HybridZ

My FX35 Bi-Xenon headlight project...PICS!

80LS1T

Well I have one headlight almost done and half of the other one done. I am using a Bi-Xenon projector from and Infinity FX35 with 350Z bulbs, ignitors, and ballast. The housing that I am using is actually a cut up and modified crappy "ebay specials headlights". The cover over all of it is from

Victory British and they are actually ment for protecting your hallogen headlights, I am just using them as a lens!

The blinkers are 3 LED's that I got off ebay. I had to do this since I shaved the ones that go in the bumper off.

off2.JPG

off.JPG

Low Beam on(just the right side)...

lowbeam2.JPG

A little blurry but also just the low beam on....

lowbeam.JPG

Ok very blurry but this is the high beam on. Basically there is a solenoid inside the projector that moves a plate that allows more light to go through the projector....

highbeam.JPG

Here's the blinker on...

blinker.JPG

Guy

Guest 280ZForce

they look awesome!

welcome to the brighter side of the world Guy, where you can now see the world night in your Z and see where the heck your going. Trust me, you will not ever think twice about going through this modification. Well, well worth it!

we need a xenon projector club on here! :wink:

I'll take some pics of the left side going together. It took me a while to figure out how to put all this together so there was a lot of trial and error on the first one.

Yes, stock adjustment is still usable. I am using the stock wiring harness. The low beam power wire will power up the light and the high beam power wire will flip the solenoid. I don't have it wired in yet, I was just using some wire and a battery to power up the light for testing purposes.

I still have to figure out a way to seal up the back of the headlight so water can't get inside. Hopefully I can get that done today! I'll try to post some pics soon of the left side going together!

Guy

I'm not sure if this is true for the Z (since I don't have the original headlight wiring harness nor bi-xenon projectors in mine), but in most modern cars turning on the high beam shuts off the power to the low beam (dual filament bulbs use only one filament at a time). Thereby you will not be able to run the ballast off the low beam power source and then use the high beam switch to activate the solenoid, as it wont do you much good to trip the solenoid and have the light itself go out. Other than that it looks good, just make sure you seal it up well in the back, you don't want water getting to those wires that carry 20,000 volts.

I'm not sure if this is true for the Z (since I don't have the original headlight wiring harness nor bi-xenon projectors in mine), but in most modern cars turning on the high beam shuts off the power to the low beam (dual filament bulbs use only one filament at a time). Thereby you will not be able to run the ballast off the low beam power source and then use the high beam switch to activate the solenoid, as it wont do you much good to trip the solenoid and have the light itself go out. Other than that it looks good, just make sure you seal it up well in the back, you don't want water getting to those wires that carry 20,000 volts.

I haven't looked at the original 280ZX wiring diagram yet so I'm not 100% sure if it will work the way I'm planning it.

Yeah sealing this thing up is going to be the hardest part.

I'll be sure to post lots of pics and details of how I did everything once I'm done/almost done.:-D

Guy

looks beautiful, ur tempting me to black mine out! excellent find on the 7" headlight protector things, i'm assuming they help a fair bit with clearance at the back! how well sealed are they at the front? and are the just a type of plastic?

The lens is just plastic(flexable even). They are sitting on the housing I made and then I have it taped onto the housing with electrical tape so that I can get inside of it if need be. I was going to glue them on but I want to be able to remove them if need be(clean or replace them if needed). You can't see the tape though because the chrome trim ring is covering that part of the housing.

The clearance in the back is still pretty tight. Getting it all seaed up and still able to change out the bulb is going to be the hardest part!

Guy

I made this so it is plug and play of a sort. Everything is soldered and heatshrinked. I'm still missing the connectors for the battery and ground and the solenoid wires (that I have just haven't crimped them on). You connect to your stock bulb plug and it gets signal from there. On that same run I added the diode that goes across the high beam and low beam. Also from there I ran 2 lines for the bi-xenon solenoid. If you want i can make you a harness just let me know the type of connector or the bulb (i.e. H7, H4, etc). and the dimensions of where you want to mount everything. I have everything to make a harness just need to know the bulb connector.

Thanks for the offer on the harness but I was planning on doing the same myself. I think I will be doing the same with the diode. What kind/size/rating of diode did you use?

Guy

Good Deal! I got all my stuff from Partsexpress.com. Here's the link to the diode I used. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=6A-1KV&CFID=35961&CFTOKEN=63128770

It's 6Amp diode part Number: 6A-1KV

The place is awesome has loads of things and fast shipping to boot! feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or need any help.