HybridZ

< 10 minute mustache bar bushing removal

John Scott

Getting ready for the install of my 3.7s. Got the old original rubber mustache bar bushings out and ready for the urethane replacements. I found using a 1.5" hole saw on my 3/8 drill with a little lubricant, follwing up with a sharp scraper, then a 2" wire brush had the job done for both sides in just a few minutes. Watch out for hole saw causing combustion to the old rubber. I inserted drill head through the bar eye then attached the brush so pulling through wouldn't bind. Great surface for new install.

musbar.jpg

I've been using hole saws to remove bushings for several years now and I can take out the 8 rear control arm bushings (both sides) in under an hour using the right sized hole saw, then a few selective whacks with a chisel to remove the outer metal sleeves. A good vise makes it go that much faster.

All in my garage without stinking up my house.

Watch what happens when you heat it up on the outside with a torch, it starts to swell and then the rubber gets soft and it starts to squeeze itself out; then all you do is grab hold( with a little twist that breaks it loose) and pull it out in one piece. All that is left is maybe a little touchup with the wire wheel!

Watch what happens when you heat it up on the outside with a torch, it starts to swell and then the rubber gets soft and it starts to squeeze itself out; then all you do is grab hold( with a little twist that breaks it loose) and pull it out in one piece. All that is left is maybe a little touchup with the wire wheel!

Yep, this is the key. Get a good monkey wrench and you are set. Works great on the control arm bushings too. The hole saw method also works but after a lot of trial and error I recommend the wrench method.

- Greg -