HybridZ

Should there be a slant???

christoc

Alright, so I made a mistake today, possibly. I removed the motor mounts from my 78 parts motor, but failed to pay attention to which mount went on which side.

After working all day on things today my father and I (he's retired so I've put him to work as slave labor now that he's in town for a while) put the 83 l28ET along with the 79 5speed into the car, using the motor mounts in the best manner we seemed to be able to come up with. The question I have though is this. Should the motor be straight up and down, or should the motor have a slight lean to it?

See the photo below, and year I realize the car is leaning from the jacking arrangement, but should the block lean to the left like it does in the photo? If not, I'm guessing we have the mounts backwards, and need to switch the sides they are mounted on.

Thanks for any positive replies ;)

434599157_b7ed799d0d.jpg?v=0

Wouldn't some serious attention need to be given to the oil pump pickup and the pan if you leaned the engine over very far?

Yup. Depending on how much the engine position is changed, you would also need to adjust the transmision fluid fill, the shifter position, throttle linkage, exhaust manifold, exhuast system, intake manifold, CAI, clutch line, starter wiring, coolant hoses, thermostat position, and probably a few other things I forgot about.

I leaned the engine over in the ROD 2.5 more degrees (15 total) and moved it down 2" and back 4". Lowered the CG a bit and gave the car a 48F/52R weight distribution. It all depends on how far you want to take the level of preparation allowed by the rules.

John, yes, I'm building an SM2 car, but in very slow steps. Once I get it running, then I'll work on future modifications. Suspension will most likely be next, then more power and better power delivery. Perhaps next for winter I can look at moving the motor a bit, for now I'm hoping to leave it in place and pray that it runs :D

Thanks for the hears up though, I'll be in touch :)

pray that it runs

That would be an important part of making a fast SM2 car....:-)

If you fall into a pile of cash, Sunbelt has an assembled L30 long block (F54, P90) that Jim says is good to 650 horsepower. Customer backed out of the deal so they are looking to get around $7,500 for it. Lots of forged internal parts and a custom Crower crank from what I understand.

That would be an important part of making a fast SM2 car....:-)

If you fall into a pile of cash, Sunbelt has an assembled L30 long block (F54, P90) that Jim says is good to 650 horsepower. Customer backed out of the deal so they are looking to get around $7,500 for it. Lots of forged internal parts and a custom Crower crank from what I understand.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a pile of cash to drop into....