HybridZ

full boost at 4500 rpm

4znova1

hey guys i have a huge problem that i need help with.. I am not hitting full boost until 4500 rpms. I thought that it was my crappy intercooler, but i just put a j-pipe on and still had the same results. i have good vacuum at idle. 17-18 on my vacuum gauge i dont think there are any leaks anywhere.

the thing i am concerned about is the 2mm head gasket which lowered the compression and probably threw off the cam timing, but i dont know if this could be it. im tired of this car being so sluggish when it shouldnt be.

l28et

3inch exhaust

crane cams hi-6 ignition

8psi

Yah i have a 300zx also with a blown headgasket and that thing hits boost right away and you actually feel it. in my l28et zx turbo, i hear the turbo but barely feel it kick in, and it takes so long to start building boost. It starts to build boost at 3500 but doesnt hit full until about 4500-500 rpm. I live in orange county ca if if anyone would care to take a look at it. i would pay of course..

You can do it in-place. Disconnect the wastegate rod from the actuator arm, and see if you can get the arm on the turbine hot-side to move. Sometimes soaking in Kroil or PB BLaster works to free it up, otherwise further disassembly is required.

It wouldn't be the first time a linnkage rod was bound up as well. Removing the actuator completely is a simple matter with two 13mm bolts and a needle nosed pliers for the clip on the hot side.

That little rusty arm should flop around pretty freely once disconnected.

If it does, the possibility of the flapper being broken off comes to mind, and as stated above, 'further disassembly maybe required at that point---if the popoff valve on the manifold is not leaking boost off.

So there are a few things you cna check before having to remove the turbo for inspection. Worth the time to check first, doesn't hurt at least...