HybridZ

Cobra R Wheels Installed

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by jeromio:

Sharp. Those 17X9s don't rub in the front? My 17X8s are pretty close at full lock.

What kind of tires are those, Kumho's (kuhmo, khumo - H is in there someplace)?

At full right lock, the left tire rubs the sway bar. At full left lock nothing rubs. I will try to adjust the tie-rods to see if I can get everthing centered and hopefully not have anything rub. BTW, the steering is not stock. (see my other post about Power Steering)

The tires are Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's

The stock rear hubs were re-drilled for 5 lugs. I then added a bolt-on, 1.25" spacer (like Ross C. sells).

The front hubs are from an '86 300ZX. These have the correct offset for the Cobra R wheels, so no spacer was needed for the wheels. The rotor, however, needs to be spaced back to align it with the caliper (Toyota 4x4). I got these spacers from Mike-scca.

Guest jwelch

Paul,

Nice Job! Are you using coilovers? What kind of fender flares? Car looks awesome. hail.gif

I need fender flairs badly but don't want to start cutting until I find the right ones.

RacerX,

Don't want to step on any toes here. The 5 lug hubs will fit on the existing spindle. The bearings are the same but the rear dust shield is different and should be replaced with a new one. I would also update the bearings.

The five lug 300ZX hub has a different offset then the 4 lug hub. You can swap the two but be aware the wheel mounting point moves outward about 1". Your new rims need about 24mm of offset to counter this new mounting location.

Danno74Z

Thanks for all the compliments... here are some answers to your questions:

>Paul,

>Nice Job! Are you using coilovers? What kind of fender flares? Car looks awesome.

>I need fender flairs badly but don't want to start cutting until I find the right ones.

>

>--------------------

>John

>77 280V8Z

>66 383 Charger

John,

Yes, I have coil-overs all around.

The rears are flared with the MSA fiberglass "Street Flares" P/N 50-1552

>Paul,

>

>Very nice machine! Are you using the original 240Z struts? If so, did the '86 300ZX hubs

>bolt right onto the spindles withou any machining? Which wheel bearings did you use?

>Thanks in advance.

>

>RacerX

>

>RacerX,

>

>Don't want to step on any toes here. The 5 lug hubs will fit on the existing spindle. The

>bearings are the same but the rear dust shield is different and should be replaced with a

>new one. I would also update the bearings.

>

>The five lug 300ZX hub has a different offset then the 4 lug hub. You can swap the two >but be aware the wheel mounting point moves outward about 1". Your new rims need about >24mm of offset to counter this new mounting location.

>

>Danno74Z

Danno74Z is correct, the 300ZX hubs slip right onto the 240Z spindles, but changes the offset. Turns out the 9" Cobra R's I bought have 24mm offset, so they work great with these hubs (no spacers). As I mentioned earlier, though, the rotor needs to be spaced back by 1.40 inch to line it up with the caliper.

>Paul, you said "aftermarket" Cobra R style wheels. What brand and model are they? They >look perfect on your car.

>

>Mike Mileski

>Tucson, AZ

Hi Mike,

I got these wheels from www.performancewheeloutlet.com The rear wheels (the 10.5" wide) took a long time to get. The fronts, which I ordered separately, showed up in just a few days. There are other aftermarket suppliers of Cobra R wheels, but not many that have 10 inch or wider, which is what I wanted to fill the rear flares. Prices are pretty good too... $185 ea for the rears and $150 ea for the fronts (painted)

Paul

Paul, great stuff as usual cheers.gif

Did you by chance get any weights on the rims alone or rim/tire combos? (or packing slips for the pairs...). Curious what their weight/each is.

And for others, 70-89 front wheel bearings are the same. Seals do differ, get the right one for the hub you are using. Synthetic grease is a good choice as well, and a cheap insurance policy at that.

Originally posted by Ross C:

Paul, great stuff as usual cheers.gif

Did you by chance get any weights on the rims alone or rim/tire combos? (or packing slips for the pairs...). Curious what their weight/each is.

Hi Ross,

Sorry, didn't weigh the wheels, but I would guess that being light-weight is not one of the benefits of these wheels. The casting is fairly thick (like an OEM) and at 17x10.5, there is a lot of metal at the outer diameter. Next time I have the wheel/tire off, I'll try to remember to weight them.

I have the Eagle brand version of this same wheel in a polished finish... They are 17X9.5 inches, and weigh about 23# each. The four wheels cost me $450 shipped, and they are the same lug pattern, and interestingly enough...I'm running the SAME MSA flares on the rear... Your car is basically a Blue version of mine Less the Whale tail!

Mike Kelly :cool:

Racerx

I ordered 1974 260Z bearings for my car and the dust shields for the 1986 turbo 300ZX hubs. All parts fit together just fine. I did a little checking for you and the bearings #'s and $$ are the same for either the 74 or the 86 bearings.

I paid $8.20 for the front inner and $8.16 for the outer bearings. I went to Nissan for the dust shields and paid $7.50 each. I also changed out the caps with the o-rings for $8.00. Both were dented pretty bad and one was missing the o-ring -what the hell. bonk.gif

Danno74Z