HybridZ

Just a thought for a parking brake for the 4piston wilwood guys

Yes, you definitely don't want to use line-locks for a parking brake. Even if they hold pressure, the seal will be deformed over time. I called Wilwood and they said absolutely do not leave the brakes applied for long periods of time for this reason.

When I went with Dave's brakes I decided not to use the parking brake - just leave it in gear. No more turbo timer, but I never drove super hard into a parking lot and then immediately shut the car off anyway. Also no more remote start. Oh, the sacrifices we have to make for big brakes.

So the only thing I really wanted was the handbrake functionality to lock up the rear tires by themselves, in order to quickly spin the car around a 180' turn (there have actually been some autocross courses where I needed to do this.) Not exactly critical but it would be nice.

Dave told me he was in contact with someone who was going to make a special linelock setup that could accomplish this with the stock handbrake. It was supposed to be ready to sell about 18 months ago. I've been bugging him ever since but it's always "next month." I'm looking forward to trying it out when it comes out.

This is all assuming I can find the leak in my front brake system - been trying to get them operational for over a year now.

Or just do what the manufactures do - use a Drum in Hat setup. This is what I am working on right now. See my thread about Vented on the rear? Yes/No sorry for the hi-jack but it is related. This is why I am playing with the rear brakes right now as I wanted a park brake but still have the option for using a non parkbrake caliper or line lock (can be difficult to get road legal status here in NZ - not impossible but just a lot of red tape ie must have a cert and log book = must be a race car that does at least 2 events a year or it must be taken off the road or have the line lock/hydraulic handbrake removed etc)

im sorry, would you please explain the setup you had in the picture.

This setup is from Jason Paruta used to be a member here. You fab a bracket to accomodate the wilwood spot mechanical caliper and brake caliper. A You have to get two small heim joints with a threaded rod to attache the datsun handbrake cable to the spot caliper via a small home made bracket, riveted or screwed to the lower strut but it must be able to pivot.

Hope you get the idea, the picture shows everything.

Happy Easter,

Dat260

the reason i was looking into the hydraulic handbrake was for those fun "e-brake 180's".

if you are using the 15/16 ZX master cylinder, and just put this hydraulic lever in-line with the rear brakes, would it work to "momentarily" lock up the rear brakes?

as for leaving it for weeks, a brick would do just fine lol.

• 1 year later...