HybridZ

Yet another flare thread (flares for 305's?).....

Guest Gr8White

Guest Gr8White

OK, guys, before you flame me please note that I have searched and then searched again and can't seem to find the answer to this question in definitive terms...:icon11:

What is the widest tire that can be stuffed within the subtle Z fender flares when using coilovers? I have seen that the question has been asked, but nobody has answered it that I can see..... I'm contemplating the YZ vs. subtle Z flares and like the look of the subtle Z...Looking to stuff some 305's under these and don't think it's gonna happen with the subtle Z flares...Any help would be appreciated.....

I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the Subtle flares add 1.5" in width. What is sure is that there is no way you're going to fit a 305 in there, unless you tub the chassis. You'll need the YZ, as I don't think it's practical to fit a 305 under the 940Z flares either.

One thing to keep in mind is where the wheel goes during the suspension travel. Just because it squeezes inside the outer lip of the flare at normal ride height doesn't mean that the tire won't hit the flare or the inner fender when the suspension compresses.

I was testing this for the 3" flares I'm putting on my car and found that I really can't go too far past 11" in tire width, and I think that the 11" tire will hit the inner fender on full compression of the suspension.

What about using the subtle Z fender, then adding ZG flares? Has anyone tried this? I think it should work.

I doubt anyone has tried that yet. At least I have not seen it or heard of it yet. It would be pretty interesting to see that, although if I had the Subtle Z body kit, I would loathe to do anything else to it because it would no longer be "subtle." The more I look at the kit, the more I like it. I have the hood, but not the flares/fenders.

Davy

Guest Gr8White
What is sure is that there is no way you're going to fit a 305 in there, unless you tub the chassis.

That's what I was thinking. The math doesn't lie and I was thinking that with the 1 1/2" extra clearance a 275 would be about as wide as I could go (with coilovers of course)..Thanks for the information. -Will

I still don't think it'll give you enough travel... We were looking at Jim Mcnemar's car the other day and his flares, although HUGE, have the same issue the ZFG flare would encounter... Under full compression, there simply isn't enough room inside the flare/fender to fit a 305 series tire... My ZG flares are barely enough for the 275s on the rear of my car.

Mike

It looks like Rick has that tire on a rim that is pretty narrow for the tread width. I did the same thing to squeeze a 250mm wide slick inside a stock fender (mounted it on an 8" rim). What I'm getting at is that tire might not fit if it were mounted on a rim that was 2" wider.

As I said earlier, there needs to be room for the wheel throughout the entire suspension travel. I don't think most people check for this at all. They tend to check at ride height and call it good. I wonder if Rick has the necessary room at full compression. Rick, did you check and is there room???

Yeah, that's a bit different than what a road race tire would do. I wanted to run my 250's on a 10" rim but didn't have the room. But I guess you're asking different things of the sidewall in drag and road racing. If I were putting a 325 on my car it would go on a 13" rim.

Exactly... You can get away with cantilevering the sidewall on a drag slick, but youll get killed trying that on a road race slick... First Hi-G load corner will pull the bead off the seal and the tire will walk off the rim... Thanks, I'll pass.

Mike

One option would be the Goodyear or Hoosier cantilevers designed for lateral loads. Most oddball thing I ever saw, but they do work well when you're constrained by wheel width requirements. I tried to find a photo, but the ones I had, had the section width extending at least 1" (if not more) beyond the lip of the wheel. Imagine putting a 9.5" tire on a 7" wheel. The drawing below is very accurate is how the tire looks on the wheel.

standard.jpg

Terry, THat's correct, but I want to make something clear to others who may read this thread... The tire TERRY is speaking of is specifically designed to be placed on narrower rims. Do NOT try to place a 275-40-17 on an 8 inch rim if it isn't a cantilever design tire. ALWAYS check the tire manufacturer for specific width rim recommendations.

Mike

That's bare minimum for a 315 size w/ low profile sidewalls of any of the makers out there. I'd never go less than a 10.5 inch wide wheel, and ideally you'll want a 12 inch wheel.

Consult Tirerack.com for recommended sizing on tires. This stuff is serious business... :shock:

Mike