HybridZ

Post before and after photos of your Z

MY77Z

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I knew, they'd be fixed. It feels like there is air in the front, no matter how much I bleed. We blocked off the master after I replaced it several times, and it's fine - we blocked off the fronts and the rears feel 100% solid as well. Booster and master are brand new, calipers and pads and flexible hoses are brand new - the only thing left is the hard lines and stock porp valve & distribution block. All connections have been checked and tightened and none appear to be leaking. Pressure bleeding = no air, bleeding by hand (mac tilton) = no air, vacuum bleeding, I think I did get a little more air out initially (hard to tell since you have to retape the bleedscrews every 10 minutes) - but I'm not sure, no more came out and the pedal still just as bad. We tried unplugging the calipers and plugging the lines, and bleeding them out, and the pedal still felt just as bad, so I might be able to rule the calipers out if we really had all the air out of the ends after doing that. It's hard to tell without bleed screws.

I'd guess it was a leak but I can't find any fluid anywhere. Stock brakes were working perfectly before I took them off.

If I knew, they'd be fixed. It feels like there is air in the front, no matter how much I bleed. We blocked off the master after I replaced it several times, and it's fine - we blocked off the fronts and the rears feel 100% solid as well. Booster and master are brand new, calipers and pads and flexible hoses are brand new - the only thing left is the hard lines and stock porp valve & distribution block. All connections have been checked and tightened and none appear to be leaking. Pressure bleeding = no air, bleeding by hand (mac tilton) = no air, vacuum bleeding, I think I did get a little more air out initially (hard to tell since you have to retape the bleedscrews every 10 minutes) - but I'm not sure, no more came out and the pedal still just as bad. We tried unplugging the calipers and plugging the lines, and bleeding them out, and the pedal still felt just as bad, so I might be able to rule the calipers out if we really had all the air out of the ends after doing that. It's hard to tell without bleed screws.

I'd guess it was a leak but I can't find any fluid anywhere. Stock brakes were working perfectly before I took them off.

Two things come to mind after reading this, the first and most obvious is you said "the only thing left is the hard lines and stock porp valve & distribution block.". That makes me ask do you have an aftermarket proportioning valve and the stock one in place? Do you have only the stock proportioning valve with this new brake system? If the answer is yes to either of those questions get rid of the stock proportioning valve and use the Wilwood valve. Second thing, if you only have an aftermarket valve in the system already then you should take a look at your brake master cylinder, I suspect it is to small for the brake system you now have. Call Wilwood tell them everypart you have in your system from the brake pedal to the bleed screw and that information should include all sizes on everything including brake lines, also you should expect them to ask you what your pedal ratio is. An example of pedal ratio is: From the pivot point of your pedal to the actuator rod for the master cylinder is 2" and the pivot point of the pedal to the center of the foot pad is 12" (assuming that the pivot of the pedal is at the top and the actuator is below it) you devide 12 by 2 and you get a pedal ratio of 6 (which is one of the most common ratio's). When provided with all the information they will be able to tell you exactly where your problem is and what you need to do to correct it.

Dragonfly

Thanks, I will call them and ask. I am using the 79 280zx 15/16 master and I have not installed the wilwood prop valve yet (I have it). I talked to Dave at AZZ and he said the 15/16 works well for this application, but I would definitely feel better (after fighting this for a year) to hear it from Wilwood. He also said I should be able to get a firm pedal without installing the proportioning valve. I held off on this because I'm going to have to cut my brake lines and I didn't want to possibly introduce more problems until I took care of the ones I had. He also told me to leave the stock one in place...I thought that was the correct install procedure. Can brake bias issues cause you to lose all the pedal pressure, though? Thanks for the response, I'll try and look into both these things.

Crappy before pics are pictures of pictures (film pictures, no scanner).

The two white streaks are just glare

04110002.jpg

04110003.jpg

After (well, during, I'm no where close to done. Only difference now that would be visible in these pictures is sport seats instead of the stockers)

Stupid water spots...

01070004-1.jpg

01070003-1.jpg

I left it out of the first post, but it just makes me laugh too hard not to share...

Where the major visual change between before and after took place...

12300006-1.jpg

Incase you're too dumbfounded or laughing too hard to realize what that is, it is the spray booth I painted the car in. Seriously. The frames are from those pop up shades like what you would take to a large picknick or outing, and the plastic is, well, what our new mattresses came in a few months before.

I left it out of the first post, but it just makes me laugh too hard not to share...

Where the major visual change between before and after took place...

12300006-1.jpg

Incase you're too dumbfounded or laughing too hard to realize what that is, it is the spray booth I painted the car in. Seriously. The frames are from those pop up shades like what you would take to a large picknick or outing, and the plastic is, well, what our new mattresses came in a few months before.

I love it! now that is a great way to reuse what you got ... it actually makes me think about painting my car in a similar set up (but I have been lucky enough to make friends with a guy here who does car repair and painting ... so I will probably use his booth, and help, I hope)

I always like re-using normal stuff we have ... all the parts like the front air dam, rear spoiler, cowl etc were on an old bakers rack my parents had ... we abused the crap out of that thing, using it for so many projects. Never would have thought it would come in so handy. Dumpster diving is fun!

x64v......love the car and the wheels, what are those?

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe that they're some old American Racing wheels. Steel, 14x7, wrapped with 215-60's. The centers are supposed to be gloss gold but these are so old they've faded.

• 1 month later...