HybridZ

My custom guages and display: new project!

Well I just typed up a huge thread and didn't copy it before I hit submit. It just vanished so here I go again.

Here is a fairly current picture of my lightweight aluminum dashboard and temporary switch board. (notice lack of stock wiring)

m48628339.jpg

I am going to be making my own microprocessor controlled guages for my dashboard. They will have a sweep of 180 degrees and I can lay them out any I want on my dashboard.

The face of the dash that I have to work with is 6" tall and goes 52" across IIRC with a weld seam vertically in the middle under the divider.

I also have this fun little item from Japan to work with.

It is a flourescent display that is 64 pixels high and 256 pixels wide. Aproximately 3.5-4" across.

The display looks fuzzy but it is just so bright that the camera is blooming the picture. It is infact very crisp.

m89823902.jpg

m89823690.jpg

Obviously I have played with it a bit and will use this screen as the boot-up screen for when it turns on.

I'm trying to figure what guages I am going to work into it. Probably AFR eventually and maybe EGT.

It will house my odometer I know.

One option I have is to mount this display on the top of the dash with a piece of lexan angled back so that it can be used as a heads up display.

This type of display has been used as a heads-up display in many cars.

So what do y'all think?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your backround in electronics, is this stuff all self taught? I am an EE student at Cal Poly (graduating in June!!!) and I am just curious where your experience comes from for this kind of project.

What kind of system is this going to be, are you going to be programming in VHDL, assembler, C... What kind of microprocessor are you going to do? This seems like a huge undertaking, sounds like a lot of fun though.

Niceguy: I was rolling that idea around in my head earlier today... I may do that.

78zlt1: There are a couple chip options. I'm thinking the PIC16F88 is what we will be using for this project.

BobbyZ:

Yes it is a big project but tiny in comparison to what the next unnamed project will be. My dad has been tinkering in this stuff for 15+ years so he knows all about designing circuitry and programming on his own sothiswill be easy stuff.

I think he mostly does programming in "picbasic"

a HUD would be so awesome. is it bright enough?

Plenty bright enough. I'm looking into how it will be set up for proper angling. I don't think projecting it onto the curved windshield (with the HUD film) is really an option. It might seriously distort the guage.

I have another option though that I am thinking through and it sould work well. *think fighter jet*

I ran around town all day today with NO guages... :-P

You can tell when you are low on gas when you can hear gas coming from the fuel return and not splashing into gas back into the bottom of the tank...LOL

Premium gas is $3.24 a gallon!!! and we "have it good" in ATL!!!

This stinks!

Next time I am just going to try "plus" grade gas.

• Administrators

Ala-bomb-a-rama…

Very cool. I like the display…

Can you get it to animate a rolling tire doing a foggy and then rolling off the end of the screen… :burnout: Post it in the FOGGY burnout thread…

I also like the HUD idea. Definitely carries a lot of WOW factor. Are you going to use the HUD film as used on the early 240 SX for your HUD project?