HybridZ

L28et Swap into a 240z, difficult?

wanganZ

Hello all!

Completely new to the forums so Ill start by introducing myself. Im colin and I currently drive a Subaru WRX, however I will be needing to sell it shortly in order to pay for school and housing. I was looking at the Z as a replacement daily driver, seeing as you can get them for relatively cheap and they are awesome cars. With all that out of the way, here is my question:

How difficult is it to swap a L28et into a 240z? Will I have any problems mounting it or is it basically the same as the 280? Also, any idea roughly how much it would cost to have a l28et rebuilt? Appreciate all the feed back I can get.

1. Use the Search Function

2. Read the FAQ's

3. Use more Seach Function

4. Read the rules and guidelines of the site

5. Search again

6. Once you searched a little more then post your question.

While you're new to Z's start off by reading about the car itself in STOCK form, then you can easily search for all you needs. I.E. L28ET Swap into an S30 (one of the most popular swaps and tons of info). You're most likely going to get flamed and beat over the head for this, don't take it personal. We like car guys and we like that you're looking to modify your Z, however spend some time doing your end by reading and searching. It'll make you stay here much easier and much more pleasant for everyone. Best of luck,

Tyson

Here's a good starting point. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84860

just from the small amount of research ive done, I've gotten this much so far

-Use the feed as your return then plumb in a new feed line in 3/8" for fuel

-L28et already has forged rods and crank, but pistons are weak point and will be replaced by forged pistons

-Using P90 head with stock turbo Cam

-rx7 450cc fuel injectors

Also discovered PALLNET and plan on getting the fuel rail, intake manifold and 60mm TB from them.

I think the majority of the cost is when you stray from the stock L28ET to aftermarket. The initial cost is finding a donor car. 200-750. The rest is labor in the swap. For real performance your range is .01 - $$$$

If it were me in your situation, don't do the swap. Finish school, get a good education, drive the stock 240 the way it is. Once your done, have a good job, buy a house and go crazy on the car.

Oh and don't get married just yet. Finish the car first, then get married!

JSM,

You sound like an old guy who has been through the "buy cool car, get married, have kids, sell cool car" deal. I went the same route and don't really regret any of it except I never got my college degree which now impacts my bottom line.

WanganZ.

Listen to what JSM said. You can always buy and drive the car(s) you want but as you get older it becomes more difficult to get that education. Family and other obligations build up quickly and pretty soon you're 40 and still haven't finish school. Find a beater to drive while in school and concentrate on it, then after you find your first real job buy the car you want and go to town on it.

Wheelman

Well im not really in need of money, just stopping payments on my wrx and getting some cash to help my mother out with paying for my housing. As far as my education is concerned, I plan on continuing school. By the time im 22, 4 years from now, ill have an Accounting degree and also a MBA, and thats when the NSX comes. In the meantime though, I plan on driving the stock 240z and building up a l28et on the side, that way I still have a daily driver and also something to build up in the meantime.

Not to old 37. I'm just way over spent on my house. I love it, but I could do without it to have more toys! It is in a great area, great layout and great for the kids, but bottom line it is just a roof over my head and someplace warm to sleep at night. I do totally enjoy my 3 car garage!

Funny how in life you want the big house, but man does it cost you.

I've not had to many cool cars that have ever been new. I reserve the new ones for the wife even if it is a new van. I always buy used for myself.

No regrets except like you I only have my two year degree. Wish I had the other two. Maybe one day I'll go back.

Regards,

Jeff

JSM,

You sound like an old guy who has been through the "buy cool car, get married, have kids, sell cool car" deal. I went the same route and don't really regret any of it except I never got my college degree which now impacts my bottom line.

Wheelman

I was not trying to tell you what to do only to watch out. The power of a women will make you do all kinds of crazy things!

Good for you on trying to help your mom out. Good luck w/ the build.

Well im not really in need of money, just stopping payments on my wrx and getting some cash to help my mother out with paying for my housing. As far as my education is concerned, I plan on continuing school. By the time im 22, 4 years from now, ill have an Accounting degree and also a MBA, and thats when the NSX comes. In the meantime though, I plan on driving the stock 240z and building up a l28et on the side, that way I still have a daily driver and also something to build up in the meantime.

thanks man, and trust me, i know. Being an accounting major, its easy to see how women fall under l,iabilities. Now a days especially, women want to be taken out, taken care of, spend your money to treat themselves etc. Except the only difference from the traditional woman that did the exact same, is that she doesnt cook, clean or take care of you, but instead just constantly nags about how her friends boyfriend did this and that. Who needs girl friends when you have a project car. Hell, theyre both the same, minus the fact that despite how much you put your car through, its still gonna make you smile everytime you punch it or take a freeway on ramp with some speed

If it were me in your situation, don't do the swap. Finish school, get a good education, drive the stock 240 the way it is. Once your done, have a good job, buy a house and go crazy on the car.

Oh and don't get married just yet. Finish the car first, then get married!

Or goto school and build the car? It takes alot out of you, but its well worth it in the end, when you know that you busted your A$$ for months working and going to school, and when you get a chance to you can build the Z. Mine should be done fairly soon, I work full time and goto school full time, and its pretty cool to know that the Z will be road worthy and destroying the ricers around.

and its pretty cool to know that the Z will be road worthy and destroying the ricers around.

Exactly the same reason im so motivated with building mine. Theres something about driving a turbo'd and intercooled inline 6 thats from 1972 around that gives off that "BAMF" aura. Watch out numerous civics and crx's with altezza's and giant wings

Congrats on driving your 9 month project for the first time jimbo, hows it running?

YOu guys put tears through my eyes. Heheh, but yeah, you guys are right, work + school= is stressing enough as it is, but I can't picture myself with a wife+kids + house at this points. im 25 still in school and l28et + vg30et sitting on the side of my house and I haven't touch it for the last 8months. But wanganZ good luck with your built. keep us old fart update

I say that you can go to school and build the car at the same time...just dont expect on completing it anytime soon! I especially know this, as i am going to school out of state (also an accounting major btw.) and only getting to work on it during summer is really getting to me. although, it give lots of time to read up and do research! im hoping to make a bad a$$ street fighter but cars are getting faster and faster nowadays...shhesh i wish i had my car done when a cold air intake, cams, and header were considered the norm. mods! now turbo kits are everywhere!

Good luck to you rztmartini! Like i said, i dont really plan on having this thing completed anytime soon, just looking for a new project. Also, I plan on using the 240z stock as my daily driver until the l28et is ready to be dropped into it along with all the other goodies. Good news is i've saved up now and am almost at $2000, all I need now is to find a decent 240z that runs.