HybridZ

Anyone with MSII try MS2 extra ?

Clifton

I've thought about it, but MSII does everything I need on my NA engines. When the turbo build is complete, then I'll start looking at MSII Extra.

Also, I've looked at the MSII and the MS-I extra source code. The extra code has so much stuff packed in there, it scared me off.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Well I recently caught the car on fire so I have not been able to test any new settings. The boost control was not working to well, Hopefully in the next few months it will be back up and running. If any one has any luck with any extra settings please let everyone know how it was done if there were problems.

I switched to it at the same time as I switched to the MSII processor and it was almost like starting over. None of my VE tables were worth anything. The good news is that the higher power of the ms II processor seems to give a much more stable idle, and the idle control algo is better than with MS I. Also the O2 correction is much more sophisticated and offers 3 approaches.

I'm running NA so haven't bothered to try launch control as I really don't need it.

All in all it's a much better solution, but I was not expecting it to be so much different from MS I extra. Still, the tuning process went a A LOT faster the second time since I was much more experienced with the whole tuning process.

Naviathan, I've read the same thing although to read the Megasquirt documentation one would think that they both follow the same concept of calculating the required PW based on the ideal gas law. Hence you'd expect the tables to be pretty similar, yet they weren't in any way related.

It really isn't a big deal except that I had expected the swap to only take an hour or so. That was my mistake.

What were the issues that you had with the boost control?

Well I recently caught the car on fire so I have not been able to test any new settings. The boost control was not working to well, Hopefully in the next few months it will be back up and running. If any one has any luck with any extra settings please let everyone know how it was done if there were problems.

Guest mafiaz

sorry to hear that paul wow this was an old thread back from the dead hopefully you get the car back on the road

jung list from what i read and searched not allot of success w/ the boost control option in ms2 using the gm boost controller of those turbo diesel trucks.

Well at the time there were alot of beta versions comming out, Every one was dif. I see that people are talking about how ve tables were not the same. I used every beta version out up until beta 21 and settings kept changing in all of them, but at the same time things became more reliable.

My last atempt at boost control was on beta 18 I think. There were problems with it. Its kinda confusing on how to use it, Its not like a normal boost controller were you say 10 psi and thats what it does. There was not a lot of write ups on it when I was using it, hopefully now there is. When I get the new car up and running I will be using the new release I think MSII Extra 2.0.1 with the error* board. The error board was a great thing to have. My last dyno run went ok I was a little lean and had a miss fire way up top, That was on beta 18.

Well it good to see people finaly trying to use MSII extra, I could of used some ideas a year ago but thats what happens when you use beta versions.

• 2 weeks later...
MSII Extra DOES have closed loop O2 control. There are now 3 choices for the algorithm used to control it.

Ah, gotcha. I will have to look over the benefits list again. I was trying to find substantial positives and negatives about the 'extra' logic.

If only they'd allow me to tune my fuel in milliseconds instead of the (completely useless, IMHO) VE percentages.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have a .msq file to share for MS II Extra yet? My MS box is coming here in a few days and I figure I might as well start my tuning with extra so I don't have to expand my tables later.

L28, headers, stage 1 cam, headers, EDIS, NA for now, but I could swap on the stock turbo at the same time if that's the only map I can get.

Chris, here are 2 MSQ files:

MS2E 2.0.1 is the last version I made for use with the RELEASED version of MS2.

MS2E pre-beta 2.1.0 is from the current PRE-BETA build. Most of the improvements are in the area of IAC control, so if you're just getting MS up and running, I would NOT recommend starting with it.

There is not supposed to be any difference in fuel calculations for the new version, BUT there is a bug (that I didn't know about) in the released 2.0.1 that under-values MAPdot for AE by a factor of 10. This bug was fixed in the pre-beta so I landed up retuning AE from scratch. Basically the AE was triggering almost all the time at idle which caused a rich condition. Just keep this in the back of your mind for when you eventually upgrade the final released version of 2.1.x.

MS2E 2.0.1.zip

MS2E pre-beta 2.1.0.zip