HybridZ

Killing a wild boar

rudypoochris

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You also need to consider the type of terrain you will be hunting in.

Pigs like to hide in brush. In the woods a 600 yard scoped rifle will be next to useless. A heavy round better penetrates brush. High velocity stuff won't fare too well.

But a shotgun with slugs will stop just about anything.

I vote a 357 pistol. A be a man about it and stay out of the trees. Or better yet, get a couple of pit bulls trained to hunt pigs. They have jaws that lock, so when the latch onto the pig he can't shake them loose. The pig will run through the woods until it gets too tired to drag the dog any farther. At that point you can walk up and shoot them point blank with even a small caliber hand gun.

Believe this or not......a good friend of mine told me about his first adventure of hunting down boars on horseback, with dogs, and once the boars had tired some and was somewhat restricted by the dogs and horses, he jumped from the horse onto the back of the boar and slit it's throat with a big old knife....just as bschultz suggests. Really, its a true story.....I told my buddy he was nuts!!!! He said to me....."Oh, but the rush is awsome!" Mind you, this same guys races trophy trucks....how if that isn't enough of a rush in itself!!!

Tom

An acquaintance of mine was in his tree stand with a hunting knife when a deer walked under. Jerry, a Vietnam vet, looked at the deer and thought... boy, I have killed men and I have killed deer. I have killed deer every which way, with a gun, muzzleloader, bow, pistol... What would be really cool is if I jumped down and killed this buck with my hunting knife.

Now Jerry was about 5'9" and 250 lbs. He jumped on the deer and stabbed it with his hunting knife. This made the deer angry. The deer stood there and pummelled Jerry in the chest and stomach. Every once in a while, the deer would start to leave and walk away. Then the deer would come back and punch Jerry in the chest some more. Jerry was lying on the ground by now. Eventually the deer left for the last time. It was after about 30 minutes of beating.

Jerry went to the doctor and stayed in the hospital for a couple of weeks. When Jerry got out, he told me that the deer had killed him. Apparently, the deer had so irreparably damaged his liver that he was given 2 years to live. A year and a half later, Jerry went in the hospital and eventually died of liver failure.

If Bambi can do that, imagine what Pumbaa can do. By the way, I think Jerry should have won the Darwin award for the decade.

Oh, to answer the question. Every person I know who has taken a scoped rifle to pig hunt has been very disappointed. It is hard to shoot a moving pig at 50 feet with a scoped rifle. A female friend of mine used her 20 gauge that worked fine. My recommendation would be a .270 or bigger rifle with open sights. If you wanna go cheap like you said, an SKS will work fine and give multiple shots. An AK-47 shoots the same ammo and kicks a lot less and has better accuracy imho but they cost more. A Remington 30-06 pump rifle would work too, but it will tear your shoulder off.

I think I am going to just get a cheap used, non scoped rifle. After I go through hunter safety I am going to look for an old WWII rifle, something that uses 30-06 or one of those old russian things with an equivalent size round 7.6Xmm. I think that will be a good start. The lady at big 5 was very helpful, told me to check if it is "shot out" and recommended I go to "the gun exchange" where a bunch of old guys can tell me the best way to do this. :)

in the coast range mountains in central ca there are lotsa of wild pig.locals use pit bulls to track them and shoot them after the dogs corner them.usually with 44 mag pistol.problem is the pigs dont move much in the day.if you see 4x4 trucks with vented boxes in back those are dog kennels.my pick of a rifle would be a good 30-06 or .308-these shoot fast and flat.

chris, if you want, you're welcome to tag along with me tot eh range, so you can test out the mosin nagant for yourself

Wow. That would be awesome. I am living up in Davis right now, but I might take you up on that. I want to first take a basic hunter safety lesson/course then I'll contact you.

Well... I quickly found out that M1 Garands are not cheap or eays to find (this became my dream gun real quick... classic wood... 8 shots... 30-06, what else do I need!). :icon_frow

I shot a 30-30 yesterday and liked it alot. I think the 30-06 will be better though. Any suggestions for comparable guns (SKS??? how much is it? Hard to find?). I prefer semi-automatic, but I want to buy a relatively cheap used gun. I think the Mosin Nagat is sounding like it right now... unless you all know otherwise...

SKS = cheap, about 150$? Find them just about everywhere. The ammo 7.62X39 is weaker though, IIRC it is only a bit better than 30-30.

I'd use a 30-06 Parker-Hale : modernized Mauser action(control feed), adjustable trigger and a quick safety. If you want to use the Mosin Nagant, you want to make sure you know how to operate the safety in a hurry(a bit tricky).

A Parker-Hale Mauser action rifle :

http://www.waldu.ee/pood/parkerhale.jpg

I am looking at krags and .303 Enfields right now. Something about a 110 year old gun makes me smile. The ballastics on the SKS aren't very good. The krags and the enfields are good though somehting imbetween the 30-30 and the 30-06. Unfortunately they might be more on the pricey side for gun as well as ammo.

.303 ammo is really expensive. if you buy quality stuff, it's 20 bucks for 20 rounds at most stores. I dunno, dollar per bullet = expensive. milsurp is cheaper but still expensive compared to mosins

you can get a mosin 91/30 (that's 1891 design, retooled in 1930), in pretty damn good condition. an ATI monte carlo stock for 50 bucks. I bought 300 rounds of milsurp ammo for it from aimexpress.com for $30. It's pretty nice and clean ammo too. Also, 7.62x54r is pretty much the same as 30-06 and .303

you can also find enfields chambered for .308 as well. if you're looking to spend 300-400, I'd opt for the savage rifles big5 carries

.303 Lee-Enfield seems ok, I just tested mine with several empty shells : although it is in theory a push-feed, but the large extractor let it functions as if it were a control-feed. Of all the common military weapons, the M1 Garand and the Lee-Enfield has the best sights : aperture, but they are harder to put a scope on if you decide to later.

230$? I didn't know Chinese SKS is that expensive in the US. Here in Canada we still allow import of firearms from China, we can get SKS for 150$CDN, thats about 130$US right now...

Rudy - if you are in Davis, you probably know of the GIANT hunting/fishing shop in Vacaville. I think it's off Alamo. right off 80 (on the right as you are coming down the hill from Fairfield toward Davis). The apparel and accessories are on the first level while the guns and ammo is on the second. Lots of knowlegable people there, a TON of inventory.

Rudy - if you are in Davis, you probably know of the GIANT hunting/fishing shop in Vacaville. I think it's off Alamo. right off 80 (on the right as you are coming down the hill from Fairfield toward Davis). The apparel and accessories are on the first level while the guns and ammo is on the second. Lots of knowlegable people there, a TON of inventory.

Ya I do. They seemed a little reluctant to acctually help out when I went. Seemed more into selling me a new rifle than actually spending the time to help me choose something right. It was probably just a busy day...

I had MUCH better success at a place called the RC "Gun Exchange", I will probably buy from them if I don't find what I am looking for.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a222/fishingitup/Guns/

Just bought an 1891 Argentine Mauser over craigslist.org. The seller is saying that since it is an antique I do not need to do any paperwork or background check. I do not know if rifles are "registered" or not to a person. Do I need to do some paper work at the gun shop to be completely in the clear?

As for transporting a gun in your car, It is true that the weapon must be seperate from the ammo, but can the weapon be in the trunk of say, a wagon (nothing physically locking it away from you), with the ammo in the glove, locked.

Thanks guys!