HybridZ

Fabbing surge tank, catch can, and coolant overflow.

I'm planning on making a catch can, coolant overflow tank, and EFI surge tank from some sheet aluminum i have. I've got a lot of .063", and a bit of .125" sheet.

In your opinion would the .063 be an adequate thickness for all of these items? i was wondering mostly for the surge tank, because i believe my fuel cell is made from .125" . The surge tank is before the high pressure efi pump though...I'm pretty sure the .063'' will be okay for the catch can , and coolant overflow...because they're made from plastic sometimes...

thanks.

For catch can and overflow it doesn't matter. Hell people have successfully used plastic Coke (substitute beverage of choice) bottles for overflow tanks. However I personally would be conservative with the surge tank due to the nature that it holds highly flammable liquid and last thing I would want to see is stress a crack (from welding or vibration or the way it's mounted or poor penetration or etc) ... but then again fire scares me. I'm am dumbfounded how people wear sleeveless shirt and jeans at the demo derby when at the two I've been to about every other run is temporarily stopped to put our random fires. Seems to really depend on your welding skills to me.

Cameron

• 1 month later...