HybridZ

My custom guages and display: new project!

LOL... I just remembered that you were "Car Less"...sorry...

Mine is also in automotive limbo! :-P

Guage project has been put on hold until we can find some motors or servos that are not so loud. Still going forward with mounting the display though.

hmm, the servos are really that loud eh? what kind of motors do they use in production guages? i'd assume they're coil wound or something to allow them to snap back quickly

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to everything I have read on those gauges, it is nothing but an electronic stepper motor.

well would any motor work? because I could probably pick up a bunch of them for OTM if my dad can find them.

He could also recommend certain kinds too.

Stepper motors are just electronically controlled to move a certain amount of degrees depending on the pulse width, and if you controlled it properly you could have the "off-throttle" input bring the guage back exactly the same amount of degrees you had moved the guage forward in total.

But i think that's too much of a difficult circuit to compile, especially using regular IC's.

I'd much rather do it fully digital if possible and use like a programmable IC of some sort.

That is how the servos work...Just send them a certain pulse width and they go a certain amount of their full travel.

Programming is not an obstacle here.

The difference is that servos have "memory" of where they are... With stepper motors you have to count steps. Not that big of a deal though.