HybridZ

Paint Stripping Options?

icesky

^^^ I would have to say your tool choice or method of the two you mentioned, depends very much upon the condition of your undercoating,(still soft and pliable, or hard and dried out). I had alittle of both and originally started with the torch, scraper method, but to get all of the now gooey uc off required working as fast as the heat would allow you to. The needle scraper sped up the process quite a bit. Pros and cons to both methods, (noisy, vibrating needle scaler, or horrible smelling, burning gooey uc). In the end, the tools of choice for me were the Snap On "crud thug", and the needle scaler and pnumatic chisel both purchased from china freight. Not a fun job but, makes all the difference in the world knowing what condition your metal is in. Best of luck either way...

Thanks for the tip on the crud-thug!

It looks like snap on doesnt sell them anymore, and they infrequently pop up on eBay from time to time. After watching some videos, I think I'm hooked on it! TP tools does make a version that lists for ($200) half of what the snap on unit ($400) did, which I may look into. I have their blasting stuff for my powder coating, and it's some of the best I've used! A company that I've never had any experience with, MBX, makes a version that looks just like the snap on one as well.

It's expensive, but I see myself using this thing a LOT in the future!

Also, did you have any more pictures of your rotisserie? I'll be building my own, and am considering adding in 2 hydraulic rams for lifting, and making it adjustable to fit a variety of vehicles, mainly so I can sell it when I'm through with it ;)

Cockerstar,

I got lucky and scored the very clean crud thug from ebay for $240 shipped. It had a set of 4 new belts and the erasure wheel, which seemed to be the only task they used it for.Love that tool. I have used it for stripping thick,thick bondo, paint, rust. Here are a few more shots of the begining stages of uc removal....

post-736-079004900 1304566593_thumb.jpg

post-736-047309200 1304566610_thumb.jpg

post-736-074309500 1304566624_thumb.jpg

i sand blasted the bottom of my car, all done in 15 mins (commercial size tow behind 185 compressor and huge blaster). i wouldnt sand or soda the shell though. if blasting you should plastic media blast. soda will leave a residue and voids 9/10 paint warrantys.

^ZTR

How much media did you use?

Im looking at blasting the under side, engine bay, and the interior...shell is already DA'd and primered

Just trying to get a rough estimate on the amount of media to purchase.

Ill be renting the same 185cfm compressor and about a 300gal pressure blaster to cut down on refill times.

Any help would be appreciated.

The compressor I'm using is a 7.5 hp IR model with a refrigerated air dryer, so I'll have plenty of dry air to use! For blasting I have a trailer mounted IR P185 (185cfm) if I was to go that route, but I really, really don't want to deal with sand in every crevice of the body for the rest of forever! Hell, if I'm stripping the shell down this far, I might as well powder coat the whole underside, right ;)

Nelsonian, that's a pretty great price! I just found out that one of my fabrication buddies has one, and he let me borrow it! I'm going to try to play with it a bit and report back with how much I love it! Thanks for those pics! They will come in handy in about a month :)

• 2 weeks later...

Were those 50lb bags of sand? im looking at getting some black diamond coal slag media that sells for about 8 bucks per 50lb bag.

I dont wanna deal with the issues with blasting with free silica.

I might buy a few more bags just in case. I think it took me around 4-5 bags just to do the engine bay, granted that was blasting with a itty bitty 40lb pot blaster.

thanks for the info!

powder coat the bottom?! ha I hope you have a big oven to throw the car in!!

Out of curiosity, how much was a rental of an industrial size compressor and blaster?!

There is a powder coater right across the street from me that has two ovens that are big enough to put the entire shell in.

I seriously contemplated it for a while as they only charge $3/sq ft. however, I dont wanna deal with trying to cover up the chips after a few years on the road after the fact.

the 185CFM tow behind compressor is $92/day and the 200# pot blaster is $46/day. the #300 blaster is $75/day.

This was the cheapest local rental place I found around here so im sure you could search around some rental places and come up with similar prices.

Hope that helps.

Were those 50lb bags of sand? im looking at getting some black diamond coal slag media that sells for about 8 bucks per 50lb bag.

I dont wanna deal with the issues with blasting with free silica.

I might buy a few more bags just in case. I think it took me around 4-5 bags just to do the engine bay, granted that was blasting with a itty bitty 40lb pot blaster.

thanks for the info!

yea they were the bigger of the bags. what is it 25lb and 50lb usually.... or is it 50 and 80, i cant remember i think 50 though.

i blasted it out in the middle of nowhere and i used my scuba tank and my nira full face mask (like a firefighter one but for scuba), it was heavy as hell but 15mins screw it...

powder coat the bottom?! ha I hope you have a big oven to throw the car in!!

Out of curiosity, how much was a rental of an industrial size compressor and blaster?!

I don't have an oven that big... yet! I can cure it all using IR heat lamps though like I do for frames.

It's a serious PITA, but I can't justify that 10'x8'x8' oven yet ;) I'm more focused on smaller custom work (candies, translucents, metallics, etc) rather than the industrial sized stuff for now, as the industrial shops can process the big items a LOT more cheaply than I can.

I finally decided on the design I'm going to go for with my rotisserie for next month, and it'll be a hybrid of Nelsonian's above in this thread and the one discussed in posts #9 and 11 here. I may also incorporate some bearings, but it really doesn't seem like it's necessary, especially if you have some kind of counterweight mechanism.

Edited by cockerstar

• 6 months later...

I don't have an oven that big... yet! I can cure it all using IR heat lamps though like I do for frames.

It's a serious PITA, but I can't justify that 10'x8'x8' oven yet ;) I'm more focused on smaller custom work (candies, translucents, metallics, etc) rather than the industrial sized stuff for now, as the industrial shops can process the big items a LOT more cheaply than I can.

I finally decided on the design I'm going to go for with my rotisserie for next month, and it'll be a hybrid of Nelsonian's above in this thread and the one discussed in posts #9 and 11 here. I may also incorporate some bearings, but it really doesn't seem like it's necessary, especially if you have some kind of counterweight mechanism.

You should have a build post just for your rotisserie!