HybridZ

Homebrew Adjustable rear LCA

I've been looking and looking and can't find any threads on them. I'd like to simply modify my existing LCAs to be adjustable. I imagine someone has done it. I'd like to run poly for the inner bushing and heims on the outside. If someone could post some links or something....that would be great.

Yeah OK, I just checked real quick to see if one of those links was the poor man's adjustable rear crossmember thingie you two came up with. That was a really cool idea and you two (Terry & Jon) really worked it and discussed it until some great solutions were put into metal. Great thread, and the reason I'm saying this now in this thread about hacking up your stock arms to make them adjustable is some folks could do some fabrication that might be questionable. (not you BJhines either, those look great!) But the adjustable crossmember would give most people the desired effect (on car adjustability of rear suspension) with out the safety factor of chopping up your stock arms. BJhine's car is a race car. It gets inspected and maintained on a level (probably) that many street driven cars do not. (it probably gets driven a HELL of a lot harder then most street cars) For your average guy (you three, Terry Jon and BJHines are master fabricators) that could be a better solution.

How bout a adjustable suspension FAQ?

Hey.... and if ya do that, how about an align your new adjustable suspension FAQs? along with what setting worked in what environment and why? (now I'm dreaming)

Great information. Thanks. JMort..I read through most of your thread, and I really like your design. I might make some changes. I'll try to work on it this week and get some pictures up. Thanks for the replies. BJ, great work. I was kicking around that design for the fronts, but then I saw the other member (can't remember his name) who made the on-car adjustable ones painted red. I have to figure out what to do with the camber plates before I determine which front LCA design to use.

I should be getting the block back from the machine shop this week....I hope. I'd like to build the engine and stick that in with the trans to get the proper weight on both axles before I start doing anything with the suspension, and then do the suspension all at once. I'll post an update in the CV8 forum when I've got something.

Yup, you guys nailed why my rear arms failed and why I eventually bought a set of the AZC rear arms... You have to be able to get the toe back in the rear... BJ's got some nice parts there and I especially like the way he did the stock rear control arms. Only issue is will adding too much toe put a bind on the arm's travel? I bet it doesn't, or he wouldn't have them on his car! :wink:

Mike

BJ nice arms. The only issue that I have with the stock arms is that one side fits all!! I really wish Nissan built 2 different arms one for each side. The reason that I say it is because I would love to be able to change the sway bar point on the rear, but with the current rear arm you have the little pocket to work with.

Oh well will have to continue to watch this post and see what happens.

Keep up the good work and keep sharing it with the rest of us!

HB280ZT

Thanks guys...

On car adjustable really does a lot more than what it says.

I have set up several custom suspensions on BMW E30+36s, S-30 Datsuns, And recently a nicely set up Z-32. I have been using a Hunter Alignment machine.

The thing I have noticed is that it often takes 1/8th to 1/4 turns of the adjuster to get the right setting. I can only make 1/2 turn adjustments on the outer LCA joints(lacking the extra ON-CAR adjuster parts). I can make up for the fine adjustment in other places.

Removing the bolts or other parts is not very hard to do. The key is that an ON-CAR adjustable set up allows infinite adjustments to the parts.

I would highly suggest making or buying ON_CAR adjustable LCAs if you have not added other parts in other areas that will allow fine adjustment.