HybridZ

t56 clutch master cylinder question on 240z

Guest jmsmith37

Guest jmsmith37

i put a lt1 t56 with push type clutch does anyone have any experience in using the stock 240z pedals with a clutch master that works good? I tried to fab up the camaro prebleed cluth but bent the rod and was unhappy with the travel of the clutch pedal.

I have a Tilton 1" master but am thinking about going to a larger size. Right now the clutch grabs right off the floor. I had the flywheel resurfaced when the trans was put on, and added a 1/16" shim behind the slave to compensate, but I don't like the result. Maybe a larger master will push just enough more fluid to move the pedal travel up a little. I think there are previous posts about what size master others are using...

Guest jmsmith37

thanks for your help i got it into my head that im gonna try the corvette clutch master cylinder because it should work ill let you all know but if it doesn't ill go with the tilton

I have a Tilton 1" master but am thinking about going to a larger size. Right now the clutch grabs right off the floor. I had the flywheel resurfaced when the trans was put on, and added a 1/16" shim behind the slave to compensate, but I don't like the result. Maybe a larger master will push just enough more fluid to move the pedal travel up a little. I think there are previous posts about what size master others are using...

Am I backwards in thinking you have this backwards? If the cylinder was larger it would displace more fluid for the same travel. Therefore if you put an even bigger one on then it would grab just that much sooner. A smaller one would take more pedal travel before it moved enough fluid out of the slave cylinder to engage the clutch and improve your problem - no?

Cameron

My thinking was that to get more disengagement of the clutch, I'd need the slave to extend farther to push the clutch fingers sooner. The instructions that came with the new clutch said that to gain pedal travel, shim the slave cylinder, but there's no way I was going to pull the trans, and exhaust, and console, etc, to fix this. Then I remembered that there's some adjustment on the length of the master cylinder actuator rod on the clevis on the pedal. I hate to admit this, but when I got down there to see how much the rod could be adjusted, I found that the carpet had shifted and wadded up between the clutch pedal and the floor. Problem solved. (Just one of the bugs on a new car.) So, bottom line is that a 1" master seems to be ok...

Guest jmsmith37

im on the tilton web site and the 74 and 75 seiries look very similar is the 75 any better it clams to have faster activation and improved feel any one used that series

Am I backwards in thinking you have this backwards? If the cylinder was larger it would displace more fluid for the same travel. Therefore if you put an even bigger one on then it would grab just that much sooner. A smaller one would take more pedal travel before it moved enough fluid out of the slave cylinder to engage the clutch and improve your problem - no?

Cameron

I agree with you.