HybridZ

speedometer is bouncing

BobyYoo

My 1981 280zx, the speedometer is bouncing when i drive, the speed goes up, but it bounce up and down, but it goes up showing the right speed.

It is also making a weird noise when it bounce. like kwik kwik kwik kwik

does anyone what is kind of problem could be. is it the speedometer cable that is loose?

Could have broken teeth on the gear, or the cable might be binding up. I'd pull it out of the tranny for an inspect. If the teeth look good, pull the cable out of the sheath and take a gander. If everything looks good, I'd clean it up and give it a good lube. That should fix your problems, or at least show you what you need.

It is actually pretty easy to disconnect the under dash part of the speedo cable on my 240. It just unscrews from the back of the speedo. Just reach your hand up and follow the cable to the speedo. You should be able to do it with no tools and your eyes closed.

Disconnecting one end (either end really) should allow you to remove the turning portion from the center of the sheath and clean/lube it up. The only complication might be getting it back in if the outer sheath is chewed up or the inner portion is frayed. You would then have to disconnect both ends to straighten out the sheath to feed the cable back in place.

I found that my speedo cable was wound so that lube crawled up it. I figured this out when I had a leaky O-ring at the transmission end and the gear lube crawled up the cable and leaked out the back of the speedo connection directly onto my foot. I'm not sure that they're all wound this way, but if they were you should be able to disconnect the cable at the transmission and lube it there, then let the spiral on the cable pull the lube up. Much easier I think, as getting your hands in to disconnect the cable behind the dash was quite a PITA for me as I recall. If the sheath or the cable is frayed it's going to be a real PITA to get it back in if you pull the cable out.