HybridZ

LS2 in a box

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is week 4 and today was the day the power steering got finished. and as a bonus we got to hear the motor run with wide open headers. we only ran it 30 seconds or so because the radiator is not installed yet. (I will get to that tomorrow)

my personal LS1 Z-car is going in next week for dual exhaust and we are optimistic that my old system will fit on Dave's car with minimal massaging.

I know Dave is anxious to drive it but the exhaust issue will give much needed time tidy things up.

Here is a few pics of the power steering. next week I should have shots of the complete car.

250039543.jpg

250039548.jpg

250039552.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by piston View Post

i was looking at this pic and it looks like your fuel lines are hanging

slightly lower than your frame rails, that wouldnt be an issue would

it? im just thinking what if it scrapes over something???

Ya, the trans looks even lower!

Remember on a LSX Datsun the oil pan is about 1.5 inches lower than

stock. on this car the cross member is droped to protect the pan and to

allow room for the steering to clear the stock crank pulley. the cross

member should protect the the undercarrage in most situations. actually

the fuel lines are protected by the frame rail for the front 2 3rds of

the car.

This car rides pretty high too. Dave has driven it 30,000 miles so far

with the line in that location, the only difference is I had to add a

return line next to the original low pressure line.

Dave K.

Fuel line issues can escalate rapidly from minor concerns to major incidents.

Serious differences between running 7-10 psi (carbed SBC getting away with rubber hose and clamps) versus 55-60 PSI fuel line pressures with an injected LSX.

This LS1 Miata went approximately 5 miles after the new owner had just purchased it from a guy before experiencing this fuel line related problem.

Just because nothing's happened so far, doesn't mean something's "safe".

Have a good one.

Hot LS1 V8 Miata 2_thumb.jpg

Hot LS1 V8 Miata_thumb.jpg

Good point on the increased pressure over the old system, I better get some protection over those lines.

My car is the same way too, now I'll have to do two of them.

I have some extruded aluminum that will make a nice skid plate for the fuel lines, just have to come up with a way to attach it without puting a bunch of holes in the floorboard. any ideas?

After looking at your photo gallery, and seeing the exceptional quality of your work the answers would seem to me to be straight forward.

Either stainless steel tubing artfully bent and installed to hug the floor pan following every contour and staying tucked as close to subframe, unibody rails as possible and above the "scrubline" with two short stainless braided sections of line, one at the engine / fuel rail and the other back by the regulator and tank. (Russell makes a 6 AN fitting that goes from braided fuel line to OEM style connection right onto the GM LS fuel rail)

The fuel system layout I chose was a Walbro 255 in-tank pump (good to about 600 HP) a OEM C-5 Corvette combo filter/regulator ($39.00) mounted back by the tank (this location allows the bypass line to stay short running back to the tank and reduces "dead head" pressure stresses on the pump). I'm running one single braided stainless, continuous AN line forward to the engine bay & fuel rail. Heat sheathing over the fuel line in potential warm areas with the entire line adel clamped up and adjacent to the sub-frame rails of the uni-body above the scrubline.

I didn't want to do holes in the floor-pan of my car either but I've got spot welded bolts all over to accomodate the support/protection of fuel and brake lines underneath and the end result is really worth the hassle.

Of course you know to never run any fuel line through the car's interior. This violates every sanctioning bodies saftey regs for pretty obvious reasons.

Beautiful, beautiful car, outstanding work! Looks like GREAT track day fun to me.

Sorry for the long rambling post, have a great week-end.

how much would you charge to do this to a 1985 300 zx? But using an ls1 instead of ls2??? Just curious

Thanks for asking, but this is kind of a part time thing for me, and so far all I have done are 240's and don't really know much about the zx's

Dave K.

Just curious, it looks like a Street Performance (Mena, Ark) air cleaner and I see you're FBW throttle body. What are you using for your ECM and wiring harness (OEM reprogrammed and Speartech) or something else?

I'd appreciate knowing the price and source if it's good.

Thanks , have a great week-end.

The PCM came from regal performance,(it was part of the engine/trans

package)  but he has them programed by someone else and offers a

new painless harness with the deal. I was impressed with the harness

and it comes with a good instruction manual.I hooked up HP Tuners to

the PCM and it thinks it's a 2003 corvette. in reality the engine is a

2005 corvette LS2. when Dave ordered the engine he had a choice of DBW

or mechanical, I think it was about $50 more for the DBW. the nice

thing about about the electronic throttle is if you are using a GM

steering column (witch we are not) it would be simple to add cruise

control. it's all built in to the DBW module and the painless harness

even has all the brake and clutch switch wiring to support it.

That air cleaner setup is a S&P, but we found it used on ebay. Dave

went that route on my recommendation based on the street orientation of

his car, and the parts and labor to build a good cold air system would

have been a little more and taken more time. I was a little concerned

about intake noise but it's actually pretty quiet.

From the pics it looks like you are using the older LS1 computer- many swaps are doing this- that is why it thinks it is an 03. The LS1 can be upgraded to run the throttle-by-wire and a lot of hot rod shops are using the older computer because the software for the newer ones are just now coming out and everyone has the software for the ls1. As long as it us programmed right you won't have any problems. There are a several aftermarket cruise controls that will hook into your computer that wouldn't require the GM column, but you would still have to install the brake and clutch switches. They are pretty inexpensive, I have been thinking about putting one in.

Mike

The SSR, GTO, Cadillac CTS-V and Corvettes with LS2s and the LS7 are all running the Delphi MEFI type based PCM (the new OEM PCM) complete different PCMs, untunable with HP Tunners, LS1 Edit or any of the popular software, it's GM proprietary so far. Very few shop or dealers actually have the Delphi software and files as the program and equipment are very expensive.

My son-in-law's business, Howard Performance has the Delphi MEFI IV complete system, tuning equipment, custom dyno evolved files and he does custom tuning on the MEFI IV (Stand alone, Sandcars, Hot-rods) but has yet to receive any OEM level Delphi tuning software / capability for GM streer production cars.

Again, GM's making it tough on all of us transplant motorheads outta the mainstream!

there's a guy on ls1tech who lives around here (seattle :( )... can't remember his name, who tunes ls2s for members, something like buying the software (proprietary) and a six pack, he might charge, not sure, but he's pretty f*cking good from what i've seen, my friend and i showed up at his place as he and his buddy got out of an 11 second h2

Off topic - But I would like to emulate the front end on your Z. Do you know what turnsignal lights and front spoiler were used and can you take some closeups please.

243529765.jpg

Thanks In Advanced - Hawaiiz

I don't know what front spoiler was used - it was on the car when I got it. The turn signals are stock 72 Z. When I get around to body work and paint, I'm going to do some modifications on the front.

I'll try to get some close-ups taken and post them.

Dave Philippi