HybridZ

Installing the MS-II

cygnusx1

I have been tearing out the plumbing and electrical system of my 83 turbo motor in my Z. I am in the process of converting to Ford 440cc o-ring injectors with euro pintle caps, AN fitting fuel delivery, a new cold air intake, and Megasquirt-II. Here are some progress photos.

Mice pissed and sh1t on the intake manifold over the winter. :-(

Stripped and test fitting the injectors and rail.

143266725-L.jpg

Rail comes very close to thremostat housing. I will be replacing the bolts on the housing with button head allen bolts for clearance of the fuel feed line.

143266795-L.jpg

Fuel pressure gauge on the rail end.

143267013-L.jpg

It's a JSK rail made custom for me with 14mm O-Ring ports. I am either going to polish it or paint it black. The valve cover and intercooler pipes are all going to be wrinkle black. I plan on sealing off all the intake manifold ports with plates and NPT plugs. Then I might make an insulated aluminum cover to fit over the body of the manifold to hide all the ugly ports and shield some heat. I wll keep posting photos here as I progress.

Well, didn't get a ton of work done but I realized that there is no way the fuel line is going straight into the rail. The therm. housing is too far in the way. I had to order two more overpriced AN fittings to get around it. Meanwhile, I fabricated two brackets to hold the fuel rail to the intake manifold. I do everything with scrap metal I have laying around, a hammer, drill, hacksaw, vice, and spray paint. :-)

Oh and I polished up the fuel rail a bit.

143755367-M.jpg

143755436-M.jpg

143755494-M.jpg

143755563-M.jpg

143755622-M.jpg

Yes, toolbenches get cluttered!

143755292-L-2.jpg

More work today.

Fuel lines converted to AN. Since the fuel lines have two flares in them, I cut off the first one and then couterbored out the red fitting just deep enough from the bottom that it slips over the second flare. If I didnt, it would not go on the line deep enough.

143999864-M.jpg

Budget RRFPR. No room for error here. Short tubes. NOTE: I used sealant compound on all the compression fittings.

143999972-M.jpg

Ford Racing "green tops"

144000069-M.jpg

144000140-M.jpg

Air filter location (yeah I know hot air) I have no way to get it out front,

144000341-M.jpg

Dave, the possibility of mice spending the winter in my Z is one reason I justified buying a Car Jacket a few years back. The jacket is like a sleeping bag, open it up, roll the Z in and Z it up for the winter!! It supposedly keeps the critters and moisture out.

Your improvements look great BTW!!

It's been a while since I posted an update. The reason is that there have been a few roadblocks. Literally, we had the flood last week with 18" of water in the basement which kept me away from the Z for a few days. Then the weather turned nice and I was waiting for my two 45 degree AN fittings to come from Summit Racing. Well, a section of my road washed away and FedEx refused to deliver my stuff to me. Funny how UPS delivered a partial order no problem during the same time period, but FedEX, with the two 45 degree fittings, made THREE unsuccessful deliver attempts! WTF? So that held me back.

I decided to keep the L28ET intake manifold instead of switching to an earlier one, because of the webbing. It makes good sense as the webbing: 1) is a heat sheild and 2) hides the ugly exhaust manifold. Keeping it meant having to make block off plates for the EGR ports on the manifold and the downpipe. I also needed a plate for the top of the manifold where the AAC mounted. I bought a chunk of 3/8" thick aluminum bar, traced the gaskets with a pencil, and went for it with my hacksaw. Yes, my hacksaw! A few hours later, my dad, a retired machinist, stopped by and called me a nut for using a hacksaw. He's right.

So I finally got the 45degree AN fittings and plumbed all the fuel lines. Yeah! Time to install the fuel rail, injectors, and get the whole thing signed, sealed, delivered....wait, CRAP! One of the injector O-Rings is missing. Arrrgh. Off to zparts.com to order an injector o-ring. Resume waiting for delivery truck. Oh what a slow and painful process it is.

Good thing I am addicted to this crap or I would quit! :wink:

on the webbed intake, I found that the intake gets less heatsoaked with the nonwebbed, I think the webbing holds the heat inplace allowing the manifold to heat up more, it sure seems that way on my car, YRMV

why and how did you do the a/n fitting on the stock fpr? when I ran a barbred type bosch afpr I just ran an a/n barb and rubber hose to the fpr

and if this is to document your megasquirt install, why not post this in the megasquirt section?

on the webbed intake, I found that the intake gets less heatsoaked with the nonwebbed, I think the webbing holds the heat inplace allowing the manifold to heat up more, it sure seems that way on my car, YRMV

why and how did you do the a/n fitting on the stock fpr? when I ran a barbred type bosch afpr I just ran an a/n barb and rubber hose to the fpr

and if this is to document your megasquirt install, why not post this in the megasquirt section?

I think there is already a thread about the manifolds webbed vs open. I think Nissan did it to sheild the fuel rail. I like it to hide my ugle exhaust manifold. I converted to AN fittings so that when/if I have to change my regulator, I will get an aftermarket one with AN and swap it out easily. The AN fittings are -6 from either Summit or Earls. Look for -6 tube to AN adapters. 5/16" tube. When I actually get to the wiring and programming of the MS, I will start a thread in MS and link to it. This is the pre-install...should have been more specific in the title I guess.

OK Got to work on the car again the past few days. Mechanically it is getting near completion.

I still need to tweak the strut bar to make the bolts line up. I don't know why it's off? It seems about 1/2" off and meets the firewall slightly off center. As far as I know, my car is straight. Weird. Also notice the stock fuel regulator on the passengers inner fender.

149043498-L.jpg

Here you can see the aluminum plates I made to block off the ports on the maifold. Those were made with a hacksaw and a bench grinder! Also you can see the fuel pressure gauge at the end of the fuel rail.

149044060-L.jpg

Another view. You can see the air filter wedged between the I/C pipe and the A/C compressor.

149043583-L.jpg

The downpipe. See the aluminum blocking plate. That is where I want to stick a slash tube to generate vacuum to evacuate the valve cover vent.

149043412-L.jpg

This is currently how I handled the PCV valve. It is a tight space so I had to add some elbows to get the crankcase vent through the PCV valve and into the manifold.

149043535-L.jpg

• 4 months later...

Juan, she polished up nice. Sealed nice and tight to all the orings too. No probs with the tail at all except it comes really close to the thermostat housing. If you could shorten one or both ends of it by 1/4" or 3/16" it would eliminate the interference. Of course it may depend on the length of the injectors. Longer injectors would raise the rail up off the therm. housing.

I am using Ford Lightning (bosch 42#) injectors. With the injectors pushed all the way into the mainfold, and the fuel rail pushed all the way down on the injectors, the bottom of the rail is flush with the back corner of the thermostat housing. I could not push the rail any further down than it is now. I can take a detail photo of the contact point for you later today so you can see what I mean. It fit's but it's really close.

-Dave

Pretty close, but just enough room!

198554464-M.jpg