HybridZ

l28et surging after BOV install

Sounds to me like the cheapo BOV is leaking all the boost out.. try unhooking the vacuum or removing it and plugging the hole. My guess would be that it is leaking boost. I see you are running Megasquirt right? do you have a wideband hooked up as well? see what your AFR's are doing when the surging starts..

Yeah, sounds like she is leaking under boost.. another thing to be aware of when installing a BOV is that sometimes the ecu will not like it unless you are running a MAP based system. AFM and MAF's will have their readings messed up durings shifts and cause black smoke out the tailpipe. Not only that, some BOV's leak ever so slightly even at idle (mine did) and it ran like crap untill I recycled the outlet to the air intake after the MAF. Once I had all the right plumbing it worked fine and that slight leak didn't matter anymore.

"Surges"---as in power delivery comes in surges, the engine makes an intermittent surging sound, or you think the compressor is stalling and actually reversing flow (surge)? If it's datalogged, you will tell right away what is happening.

As Jimbo stated.. he is using Megasquirt which uses a MAP sensor. there is no MAF or AFM. Jimbo, You need to find a way to take the BOV off the engine make a cover plate and bolt it on the BOV flange. make sure there is no leaks.Cap off where you got your vacuum reference to your BOV. run the car and see if it surges. Another way to test for Major boost leaks is to take one section of the pluming off (if you have a intercooler this needs to be on the hot side). get the correct size PVC end cap and make a tiny hole in the end of it. Using a Air compressor put some air into the system.. you can use smoke as well to find leaks. Since your engine wasnt doing this before the BOV install, It most likely is defective or something up with the flange. Also yeah a wideband is a very important gauge to have as well as the ability to datalog(as Tony stated) and look back and whats going on.. Good luck man.

thanks for the advice, but last night i decided screw it, and ordered up an intercooler and some piping, and a (new, yay) bov and connector flange, this just made me rush the intercooler, which isnt a bad thing with the hot weather comming up i guess

matt