HybridZ

Twin Turbo Project

Guest StereoGuy

Guest StereoGuy

Ok I need help from some of you that know what you are doing. I'm looking for an engine for a sandrail. So I need something light 300+hp and is kind of compact(inline 6)a bit long. I'm trying to do this with a smaller budget. Other wise I would buy a chevy ls1 ($8000) and just be done. So I have been looking online and saw the vg30dett for a what seems pretty cheap for 300hp.

1. So what would I need to get it to run in a different vehicle?
  2. What do I need for a computer?
  3. I can get rid of all smog stuff so what will that take?
  4. Is there someone in so ca that is good with this engine that I could talk to?
  5. Anyone have the weight of this engine?

Thanks for the help.

the engine is very heavy and weighs about 600 pounds but its power potential outweighs that. Far as the ecu goes I would just run the factory one and buy a new harness for it as the old ones are usually cracked due to the extreme engine bay heat. In reality theres only really six or seven wires that dont go to the engine itself to run the engine. go to phatg20.net for an fsm on the 300zx and to see a wiring diagram. peace.

SR20 is capable of 300 HP in near stock form and is pretty lite also.

You can get a complete front clip for around 3-4K which would have everything you need to get it running. ECU, wire harness, ect ect. with a turbo and injector intercooler upgrade you would be looking at 400+ at the wheels.

The VG30DE-TT is VERY complex and VERY pricy$$$

I am a BIG FAN of the SOHC VG30E with custom manifolds and a par of T25's :D you can go 400WHP on ANY VG30 on a budget. and plenty of junkyard parts are available.

If you use a Maxima VG30 you can use a maxima 5-speed and keep everything Mid engine RWD

Also the Nissan Bluebird was FWD with the SR20 as well as the Sentra SE-R / Infinity G20

Oh and the VG30DE-TT will bolt right up to that FWD Maxima tranny if you use a 88 Z31 clutch and a 90-96 Z32 TT flywheel ;)

Guest StereoGuy

I can't use a nissan tranny so that won't be an issue. I'm basicly trying to get an engine that will have good hp and good tq. Don't want to break the bank. But I can get rid of all smog equipment and only need an alternator and maybe power steering if I choose to go that route. I think the rb26 would be cool but alittle long. The vg30 sounds pretty good but maybe a bit heavy. Not sure how the s20 would work for torque. Also I need something that will not break(in theory). Reliability is key. Making a trip to the desert to have the toys break down sucks..

For a sand rail I would go with a KA24DE out of a 93-98240sx 98-03 Frontier or a 96-02 Altima. They are 155HP stock take alot of abuse and are in every junk yard in the US

I really like the VG30 though and the KA win never make the power & TQ that the VG will. and On the other had the SR20 is light.

I a sand rail you won't need alot of crazy power to be quick. that's why I'd go KA with a smalinh turbo

I a sand rail you won't need alot of crazy power to be quick. that's why I'd go KA with a smalinh turbo

I agree

What kind of sand rail would you be making. If you didnt need to go over 60 mph you could use something with less power and use taller ratios? Will it all be custom?

my friend has a sand rail with an sr20 in it and a built vw bus tranny behind it. IT's unfortunately a FWD Sr20 and I believe the bolt pattern is different but I am not positive. I can talk to him about making another adapter if you want. peace.

the engine is very heavy and weighs about 600 pounds but its power potential outweighs that. Far as the ecu goes I would just run the factory one and buy a new harness for it as the old ones are usually cracked due to the extreme engine bay heat. In reality theres only really six or seven wires that dont go to the engine itself to run the engine. go to phatg20.net for an fsm on the 300zx and to see a wiring diagram. peace.

Source of 600lbs weight for the VG30DETT? As I've said before, the heaviest part of the engine, the block, weighs ~105 pounds. Where does the other ~500 pounds come from?

Also the Nissan Bluebird was FWD with the SR20 as well as the Sentra SE-R / Infinity G20

No, the Bluebird is AWD and the SE-R/G20 never came turbocharged. They are both FWD NA. The AWD transmission must be discarded and the stock FWD transmission used.

For a sandrail I would think you could rig up the AWD tranny, though.

- Greg -

I can't use a nissan tranny so that won't be an issue. I'm basicly trying to get an engine that will have good hp and good tq. Don't want to break the bank. But I can get rid of all smog equipment and only need an alternator and maybe power steering if I choose to go that route. I think the rb26 would be cool but alittle long. The vg30 sounds pretty good but maybe a bit heavy. Not sure how the s20 would work for torque. Also I need something that will not break(in theory). Reliability is key. Making a trip to the desert to have the toys break down sucks..
why would you need power steering? most sandrails are mid engine so there is verry little weight in front...

Guest StereoGuy

Ok I'm back, When I said 8k for ls1 that is for a crate engine with exhaust for a rail ,computer,tranny etc. That would be my first choice but just out of the budget right now. Most sandrails are rear engine not mid engine. They're are alot of mid engine out there but not as many as rear. In any case I'm building a rear. As far as speed goes it will need to go well over 100mph. Weight will be in the 1800-2300lb area I'm estimating alot has to do with what engine I go with(inter cooler, turbo,4 or 6 cylinder etc). The reason for power steering isn't because it is hard to turn it is so when you different bumps and transitions that the wheel doesn't yanked out of your hand(can hurt your wrist). It should look something like this when it is done.

100_0463.JPG

100_0464.JPG

This one is using a subaru engine which is also very popular.

IMG_0410.jpg

This one has some kind of v6 I'm guessing a honda 3.2 or 3.5 or caddilac shortstar.

As you can see you need some power....buggie%20wheely%201.jpg

• 7 months later...
Guest deepthinker22

The real "shortstar" was not used by cadilac, but if done right could be a great engine for sand rails. It was in the Olds Aurora and the intrigue. If you buy one dont buy one made before 2000, or make sure your PCM, is new. Its a great engine. However stock is 215Hp, 230ft-lbs. That is with wonder ful luxer.. I mean choking devices on it. The airbox and many bends and scilencers, the exhaust had a small cat, restrictive exhaust, the intake went behind the headlight, etc. Its a great little engine lightweight, alluminum block. DOHC. The one I saw with straight pipes and cone filter coming off the end of it, as well with the improved fuel rails and injectors. (stock aurora computer reprogramed) it was pushing 270-280Hp. It seems small, but with that setup he had a REDICULOUSLy flat power curve. I can't rember tourque, but low end on this thing was great. Plus, ther is a company "mechtech" that has a turbo kit with everithing, and its located in CA. It says 425Hp with that kit. Looks nice to. http://www.mechtech-ms.com/shortstarTurbo.php

Here is a pic

shortstar1.jpg

I am currently trying to mod this in an aurora doing some custom work (super charger, custom intake manifold, etc.) This is a great little engine for sandrails.

Guest StereoGuy

The shortstar is a great engine and is one that I have been looking at. They are used quite a bit in sandrails. I think I've made the decision of going with a wrx sti engine. Resale factor is a big choice for going this route.

The real "shortstar" was not used by cadilac, but if done right could be a great engine for sand rails. It was in the Olds Aurora and the intrigue. If you buy one dont buy one made before 2000, or make sure your PCM, is new. Its a great engine. However stock is 215Hp, 230ft-lbs. That is with wonder ful luxer.. I mean choking devices on it. The airbox and many bends and scilencers, the exhaust had a small cat, restrictive exhaust, the intake went behind the headlight, etc. Its a great little engine lightweight, alluminum block. DOHC. The one I saw with straight pipes and cone filter coming off the end of it, as well with the improved fuel rails and injectors. (stock aurora computer reprogramed) it was pushing 270-280Hp. It seems small, but with that setup he had a REDICULOUSLy flat power curve. I can't rember tourque, but low end on this thing was great. Plus, ther is a company "mechtech" that has a turbo kit with everithing, and its located in CA. It says 425Hp with that kit. Looks nice to. http://www.mechtech-ms.com/shortstarTurbo.php

Here is a pic

shortstar1.jpg

I am currently trying to mod this in an aurora doing some custom work (super charger, custom intake manifold, etc.) This is a great little engine for sandrails.

Guest deepthinker22
The shortstar is a great engine and is one that I have been looking at. They are used quite a bit in sandrails. I think I've made the decision of going with a wrx sti engine. Resale factor is a big choice for going this route.

Resale value on a Wrx engine can acctually be worse off. That engine is prone to more problems, and although curently resale values on it are higher. They havn't leveled off like the shortstar. Plus the WRX as is is not going to give you (correct me if I am thinking of the wrong engine) for the same ammount of money and work. (considering both together) than the shortstar. Another way to put it is that you are going to reach peak HP on the WRX engine much faster than on the LX5. PLus the LX5 when supercharged offers much more tourqe than the WRX. Although all the cheap upgrades are more available for the WRX, in the long run for Big power with more hours/HP you want to go with the LX5. However the WRX does have the advantage of being a smaller displacment and lighter weight engine. That is for certain and should not be underestimated. Money back is going to be harder in the long run on the wrx. If you are interested in that, then go to a junkyard rip a LX5 out of an intrigue, and then rebuild it, and I know of a place where you can get racing engine computers for it. Then look at it as an investment. One other thing. The LX5 runs at much less RPMs, the WRX runs at much higher RPMS for peak power. Also when the LX5 is not choked to death by oldsmobile, the engine has a much flatter power curve and benifits greatly from a low PSI high response turbo. The lower RPMS, also makes it easier to use a smaller transmission with larger steps between gear ratios without sacrificing power band. This leads to better transmission life, (lower jump if same HP) and the ability to tweak your tranny by changing final output drive ratio. Say a three speed or a 4 speed sequential vs a larger close 6 or 5 speed. When chosing compare apples to apples. The turn around from cost should not just be looked at by what is selling NOW. You need to look at what will it sell for in the future, which can i get cheaper, how much do i want to put into it, ease to find/get parts, price of upgrades (major and minor). If you want you can come check out my LX5 engine, (some mods) after I get it tuned, and then compare it to sombody elses WRX, thats the best way to make that decision. Or if you can find sombody who will let you drive his LX5 "sandrail" one with a WRX. Have fun, I would like to see pics of your project when you start. Not many people do pics start to finish. Good luck too.