HybridZ

L series - Positive crank case pressure, too much.

Ok i'm reading the Holset HY35W service manual.

Oil leaking from the turbine housing indicates the following :

*Restrictive turbocharger oil drain line

(remove restriction or replace damaged parts)

*Restrictive engine crankcase breather

(refer to engine manufactors manual, clear restriction

*Turbocharger bearing housing sludged or coked

(change engine oil and oil filter, overhaul or replace turbocharger)

*Worn engine pistons rings or liners

(refer to engine manyfactureres manual and repair as required)

*Burnt valves and/or pistons

(refer to engine manyfactureres manual and repair as required)

*Excessive dirt build up on compressor wheel and/or diffuser vanes

(clean in accordance with details in appropriate Holset publication

*Turbocharger damaged

(find anc correct cause of failure, repair or replace turbo as necessary)

Could the turbo be coked?! well thats a possibility...

Worn engine rings/pistons rings?! Well no because all of my cylinders read the same compression and my plugs are not fouled.

Bad valves or valve seals?! If oil was leaking through the valve seals or valves, the smoke would occur on start up.. NOT after 5 min and the exhuast is nice and toasty. Plus my plugs would be fouled with oil correct?!

Turbo is clean clean clean.. so I have no effn idea

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you guys think of an engine driven or electric vacuum pump!?

Alot of the big drag cars, with a low idle vacuum use these to decrease blow by?!

Airplanes use vacuum pumps as well. Maybe I can grab a Volvo or SAAB "cruise" vacuum pump and maybe generate 18" in. hg. and see if it'll fix anything.

What do you guys think of an engine driven or electric vacuum pump!?

Alot of the big drag cars, with a low idle vacuum use these to decrease blow by?!

Airplanes use vacuum pumps as well. Maybe I can grab a Volvo or SAAB "cruise" vacuum pump and maybe generate 18" in. hg. and see if it'll fix anything.

My car only pulls ~5"hg at idle, and I do not have this problem. My PCV system is plumbed essentially like the stock setup - block vent to the PCV, which is plumbed to manifold vacuum, and crank vent to the turbine inlet. Both have oil separators inline, but otherwise the same configuration as stock.

Find the actual problem before looking for exotic solutions - the stock setup works just fine, so long as things as plumbed correctly, and nothing is clogged. Adding a pump at this point would only be a very expensive and overly complex band-aid.

Are you certain that the PCV valve is plumbed correctly? If it's check valve is backwards (possible if it's not the stock pcv), you would be pressurizing the block, for instance.

Also, somebody else already asked this I think, but how long are you giving it before concluding that it's still broke? If the turbo seal (or whatever) dumped a bunch of oil in the exhaust system, it would proably act like you describe (i.e., doesn't smoke at startup, then starts smoking after things have warmed up a bit), and it could easily take 30 to 45 minutes of freeway driving (constant load) to clear it all out. Driving for 5 or 10 minutes is probably not enough. Idling for 5 or 10 minutes is definitely not enough.

Tim I checked the PCV valve...

it is flowing propely.. opens during vacuum closes during boost.

with the car idling I can tell the block is under vacuum, as when I pull my oil dipstick you can hear the baby hissing... so that's a good thing.

I think I will try pulling the turbo off and driving it around for 10 minutes or so.. if the car smokes its the engine. If it doesnt smoke I know its the turbo.

• 2 weeks later...
Where abouts should I drill and tap for the PCV valve? Would it be be ok where I have made the red marking?

dsc00248fp5.jpg

Look at the plug that is about 4-5" to the right of your red mark. That's where the PCV is installed on my manifold. Can't tell from this picture, but the hole may already be the correct size. Mine was.

OK I did some tests

I can hold the throttle at 4,000 RPM for example and no smoke.

When I let off and let the car widn back down to idle and then quickly add gas it shoots a CLOUD of smoke.

SOO.. narrowing it down.. smoke is only during deceleration and/or when the engine is winding down.

Does this point out any possibilites?!

BTW i purchased a new valve spring compressor so I'll change them tomarrow with the head on. but I was hoping my description might help.

I think Garrett is on to the right idea.. on decel or engine wind down.. the vacuum goes to about 20" in. hg. while idle is 10" in hg. seems like the increased vacuum is pulling in oil from maybe the valve stem seals!?

I do believe smoke on decel is a sign of bad rings too. I remember my buddy telling me about his truck shooting thick clouds of oil smoke through the Yosemite valley when he was going downhill with bad rings and engine braking to try and preserve the brakes...

Alright..

Well I changed the valve seals.. some Viton valve stem seals from Fel-Pro I bought many many many months ago.

Took about 2 hrs

I am going to give it a drive after a quick shower.

BTW - This valve spring compressor ROCKS!!!

14119052792.jpg

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdengi13.html#3087 (its on the very bottom part number KD 3087)