HybridZ

Free driving course offered to teenagers

CORPCRIM

I read about this in the LA Times this past weekend and I thought I might share it since most teenage drivers (myself included) don't properly know how to get out of a skid or other dangerous things that happen while driving. I hope all the teenage drivers on HybridZ would check this out because we all know that we don't want our Z's to end up here... Wrecked Z Thread

"A program to help teenage drivers improve their behind-the-wheel skills comes to the Southland next week.

Called Driver's Edge, the half-day of classroom and on-the-road training is offered at no charge. Wait-list applications are still being taken.

Two sessions — 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. — are to be held April 21 at Santa Anita Park, 285 W. Huntington Drive, Arcadia.

Costs for such programs run by for-profit outfits can easily hit $400, but Driver's Edge is underwritten by sponsors including tire maker Bridgestone Americas, the CarMax Foundation and the IndyCar Series.

The program is open to drivers age 15 to 21 who hold a valid learner's permit or driver's license and who register in advance at www.driversedge.org." -Los Angeles Times

I signed up but it turns out that the class is full. I am now on this "waiting list" and hope to get some kind of notice that I'm in because although I'm confident with my driving abilities, I would still like to be a tad bit more comfortable while driving in diffrent conditions.

Even if I don't get to be apart of the event, I'm still going to show up to watch how things go.

I'll be there (1pm) in my Z so if any other people wanna meet up and have some kind of small Z meet.

you can't beat free...that's a deal.

but from my experience...I'd say get any new driver a day in an autocross event and in a drift event, sometimes they are about $25 a day to about $50 in some areas....but the lessons they could learn is worth it. For car people it's fun...for student drivers or for people who wants to feel what happens when they press the brake (or gas) too hard in a corner and wants to learn how a car re-acts...it's an eyeopener. Plus, they also learn to look ahead and see where they have to go at a quiker pace than what normal driving entails. I taught my wife how to drive that way, and she's 39 years old and Japanese (the worst person to teach).... one year since she's got her licence...no accidents. I might have scared her too much though, she's now a driver thats afraid to speed... which works for me.

I also taught her on bald heavy tires, and now her car has light grippy tires...and she's not a car person, but she has respect for other cars on the road that might have those crappy tires on it in front of her....so she keeps her distance better than other people do on the highway.