HybridZ

limited slip?

gjc5500

I know that the 240 doesnt come with lsd from the factory, it doesnt have cv's or a finned cover on the diff. but when i spun my tires, both spun. much like positrack. whats the deal? is there a way to tell what kind of diff. is in the car w/o opening it? is this normal?

even an open diff wantes to turn both wheels the same way the difference comes into play when one side grips and one side slips, this difference is the brake away torque, I think the stock CLSD's are like 40 ftlbs, jack up the rear of the car and put the trans in gear, if you can easilly turn one wheel while the other goes reverse direction it's open, if it takes a bunch of force, like oh say 40 ftlbs then it's got a LSD, the R180 LSD's sisn't come with finned covers

That is the IRS. With a solid rear axle the torque tries to lift one of the wheels causing it to spin more easily than the other wheel. Get the car into a turn and you will see the open diff.

There is always a lot of talk about turning one wheel etc, but the best way to tell if it is limited slip is to pull the cover and look. It is so simple to do I don't know why people try any other way.