersons i ordered from JTR were by FAR the WORSE set of headers i have EVER ordered. I paid twice as much for them as an elcheapo ebay kinda and the ebay was better quality. They didnt clean them up for me at all.. still had metal shavings in them, burrs on the welds inside the flange, and the weld looked like SH*T. I'm highly upset with them considering i had to wait 1 1/2 months on them also. hell they should've been coated with PLATINUM and FLAWLESS for the time they took. Sorry for the rant, but i wouldnt trust that claim. I'd get felpro header gaskets that have the hook holes. if they blow you unbolt the header a little slide the gasket up.. slide a new one in. the holes are cut in half so they just slide down into place instead of taking the header all the way off... hope that helps.

I would not run those headers without gaskets. While I don't have the part number in front of me, I recommend Felpro, which you can get at Advance/AutoZone. I think the last set I used for block huggers was part number 1404. I'll find the part number when I get home. Which sandersons do you have? Are the D-shaped or not?

I also recommend stage 8 locking header bolts.

You can use the hi temp red permitex, we used to that when we ran the Stahl headers on the other Z car. It worked okay, but we do use the header gaskets now on the regular super comp hooker headers we run now. We run three sets on each side to give us extra clearence because of the angle spark plugs.

John

I would not run those headers without gaskets. While I don't have the part number in front of me, I recommend Felpro, which you can get at Advance/AutoZone. I think the last set I used for block huggers was part number 1404. I'll find the part number when I get home. Which sandersons do you have? Are the D-shaped or not?

I also recommend stage 8 locking header bolts.

"D" port angle plug black huggers.

thanks

Yikes, tell us how you really feel, LOL. The quailty of these looks great and I got them in a week from JTR. But I have my doubts on the RTV too. Thanks for the felpro tip.

I wouldnt' trust sanderson headers on THAT claim for SH*T! The set of Sandersons i ordered from JTR were by FAR the WORSE set of headers i have EVER ordered. I paid twice as much for them as an elcheapo ebay kinda and the ebay was better quality. They didnt clean them up for me at all.. still had metal shavings in them, burrs on the welds inside the flange, and the weld looked like SH*T. I'm highly upset with them considering i had to wait 1 1/2 months on them also. hell they should've been coated with PLATINUM and FLAWLESS for the time they took. Sorry for the rant, but i wouldnt trust that claim. I'd get felpro header gaskets that have the hook holes. if they blow you unbolt the header a little slide the gasket up.. slide a new one in. the holes are cut in half so they just slide down into place instead of taking the header all the way off... hope that helps.

Ok, I had my doubts, but I tried it. Used the high temp rtv, torqued them. Probably only about 400 miles so far, but no leaks. Oh and the Sanderson's I got are really, really nice. Clean beautiful welds. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike

Thanks, maybe I'll give it a shot. These are so easy to put on and take off, not like other headers I've had. And mine are really nice too.

Ok, I had my doubts, but I tried it. Used the high temp rtv, torqued them. Probably only about 400 miles so far, but no leaks. Oh and the Sanderson's I got are really, really nice. Clean beautiful welds. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike

Thanks, I found the 1406 at Summit and the locking bolts too. Those bolts are expensive, LOL. Advanced deosn't have them listed on their on-line site but that doesn't nean much as to what they have at the stores.

Part number is 1406 for D ports.

I must agree that my sanderson headers were very well made. I had ebay cheapo headers that I modified for the ZX. I finally broke down and bought the headers from JTR and I have been very happy with them. I have had no sealing problems for close to 9 months and I move a bit of air through them :D .

The guy who built my headers builds the prototypes for new Corvettes and Vipers for the proving grounds outside of Phoenix, and he used Permatex on all the downstream connections. You can see just a bit in the joints. I don't know if he did the same with the header to block junction because the seam is so tight. I wonder how Permatex would stand up to the compression right at the inlet to the header...

I have the Sandersons and they are well made, I used the high temp silicon they recommend and have had Zero problems. You need to go over the mounting bolts after the engine has been up to temperature. I checked the bolts a couple of times after a few hundrend miles and could not find anything loose.

I've been using the silicone trick for years now. I use the regular black automotive silicone, and put it on both sides of a header gasket, and sandwich it between the header and head. I never have a leak, and the regular silicone takes the heat.

Sanderson is saying not to use anything but the high temp RTV. I have decided to go with Earl's gaskets, highly recommended by a couple of buddies. Expensive but they say they have never had a leak with these.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=EAR%2D29DA3BERL&N=700+115&autoview=sku

I've been using the silicone trick for years now. I use the regular black automotive silicone, and put it on both sides of a header gasket, and sandwich it between the header and head. I never have a leak, and the regular silicone takes the heat.

You either love or hate Sanderson. I had a $400 set for 4.3 V6. The quality was subpar. Only the Jethot coating was done with any quality consideration. They burned through at the primary/collector joints in 6 months. This was a stock engine running the stock ecm/harness and full emissions. Tony kept saying it was my engine running lean. He would not offer any help except to sell me another set at $400 again. F**K him and his company. I ended up modifying a set of factory s/s manifolds. That was over 6 years ago and they are still running strong. As to the subject, I have used Permatex grey or black hi-temp sealant on thick flanged machined flat header flanges without a gasket and had no problems.