HybridZ

X brace rocker to strut towers

This is an idea of Cary's (tube80z) that I've wanted to implement for a long time. Steve Parmley (zlalomz) has a similar set up in his red car. I wanted this to be lightweight so I used 1.625 x .065 tubing which is roughly 1lb per foot, and there are rougly 7' in there so figure about 7 lbs. This is attached to the roll bar tubing which is 1.75 x .120. I plan on using this same lightweight tubing for strut braces in the front as well.

I think this X brace is a really really good idea because it braces the strut tower to the strongest part of the cage, which is attached to the strongest part of the unibody.

I had to cut holes in the fenderwells to get the bottom of the tubes welded, so that is in the pictures. Took me quite a few hours to get all the tubes notched and ready to weld. I'm not very good at welding where tubes come together at shallow angles, so that part came out a little messy, although I know it's attached plenty good.

When I modded the control arms I was considering somehow attaching the control arm reinforcing plates in the last picture into this X structure somehow. I'm still not set on what to do there.

I need to get a bit more 1" square tube, and that will be welded into the top corner of the deck and notched to fit the top of the X.

Pics:

DSCN1639.jpg

DSCN1640.jpg

DSCN1641.jpg

DSCN1642.jpg

DSCN1643.jpg

DSCN1644.jpg

DSCN1645.jpg

DSCN1646.jpg

DSCN1647.jpg

DSCN1648.jpg

DSCN1649.jpg

Not really keeping track. I know the SFC's were ~12 lbs. This was ~7. I added about a 1lb to each control arm, and probably another 2 lbs with my toe adjuster. But to counter that I've stripped the interior. I think I'm limited to 2200 lbs to run F/P if I decide to do that, and if I just go for broke and screw the rules I think I'll be able to get under 2100 lbs with the completed cage. That's the goal anyway. Might have to pick up some of John Coffey's body panels to get there...

I've seen a number of FP/AP 240Zs over the years with shaved drip rails and I know one won a Naitonal Championship. It might be in the rules but, at least a few years ago, it wasn't a concern for the competitors.

Last I checked the min weight in FP was 2100 with a 2.8L (.75 X the displacement). 2200 if you go with oversized wheels (over 10" wide or 16" in diameter(100 lbs penalty)) which works out well if you can not get the car down enough in weight.

Last I checked the min weight in FP was 2100 with a 2.8L (.75 X the displacement). 2200 if you go with oversized wheels (over 10" wide or 16" in diameter(100 lbs penalty)) which works out well if you can not get the car down enough in weight.

I think that same rule also says 2200 if you have subframe connectors. So really that should probably be my goal, and then at some point I might have to add some bigger flares and try to take advantage of the wider wheels rule...